Turn on thread page Beta

Is there anyone out there who knows anyone academic who came out with bad prospects? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about academia anyway.

I have a friend with a First in economics who has not managed to get a job since graduating last year. He looks great on paper but unfortunately he has terrible social skills, is arrogant, and obviously comes across badly in assessment centre exercises and at interview. He's going to do a PhD and go into uni teaching :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Seeing how my mates have faired has made me glad that I waited to do my degree...its a sad state of affairs really.

ReputationRep:
    most lack social skills, a lot of people can get up in the world just by having the gift of the gab.

Plus a lot think they're above certain jobs and expect to start at the top. Also it helps having contacts and day to day work can be horrible in jobs you hate.

If you start quitting a lot of jobs or have huge gaps in your C.V it doesn't look great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    For a lot of people that'd be a great job - relatively well paid, flexible hours, your own boss, relative freedom to work anywhere...
    I actually quite like the thought of it myself, but after hearing the laments of many a Glasgow taxi driver it appears there isn't really much money in it right now. The last one I spoke to claimed he was packing it in after that shift, and lately you'd be lucky to get more than a few customers even on a 10:00pm to 6am shift on a Friday in the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    most lack social skills, a lot of people can get up in the world just by having the gift of the gab.

Plus a lot think they're above certain jobs and expect to start at the top. Also it helps having contacts and day to day work can be horrible in jobs you hate.

If you start quitting a lot of jobs or have huge gaps in your C.V it doesn't look great.
    Totally, have seen many people turn down good jobs cos its not what they expect after uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    **** off, most people's motivation is money, why do so many people opt for jobs in finance for example investment banking, accountancy, etc... Do people study economics because they "love" their subject and they enjoy reading up on it, I don't believe it, maybe to an extent, but it's just ********. I know people who go to Oxbridge that don't have any particular affection over their subject, a couple are trying to get a placement to gain experience and in the hope they gain a job. Your blatantly just annoyed that you can't get a job that good.
    My motivation isn't money, I enjoy what I study and wish to further my education in it with the aim of becoming a university lecturer in Iceland so I have enough free time to write novels. No real incentive to get money, just the amount of free time I'll have.

As for the topic, I've got a 2:1 from UCL and am currently unemployed.

(Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    the ultimate genius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis
    Oh no... Poor guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Oh no... Poor guy.
    aaah, neg rep :p: *squishes neg rep*

to answer the OP, my "cool story" bro went to cambridge, got a 1st in Compsci and had straight A*s at GCSE and straight A's at A Level. he's doing a Phd and doesn't expect to get a particularly highly paid job in his career area. he's very clever, but the computer industry is such that those who make major breakthroughs get massive amounts of money, most other people do not make a large amount of money.

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    aaah, neg rep :p: *squishes neg rep*

to answer the OP, my "cool story" bro went to cambridge, got a 1st in Compsci and had straight A*s at GCSE and straight A's at A Level. he's doing a Phd and doesn't expect to get a particularly highly paid job in his career area. he's very clever, but the computer industry is such that those who make major breakthroughs get massive amounts of money, most other people do not make a large amount of money.
    :p:

but omdz... top grades, cambridge degree, PhD... so sad. why does this happen?

I mean I've heard to be successful, you need to work hard, regardless of academics or not. I'm guessing he worked hard right? how come he's not successful?

to add, why is it that some slackers get successful as well? I thought no hard work gets you nowhere - regardless of academics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :p:

but omdz... top grades, cambridge degree, PhD... so sad. why does this happen?

I mean I've heard to be successful, you need to work hard, regardless of academics or not. I'm guessing he worked hard right? how come he's not successful?

to add, why is it that some slackers get successful as well? I thought no hard work gets you nowhere - regardless of academics...
    It's not as clear-cut as that...

People think grades mean everything but they're just expected of most people nowadays - it's expected you are going to get AAA or better at A Level for Cambridge, and anyone who gets less won't get in.

Of course, you will look like the odd one out if you have bad grades, but good grades are just assumed to be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    I struggle to believe that. If she has a good degree from a good uni and is a well rounded high acheiver and intelligent she'd have a job well above minimum wage. Either you've not told us everything or you're just lying. Sure if you first graduate minimum wage jobs may be what comes your way but after 10 20 years?
    When she graduated we were in a recession and she was unable to get a job. She considered teacher training but ultimately didn't apply and before I was born she worked as the manager of a bookshop. Whilst on maternity leave the shop went into administration and she was made redundant. Since I was about five she has been looking for a better job but is currently an administrator in a shop working for just over minimum wage. Her degree was in Modern History from St Andrews and she comes from a well off family and was privately educated. In a way I am sure that she could have easily ended up with a very good job and she frequently says that she should have studied something more vocational like accountancy. It worries me too... (bear in mind I haven't has as privileged an upbringing, went to a not that great state school and will be studying Spanish and Politics which isn't exactly known for its direct career routes. *sigh*)

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.