Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there anyone out there who knows anyone academic who came out with bad prospects? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mum got a good degreee from a good uni and was a well-rounded high achiever, intelligent with good prospects. She works in a shop for just over minimum wage and cannot get another job. Terrible though it may sound, because of her I don't want to end up at 50 bitter at my kids for the opportunities that they have in front of them.

ReputationRep:
    My dad has an MBBS and has been working as a cab driver for 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    I have a good degree and I'm a street sweeper.

Just kidding. I'm actually unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    No, but I know a few millionaires, one of which never went to uni, the others who went to a "bad" university to do an "easier" course. Life is what you make of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    Someone I know got kicked off his Chemistry course, and now sells potatoes at the edge of the road for a living.
    You know potatoe Steve?

(Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    My dad's friend has a PhD in Veterinary something (not sure what. :p:) and is working as a waiter because he couldn't find any jobs. Another one of my dad's friends has a PhD in computing and is working at a takeaway because he also couldn't find a job.
    Does that mean getting a PhD isn't worth it? Even for the sciences? (In general of course).

ReputationRep:
    My cousin got a First in Accouting and Finance, it's been two years since he's graduated and he still hasn't found a job 8-) But that might be down to the fact that he's a social retard. Who knows? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Does that mean getting a PhD isn't worth it? Even for the sciences? (In general of course).
    I didn't say that. I just answered OP's question. :p: It goes both ways, I could give examples of people with PhDs who have got good jobs. If you want a PhD, go for it. It generally does increase employability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Could be worse, he could have worked for the nash.
    The nash? Sorry, don't know what that means.:o:

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people in situations vaguely similar at the moment, I suspect because of the recession. Despite having left school five years ago, very few people I know have graduate-level jobs (this is Scotland, incidentally, so 4-year degrees are the norm) and those who do are essentially in traineeship type positions earning paltry salaries.

Most people I know are going back into education because, without post-grad stuff it seems impossible to get into a professional career these days. All the sciences students I know - who are usually quite intelligent - seem to need a Ph.D to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, lots of the Eastern European people we know (polish, slovakian) have a good degree in stuff like Economics, but as there's none of those jobs going around they're doing stuff like cleaning. Also some people there have the mentality that if a job pays well you should stick to it, so 1 person I know with a nursing degree who hated nursing, now has been working in a cafe for 5 years, 7 days a week at some point.

ReputationRep:
    i've got a 2.1 in law from the UCL and I'm currently unemployed. good times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    The nash? Sorry, don't know what that means.:o:
    I think they meant the NHS xD
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Is there anyone out there who is or knows anyone academic who came out with bad prospects?

I mean people with AAAA, good degree but bad or even mediocre job with just average or meager pay?
    Has it ever occurred to you that some people with good degrees choose careers with average or meager pay? That not everybody's primary motivation is money? That one has not failed because they're earning average or meager pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    I think they meant the NHS xD

Lol, have to get used to this medic slang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    I remember an article about genius children who had been in the news for getting into oxford at age 14 and stuff, and most of them turned out to be absolutely nothing, one of the girls was even a prostitute.
    It's a bit off topic but how are you finding your law course at the moment? Is it hard or are you finding it easy? Enjoying it? Did your foundation year help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    My mum got a good degreee from a good uni and was a well-rounded high achiever, intelligent with good prospects. She works in a shop for just over minimum wage and cannot get another job. Terrible though it may sound, because of her I don't want to end up at 50 bitter at my kids for the opportunities that they have in front of them.
    I struggle to believe that. If she has a good degree from a good uni and is a well rounded high acheiver and intelligent she'd have a job well above minimum wage. Either you've not told us everything or you're just lying. Sure if you first graduate minimum wage jobs may be what comes your way but after 10 20 years?

ReputationRep:
    Tons of people end up stuck in a rut working in the NHS for rather low pay after doing a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    I remember an article about genius children who had been in the news for getting into oxford at age 14 and stuff, and most of them turned out to be absolutely nothing, one of the girls was even a prostitute.
    Just shows intelligence isn't everything. Apparently the man with the highest IQ ever on record is working as a bouncer in a club. There's been a couple of videos on him if I find one I'll post a link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Has it ever occurred to you that some people with good degrees choose careers with average or meager pay? That not everybody's primary motivation is money? That one has not failed because they're earning average or meager pay?
    **** off, most people's motivation is money, why do so many people opt for jobs in finance for example investment banking, accountancy, etc... Do people study economics because they "love" their subject and they enjoy reading up on it, I don't believe it, maybe to an extent, but it's just ********. I know people who go to Oxbridge that don't have any particular affection over their subject, a couple are trying to get a placement to gain experience and in the hope they gain a job. Your blatantly just annoyed that you can't get a job that good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.