Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks,

I currently have a standard bank account with the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), think it's a Route-21 account or R-21 account to be specific.

This account has done all I have needed from a bank account up till now but I now need a student account with them because the overdraft facility would be a great help for me as I have a 2 week holiday to go on in 3 weeks time (leave on the 11 Aug) and I could do with overdrafting money so I have enougth money to get me by.

My questions are:

What information (for example paperwork) do I need to take to my bank so they will sign me up for a student account with an overdraft facillity there and then?

and

Will the student account be set up for me to use with access to the overdraft facility within the next 3 weeks?

Any questions just ask and ill reply asap.
    Thanks in advance, Keen.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll get the overdraft before term starts if you're a new student in 2009.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a new student.
    Finished my HNC before the summer, going on to do my HND.

Forgot to mention that sorry.

I'm also 18 and have a part time job which brings in about £400 a month if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Keen_)
    Hey folks,

I currently have a standard bank account with the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), think it's a Route-21 account or R-21 account to be specific.

This account has done all I have needed from a bank account up till now but I now need a student account with them because the overdraft facility would be a great help for me as I have a 2 week holiday to go on in 3 weeks time (leave on the 11 Aug) and I could do with overdrafting money so I have enougth money to get me by.

My questions are:

What information (for example paperwork) do I need to take to my bank so they will sign me up for a student account with an overdraft facillity there and then?

and

Will the student account be set up for me to use with access to the overdraft facility within the next 3 weeks?

Any questions just ask and ill reply asap.
    Thanks in advance, Keen.
    Exact policy for when you can the overdraft varies between banks, though most commonly it can be approved once you've accepted a confirmed place on your university course. You should get a confirmation letter from UCAS (called an AS12) once your offer is unconditional which can act as proof of this, though if your offer is currently conditional upon results you won't get this until your results are published.

I'm afraid I have no experience of RBS's specific policy, so it's worth checking with them (give them a call) to see if they'll give you the overdraft earlier. Bear in mind that you might actually need the overdraft to cover living costs during the course (that's what it's supposed to be for!), so it may not be such a good idea to use a substantial part of it for a holiday before the course starts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a new student.
    Finished my HNC before the summer, going on to do my HND.

Forgot to mention that sorry.

I'm also 18 and have a part time job which brings in about £400 a month if that helps.
    Your post came in just before my first. Given this, did you apply through UCAS for your HND? If not, the bank will likely accept a letter from your college confirming your place instead of a UCAS confirmation letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Your post came in just before my first. Given this, did you apply through UCAS for your HND? If not, the bank will likely accept a letter from your college confirming your place instead of a UCAS confirmation letter.
    I didn't do it though UCAS.
    I applied straight to the college last year and got accepted for the HND then. I have a conditional offer lying around here somewhere if thats any use.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do it though UCAS.
    I applied straight to the college last year and got accepted for the HND then. I have a conditional offer lying around here somewhere if thats any use.
    I'd imagine the bank's requirements will be similar to those for UCAS applications, i.e. they'll need evidence of an unconditional offer. Again though, I'd suggest calling RBS as they may have a different policy.

ReputationRep:
    To open an account Natwest accept the conditional offer from UCAS. Don't know about accessing the overdraft though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.