Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My parents, but when I start my 2nd and 3rd year I am supposed to find a job and give a hand in the financial area.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have:

Student loan for fees (because my parents wouldn't be able to afford it), £1,500 :/ saved, I want to get a job, bursary for books and my parents are paying for phone contract/new stuff I need and they'll give me money to stop me getting overdrawn. None of which I asked them to do, so I'll be sitting pretty compared to some people, I think I'm really lucky despite having a loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    My parents fully supported my sister and I through university, and they don't have massively high paying jobs. They just feel strongly that we shouldn't be starting our adult lives in debt; I suppose when choosing to have children they personally believe that the duty of care includes providing a satisfactory eductation
    Huh?

So does my dad but unfortunately he doesn't have the means to do so.
    Just because he doesn't have money doesn't mean he doesn't care about my education :confused: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Huh?

So does my dad but unfortunately he doesn't have the means to do so.
    Just because he doesn't have money doesn't mean he doesn't care about my education :confused: .
    When did I ever talk about your dad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    When did I ever talk about your dad?
    You didnt, but you said:
    1) Your parents didn't think you should start your adult life in debt.
    2) Your parents believe they should provide you with the best education.
    3) They supported you financially.

So, are you saying that the reason they supported you was because of those things?

The point I was trying to make was that my Dad would agree with 1) and 2) but can't do 3). So basically, I was questioning whether you thought that not doing 3) meant that you didn't believe in 1) or 2).

God, that was long winded.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think you're trying to make an issue out of nothing - it's none of my business

ReputationRep:
    Loans and job

ReputationRep:
    Money from parents, a loan, I'll probably apply for bursary/grant and i'll be getting a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackey)
    I'll be fully supported by the rents. Hopefully I'll receive a grant from the government (everyone who continues studying and is Dutch is eligible for it), and I have money saved. If the course permits I'll be opting for a part time job to pay for all the extra's. I'm just really glad that I won't need to take out a loan as the grant will turn into a gift upon obtaining a Bachelor degree. Compared to those that will have to live on a tight weekly budget, I can say that I'll be in a pretty comfortable position. Yet I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, have lived through rough patches and am very grateful for what I'm receiving.
    Is that a grant for living costs or for fees? Do you have fees in Holland?

ReputationRep:
    Loans, but as I live at home for uni my parents help a lot by only charging me a tenner a week in rent. But everything, fees and books and bus pass and stuff, I pay for out of student loans and grants.

ReputationRep:
    Myself, but my mum'll pay my phone (£25 a month) and do me a monthly shop for basics, which'll probably be about £30. That in itself is a MASSIVE help and something I'm really grateful for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaager)
    Is that a grant for living costs or for fees? Do you have fees in Holland?
    It can be used for either. One can get up to 450 euros a month from the IB Groep as a means of supporting their studies (you can break this money down however you like). Along with this you receive an "OV kaart" which means free transport. This amount you don't pay back as it's turned into a gift. There are several rules attached to this grant as well; after your 33rd birthday you're no longer eligible for them.You can however always opt to take an additional loan. This of course needs to be paid back afterwards.

We have tuition fees in Holland as well and I believe they're a bit more reasonably priced (unless you do medicine). In Scotland I'm going to be paying £1,820 for my fine art course whereas here it would amount to €1.620. A fair difference I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Myself =(

ReputationRep:
    It's times like this I wish I'd saved money I recieve :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Parents tho ill hopefully be paying for my graduate degree. tho it isnt money for nothing I help out in our takeaways and from next month will basically be running my own takeaway that dads has established.

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I don't get how anyone's parents could pay for it, the amount of cash they must earn to be able to do that makes my mind boggle....
    I currently cost my parents around 13-14k a year so yes they do need to earn a significant amount, were not rich in a spoilt way but we manage

ReputationRep:
    I don't currently have anything saved but I do have a summer job. I've spent money working for the last 3 weeks or stuff like clothes as I needed it. I am going to save at least £150 a week for the next 8 weeks (time left) so I want at least £1200 saved. I'll keep that in savings to pay for 2nd year accom deposit etc. I plan just to live off my student loan and get a part time job which I want to save the money for big purchases like student books. I worked out I'd have £60 left over after paying my accom.

ReputationRep:
    im paying for it myself through loans and grants and my part time job lol. . my mum said she wud give me £100 quid a week but i think thts too much it jus depends on if i can get a transfer and if i cnt and cannot get another part time job they will have to support me but hopefully i can do it mainly alone.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be paying for fees with a loan, and my parents are paying for the rest. It's a pretty sweet deal even though they're not paying for the lot!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.