Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there anyone out there who knows anyone academic who came out with bad prospects? Watch

ReputationRep:
    my biology teacher had to go through clearing if that counts
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by cruciform)
    **** off, most people's motivation is money, why do so many people opt for jobs in finance for example investment banking, accountancy, etc... Do people study economics because they "love" their subject and they enjoy reading up on it, I don't believe it, maybe to an extent, but it's just ********. I know people who go to Oxbridge that don't have any particular affection over their subject, a couple are trying to get a placement to gain experience and in the hope they gain a job. Your blatantly just annoyed that you can't get a job that good.
    Erm, I'm going into one of the most competitive graduate fields, and the average starting pay is 17k. :rolleyes:

Working in finance is my worst nightmare. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Erm, I'm going into one of the most competitive graduate fields, and the average starting pay is 17k. :rolleyes:

Working in finance is my worst nightmare. :rolleyes:
    what field is it then?

ReputationRep:
    On topic - I do actually know someone who did Law at a relatively good uni, Got a 2:1, Did his BVC and for the past 3 or 4 years he hasn't been able to get a job in a chambers, He currently works in an Insurance company.
    It's sad really he's incredibly bright he's **** at the interviews though (his own words)

ReputationRep:
    dentistry for the win
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    what field is it then?
    Publishing. Every entry-level job gets hundreds of applicants.

I don't deny that there are many people who want to work in finance (for whatever reason)... but surely you can't deny that there are just as many academic people who want to work in fields that aren't particularly well paid?

ReputationRep:
    Publishing. Every entry-level job gets hundreds of applicants.

I don't deny that there are many people who want to work in finance (for whatever reason)... but surely you can't deny that there are just as many academic people who want to work in fields that aren't particularly well paid?
    I suppose but the academic know they are of very high caliber, mainly oxbrideg students and motivated people from a few uni's just below Oxford but these are high caliber who have the lot: lots of EC's with achivements in them, good amount of work experience, good A-levels, 2:1 degree from a good uni in a good subjetc, generally welll rounded, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    dentistry for the win
    What are you predicted for A-levels Jayman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    dentistry for the win

ReputationRep:
    AAAAA

nah im joking. im starting them in september lol

ReputationRep:
    very depressing stuff..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lɪŋgwɪst)
    very depressing stuff..
    Indeed :hat2:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I suppose but the academic know they are of very high caliber, mainly oxbrideg students and motivated people from a few uni's just below Oxford but these are high caliber who have the lot: lots of EC's with achivements in them, good amount of work experience, good A-levels, 2:1 degree from a good uni in a good subjetc, generally welll rounded, etc...
    And... ?

(Original post by Elipsis)
    Tons of people end up stuck in a rut working in the NHS for rather low pay after doing a degree.
    Are you talking about medicine here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Are you talking about medicine here?
    lol, the behind the scenes paper work stuff.

ReputationRep:
    And... ?
    Well you said there were academics who go into fields that aren't well paid and I said these academics have the "package" so they'll exceed in their field and they'll know they'll end up with a high job anyway.

Most people do jobs for money.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well you said there were academics who go into fields that aren't well paid and I said these academics have the "package" so they'll exceed in their field and they'll know they'll end up with a high job anyway.

Most people do jobs for money.
    But not all 'high jobs' pay lots of money.

ReputationRep:
    But not all 'high jobs' pay lots of money.
    Need examples, even senior lecturers can get quite a bit now.

ReputationRep:
    the ultimate genius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis

ReputationRep:
    Loads. I have friends with degrees in graphic design , lingustic and language , marine biology, english, Law, Business studies.... all with mediochre jobs, mediochre pay, and none of them enjoy their work All with 2:1 or firsts.

I know a few people with good jobs from a degree but they sorted work out before they graduated rather than graduated then hunted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.