Turn on thread page Beta

Is there anyone out there who knows anyone academic who came out with bad prospects? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone out there who is or knows anyone academic who came out with bad prospects?

I mean people with AAAA, good degree but bad or even mediocre job with just average or meager pay?

ReputationRep:
    Loads.

ReputationRep:
    People might actually choose the 'bad' job. Depends on your definition of bad - I'm considering working for charity, and clearly that isn't exactly a high salary, but if I did go down that route it'd be my own choice. Some people don't desire a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    lots of people. I was working with a girl with a 2:1 cleaning student rooms in the holidays and her job was to be a dinner lady to the students and she was taking on extra cleaning jobs.
    Granted this was the year after she graduated and wasn't her job for life. but alot of people don't just walk into fabulous employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    Loads.
    like what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know got kicked off his Chemistry course, and now sells potatoes at the edge of the road for a living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Is there anyone out there who is or knows anyone academic who came out with bad prospects?

I mean people with AAAA, good degree but bad or even mediocre job with just average or meager pay?
    Why :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I remember an article about genius children who had been in the news for getting into oxford at age 14 and stuff, and most of them turned out to be absolutely nothing, one of the girls was even a prostitute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    like what exactly?
    like someone who has AAAA, is a qualified teacher but is currently working as... a cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's friend has a PhD in Veterinary something (not sure what. :p:) and is working as a waiter because he couldn't find any jobs. Another one of my dad's friends has a PhD in computing and is working at a takeaway because he also couldn't find a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    Someone I know got kicked off his Chemistry course, and now sells potatoes at the edge of the road for a living.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty - there simply aren't that many jobs going at the mo. People will do anything for work, and I don't blame them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    like someone who has AAAA, is a qualified teacher but is currently working as... a cleaner.
    How is there a teacher who can't find a job? I thought we needed more of them?! No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    How is there a teacher who can't find a job? I thought we needed more of them?! No?
    :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    yes | my friend has 3 degrees and has been unemployed for a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    I remember an article about genius children who had been in the news for getting into oxford at age 14 and stuff, and most of them turned out to be absolutely nothing, one of the girls was even a prostitute.
    At 14? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    My Medicine book talked about what to do after completing your degree. It mentioed someone working as a taxi diver. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    It mentioed someone working as a taxi diver. :eek:
    For a lot of people that'd be a great job - relatively well paid, flexible hours, your own boss, relative freedom to work anywhere...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    For a lot of people that'd be a great job - relatively well paid, flexible hours, your own boss, relative freedom to work anywhere...
    But you've just spent 5 years in Med school for the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    But you've just spent 5 years in Med school for the opportunity.
    Could be worse, he could have worked for the nash.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.