Turn on thread page Beta

Trying to deal with Natwest issue. watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OK. A lot of mistakes on my part admittedly but don't know what to do now:

April 2008 - Set up a current account, making it very clear i wanted a simple account into which my student loan could be paid in the future.
    May 2008 - Get charged £4.92 'subscription fee' - ask what this is about, and the branch manager seems baffled and refunds it, assuring me it won't happen again. I switch to Nationwide but leave this account open (hence balance never gets above 0 and i never use this account).
    September 2008 - Charges start again. I don't see them due to uni (should have got my statements forwarded but, well, i didn't).
    January 2009 - Find i have these charges, but this time find that the branch manages claims she can no longer refund it. Told to send a letter to some central office. I do. No response.
    April 2009 - Back from uni again to find still nothing has been done - should have done more here but i was home for like 6 days, very stressed and despairing by this point.
    6th July Decide to get this thing sorted. Charges are over £400 by now (due to being charged for being overdrawn after they charged me the 'subscription'). Give a letter explaining allwith evidence in statements etc to the branch who said they would send it by internal mail to who needs to see it.
    14th July - Having had no response (again) and started receiving threatening letters and phone calls, i call the central office. They claim to have received no letter - the branch never sent it. To add further insult to injury, they said that in fact this type of thing CAN be handled by the branch manager.
    Phone the branch, and the manager seems nice and says she will look into it and phone me back on my mobile on friday
    Fri 17th receive no phone call. Phone branch, and another woman says that the manager was never going to be in today but that i could leave a message so she would call me on Monday. Do that.
    Mon 20th No phone call. Phone branch 11 times between 1pm and 3pm but no answer.
    Tues 21st Phone another 7 times - no answer. Let the call run to customer services - lodge formal complaint about them not calling me.
    wed 22nd Receive particularly threatening letter saying the matter has reached a 'serious stage' and that legal proceedings are now an option for them.

My question: WHAT HAVE I GOT TO DO TO GET NATWEST TO LISTEN TO ME??? I have not even argued the points of the case yet - its literally that people say 'yes i will help you and get this sorted' then just never contact me again.

I get the distinct feeling that as soon as my back is turned they break out into laughter. Its starting to seem like the best option would be to go to the branch and harass other customers until they have heard my case.

I simply cannot afford to give Natwest £400 - what can i do?

ReputationRep:
    Contact the Financial Ombudsman stating your case. Send a letter recorded delivery to Natwest and explain that you've contacted the Financial Ombudsman and they'll reply pretty damn sharpish.

ReputationRep:
    Go into the branch and sort it face to face. Force them to sort it there and then. Did you get a student railcard with your account by any chance? My mate had a similar subscription fee taken out each month to cover that

The Ombudsman has a helpline on 0845 080 1800 or you can fill in the complaint form that is on the Ombudsman's website - click here - don't get upset or let yourself feel bullied by Natwest - just deal with them firmly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hectristic)
    Contact the Financial Ombudsman stating your case. Send a letter recorded delivery to Natwest and explain that you've contacted the Financial Ombudsman and they'll reply pretty damn sharpish.
    This.

When they're dealing with complaints, letters never seem to arrive. But if you want to set up an account, that's different, they're all over you like chicken on rice.

I'm with Natwest and they are pretty shocking. One half never knows what the other half is doing.

Also, send this:

April 2008 - Set up a current account, making it very clear i wanted a simple account into which my student loan could be paid in the future.
    May 2008 - Get charged £4.92 'subscription fee' - ask what this is about, and the branch manager seems baffled and refunds it, assuring me it won't happen again. I switch to Nationwide but leave this account open (hence balance never gets above 0 and i never use this account).
    September 2008 - Charges start again. I don't see them due to uni (should have got my statements forwarded but, well, i didn't).
    January 2009 - Find i have these charges, but this time find that the branch manages claims she can no longer refund it. Told to send a letter to some central office. I do. No response.
    April 2009 - Back from uni again to find still nothing has been done - should have done more here but i was home for like 6 days, very stressed and despairing by this point.
    6th July Decide to get this thing sorted. Charges are over £400 by now (due to being charged for being overdrawn after they charged me the 'subscription'). Give a letter explaining allwith evidence in statements etc to the branch who said they would send it by internal mail to who needs to see it.
    14th July - Having had no response (again) and started receiving threatening letters and phone calls, i call the central office. They claim to have received no letter - the branch never sent it. To add further insult to injury, they said that in fact this type of thing CAN be handled by the branch manager.
    Phone the branch, and the manager seems nice and says she will look into it and phone me back on my mobile on friday
    Fri 17th receive no phone call. Phone branch, and another woman says that the manager was never going to be in today but that i could leave a message so she would call me on Monday. Do that.
    Mon 20th No phone call. Phone branch 11 times between 1pm and 3pm but no answer.
    Tues 21st Phone another 7 times - no answer. Let the call run to customer services - lodge formal complaint about them not calling me.
    wed 22nd Receive particularly threatening letter saying the matter has reached a 'serious stage' and that legal proceedings are now an option for them.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest certainly have their moments. They messed me around so much when i was just trying to change my address and get a new card.

And they managed to get my bf's date of birth wrong :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hectristic)
    this, threaten any sort of legal action and they will be kissing your feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craigie22)
    Go into the branch and sort it face to face. Force them to sort it there and then. Did you get a student railcard with your account by any chance? My mate had a similar subscription fee taken out each month to cover that
    The rail card's free though! And even if you did pay for a rail card, you get them for a one off, £24 payment!

OP, go sit in your local branch for a while. Refuse to leave until you've had it sorted. My boyfriend did something similar and funnily enough they found they could help!

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do don't pay it. Make sure you keep a hard copy of all correspondance. In the unlikely event it went to court, I doubt they would have a leg to stand on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks guys

I phoned the ombudsmen helpline and they say that i need to make a formal written complaint to the head office in order to take it down the formal legal route under which they won't be able to just ignore me.

Worryingly, they have eight weeks to reply, so once i have the letter written etc i'll try to make the branch take this more seriously to get it sorted quicker, though i have little faith left now in their ability to do anything. Worrying to hear Natwest seems to be a little famous for this sort of thing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

They agreed to refund all charges and close the account.

(Original post by nexttime)

They agreed to refund all charges and close the account.

Awesome!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.