The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, but basically any side with UK and US is going to win.
I would sign up straightaway, would much rather put myself in a position where I was able to defend myself and others from attacks than lie in my bed clinging to my bedsheets waiting for the bombs to get me.

Plus, I already have half a mind to sign up.
Reply 82
Thomasmc135
Would you join the army voluntarily or would you wait for conscription or not at all.

I personally would join straight away, I know the consequences because I've studied WWI and WWII and seen loads of documentaries on them and also urban warfare. I would feel that it was my duty to and I would die to protect my country.

What about you?

Okay, imagine they signed a bill saying no nuclear weapons are to be used. Normal rockets can be used but nuclear is a no-no. Now decide.

The sides would be Western World vs Islamic States + North Korea

Western World = USA, UK, France, Belgium, Poland, Australia, Canada, Israel, Russia etc

Neutral Countries = Spain, Portugal, Switerzland, Denmark, Norway, Ireland, Sweden, Finland, Andorra, Luxembourg etc from Europe. I think you get the idea.

The Islam World has declared a Jihad or 'Holy War' after a recent spat of terrorist attacks.

THIS IS ALL HYPOTHETICAL

I'd volunteer to join in a non-combat role from the outset.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
nope because i'm a pussy

Get in there my manbich! :yes:
I would wait a bit, few months, see what happens. If it's pretty bad then I'd join up.
I can't see a 3rd World War happening. With all the nukes these days, the world's population would die within 2 days.
Reply 86
Electric Eel
I can't see a 3rd World War happening. With all the nukes these days, the world's population would die within 2 days.

That's why my OP sets it all out. Stop thinking about real life and use your imagination.
Reply 87
If a world war broke out it wouldn't be between the west and Islamic states. The Islamic states would nor wish to wage a war on the West or have even a chance of winning. Only a very small minority of muslims make up terroists, and these terroists rather than achieving long term goals are really wanting publicity for their cause, and perhaps reduced western influence. If a war was to break out, these terroists would have a face (i.e. they would have to fight with the west directly) in which they stand no chance. While many Islamic countries may be slightly annoyed by western influence and exploitation of their resources, other countinents have also suffered the same fate, e.g. Africa, South America. So no, I doubt that a third world war would break out just to fight Islam.

If there were to be a third world war it would be between developed western countries fighting for resources, just like in the two previous world wars.

But let's say this war had erupted where the islamic states declared a "holy war", I would not join.
Reply 88
CombineHarvester
This is true but if you're looking at Muslim terrorist organisations operating in these countries, they are very dangerous. Al Qaeda managed to kill almost 3000 people with just a handful of terrorists entering America armed with only a couple of small knives. Also, we've been in Afghanistan for 8 years now and still haven't managed to gain significant ground in overthrowing the Taliban despite spending $1 trillion and having the best armies in the world there. Also, Saudi Arabia

Firstly, 3000 people is not a lot and AQ just got lucky. Secondly, America and others haven't been throwing their full weight behind Afghanistan. If the countries currently engaged wanted to, they could call up millions of soldiers. But it isn't worth it. In the case of a world war however...

CombineHarvester

Also, the Muslim population is very large and exists in many countries, in France there's around 7 million Muslims and a lot in other European countries like the Netherlands. It is also the second biggest religion in many countries (including India where there's 200 million Muslims) and in a Jihad war Muslim countries will be able to extract manpower and resources from these people. In the UK there's over 1000 Muslim millionaires so there are resources available all over the world if it was Islam vs. West. Also countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan have nuclear weapons with Iran and North Korea close.

Op said no nuclear weapons involved.

You're assuming that Muslims in non-Muslim countries will put their full weight behind this war despite it sounding like another Al-Qaeda operation that magically causes a world war. It doesn't matter how numerous or wealthy Muslims are now if they don't have anything to contrbute to a war later on. What I mean is sure a Muslim could give a mill or two to this war but what then? Buy some arms from the West? Or develop your own arms while under fire from the world's superpowers who refuse to give you any technology?

Also, a Jihad war? Can we avoid the vague religious terms and just stick with the much more sensible war?
Reply 89
Sakujo
Firstly, 3000 people is not a lot and AQ just got lucky. Secondly, America and others haven't been throwing their full weight behind Afghanistan. If the countries currently engaged wanted to, they could call up millions of soldiers. But it isn't worth it. In the case of a world war however...

Op said no nuclear weapons involved.

You're assuming that Muslims in non-Muslim countries will put their full weight behind this war despite it sounding like another Al-Qaeda operation that magically causes a world war. It doesn't matter how numerous or wealthy Muslims are now if they don't have anything to contrbute to a war later on. What I mean is sure a Muslim could give a mill or two to this war but what then? Buy some arms from the West? Or develop your own arms while under fire from the world's superpowers who refuse to give you any technology?

Also, a Jihad war? Can we avoid the vague religious terms and just stick with the much more sensible war?

It's not that vague. Also it is the most likely cause of a World War in the next 20 years based on the events of today.
Reply 90
Lmao this is a good one!

I wouldnt do a thing i would just wait to get nuc'ed by the koreans!

I live in norn ireland! I am offically british! i hold an irish passport! so both countries have to look after me! :-D well they cnt look after themselves but still!

I have no aligence to any country! i am far from patriotic! as norn ireland isnt even a country! We just have the call centers the english would ring to find out more about the war =P
somethingbeautiful
Stupid question alert: Can women fight on the front line?

I really don't know if I would TBH, I'm quite dosey so I'd probably walk into a bullet. =S

Kind of.

Women can't join the Royal Armoured Corps or Infantry... but they can join everything else.
Reply 92
What's the typical entry grades for the army? It'll depend on that.
bretj89

I don't think they'd be particularly be arsed during WW3.
They'll take whoever they can get.
Reply 94
I wouldn't be asked to, I hope. I'd go in a Medical capacity if asked I guess
Reply 95
bretj89

I think it's AAA with about seven million A*s at GCSE :-P **** Oxbridge
somethingbeautiful
Stupid question alert: Can women fight on the front line?

I really don't know if I would TBH, I'm quite dosey so I'd probably walk into a bullet. =S

Kind of.

Women can't join the Royal Armoured Corps or Infantry... but they can join everything else.
the 3rd world war is the 3rd worlds probable, i wouldn't get involved...
Reply 98
somethingbeautiful
I don't think they'd be particularly be arsed during WW3.
They'll take whoever they can get.

No, I'm a coward conscientious objector.

Latest