Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) In Eastwood, is standard whb more expensive than just standard?

2) Do you only get to apply for one residence on the application form?

3) Are any residences known for being more/less sociable than others? Out of interest - even if you can't apply for them anymore.

4) What's off-campus accommodation like? Is on-campus preferred?

5) Which is the most applied for accommodation and why?

Thanks in advance for any answers It would seem I'm not allowed to apply until results day because it's my insurance...

ReputationRep:
    1) Yes, £5 more a week.

2) Yes.

3) I haven't heard of any more sociable residences. It depends on the people, obviously. I read here that people at Woodland tend to be a little snooty but this is to be expected.

4) I'm not sure about what off-campus accommodation is like but on-campus is probably more sociable and you don't spend as much on transport.

5) It used to be Solsbury/Marlborough but Woodland may have taken the spot now.

ReputationRep:
    I'll add to a couple of the answers

3) kinda logical when you think about it but houses that have more people to a house/corridor will likely be better social wise as there is a higher chance that you'll get on with the people in your group. Westwood tends to be good for this as most have over 12 and up to 19 (although that may of changed now) to a corridor/house. Where as Solsbury/Marlborough have 6. Odd's on there will be people who you won't want to hang around with in your house but with more people per house you won't notice as much (in my first year house of 19 I'm still see about 10 of them regally).

4) off campus by all accounts is very annoying in the first year. First years tend to get more 8:15 lectures and have them more spread out, if your on campus it doesn't really matter as you can roll out of bed 5min before and still be on time and then head back home for the breaks in between. It takes a good 45min at peak times to get to campus from town so you don't get the same luxury off campus. Also you can almost guarantee that most people you know will be on campus so if you have to go up and down to meet people all the time that's annoying as well but not so bad in subsequent years because everyone is then off campus as well.

Having said that you are in the centre of town so it does help for going out in town, food shopping and any other town based activites. Plus the rooms are the best value price:size wise

ReputationRep:
    3) All the Westwood blocks have open access between the kitchen groups on your floor, so you can make friends outside your own kitchen group. In Brendon where I lived (which is obvo the best halls btw) people sort of moved around between the kitchens and formed groups that suited them. Some people actually moved rooms at christmas to be closer to their best friends.
    In general, the halls with larger kitchen groups will be the most sociable.

4) Off-campus accommodation is cheaper, I'll say that. It's also quite sociable, from what I've seen. There are often a lot of overseas students in off-campus so you may end up trying some weird foods at some point!
    On the other hand, the rooms are in need of refurbishing and living in town in the first year is annoying, having to get up much earlier than everyone else. Plus you have to consider the price of a bus pass.

5) It's always the most expensive halls, traditionally. I don't know why!

ReputationRep:
    As it's your insurance, I doubt you'll have an option to apply to a specific accommadation. I am almost certain that you are placed where is available, usually this will be Eastwood, Norwood and John Wood as the other accommadation is usually taken up by students who put the uni down as firm. This might change this year, but pretty certain last year that this was the way it worked.

ReputationRep:
    If it's your insurance then count yourself lucky if you get a room!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elondra)
    If it's your insurance then count yourself lucky if you get a room!!
    Well it does say this...

Accommodation is guaranteed to all new single first year full-time students who have not previously lived in University accommodation, and who have accepted their course offer and applied for accommodation by Thursday 3rd September 2009.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcjazz)
    Well it does say this...

Accommodation is guaranteed to all new single first year full-time students who have not previously lived in University accommodation, and who have accepted their course offer and applied for accommodation by Thursday 3rd September 2009.
    Ah that deadline. Forgot about that, sorry. If they say it's guaranteed then it's probably guaranteed. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    ooh, Bath in my insurance but I had no idea that you could apply, I assumed that there'd be no room on campus and they'll stick you somewhere off campus..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcjazz)
    Well it does say this...

(Original post by narc)
    ooh, Bath in my insurance but I had no idea that you could apply, I assumed that there'd be no room on campus and they'll stick you somewhere off campus..
    I think your pretty likely to get John wood so you are off campus (or maybe Norwood) if you leave it too late and especially if it's your insurance choice

ReputationRep:
    So when do we get to know if we got the accomodation we asked for? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinitoo1)
    So when do we get to know if we got the accomodation we asked for? :rolleyes:
    I'm thinking they'll let us know soonish after results day, assuming we get in! :rolleyes: I asked for Westwood because I want a big group. Where did you ask for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easykill)
    I'm thinking they'll let us know soonish after results day, assuming we get in! :rolleyes: I asked for Westwood because I want a big group. Where did you ask for?
    Hi,
    Well, I have an unconditional offer because I'm not doing the A levels or whatever results people are waiting for :p: (I live in Spain). I asked for Solsbury & Malborough because I like the en-suite option
    Good luck on your results!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Bath
    Main University Open Day covering all Undergraduate faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.