Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Living arrangements; How do they affect payment? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hiya!

I live with my partner (not married, no children), and this is different circumstances to last year/year before.

Now, I need to know whether this will increase or decrease my maintenance grant and/or loan. I know I can't afford to live without the same amount as I had last time (both of us are students).

I don't drink or smoke, or generally waste money; I am an accountancy student and budget so I know where every penny is. It's all for actual living such as bills and rent etc.

Can anyone help me?

Jessie x

ReputationRep:
    How long ago did you last live with your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Hiya!

I live with my partner (not married, no children), and this is different circumstances to last year/year before.

Now, I need to know whether this will increase or decrease my maintenance grant and/or loan. I know I can't afford to live without the same amount as I had last time (both of us are students).

I don't drink or smoke, or generally waste money; I am an accountancy student and budget so I know where every penny is. It's all for actual living such as bills and rent etc.

Can anyone help me?

Jessie x
    If you're not married its fine

(98% sure on that)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by roubiliac)
    How long ago did you last live with your parents?
    I last lived with my parents almost exactly a year ago Technically. I went straight from Uni into my new place, but didn't officially move in until August ish (I spent more time here than I did at my parents'), so the finance people would have classed me as there.

I think I applied as if I was living with my parents but I honestly cannot remember. I believe I filled in the form while I was still in halls and didn't know I'd end up here.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    If you're not married its fine

(98% sure on that)
    So I will get the same money as if I was still living with my parents?

I don't get any money off them (same as last year and the year before) but nor have I been self sufficient for three years.

ReputationRep:
    So I will get the same money as if I was still living with my parents?

I don't get any money off them (same as last year and the year before) but nor have I been self sufficient for three years.
    No, if you dont live with your parents you get more:

Living elsewhere (not with parents) or in your own home and
    studying elsewhere (not in london) -
    Up to £4,950
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, if you dont live with your parents you get more:

Living elsewhere (not with parents) or in your own home and
    studying elsewhere (not in london) -
    Up to £4,950
    Where did you get that information? And is that just for people who have been self sufficient for three years or more?

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get that information? And is that just for people who have been self sufficient for three years or more?
    The direct gov website, im searching for where I read that you have to be married for your partners income to be taken into account

ReputationRep:
    Ahh it may be for people who have been self sufficient for 3 years :/

Heres what i've found:

Dependent students
    If you’re a dependent student, the income assessment will take into account the income of your parents or adoptive parents as well as your own income.

In general, you’ll be classed as a dependent student if you’re under 25 on the first day of the academic year for which you’re applying for support and are financially dependent on one or both of your parents (even if you don't live with them).

If your parents are divorced or separated and you started your course in or after September 2004, only the income of one of them will be assessed - whichever one seems appropriate in the circumstances. The income of your other parent will be ignored, but the income of any spouse, civil partner or live-in partner of the parent who is assessed will be taken into account (including a partner of the same sex if you started your course in September 2005 or later).
    Independent studentsWhose income is counted?
    If you’re classed as an independent student, only your income and that of your partner will be counted.

This can mean your spouse, civil partner or:

if you started your course in or after September 2000 and you’re 25 or over on the first day of the academic year for which you’re applying for support, any live-in partner of the opposite sex
    if you started your course in or after September 2005 and you’re 25 or over on the first day of the academic year for which you’re applying for support, any live-in partner of the same sex
    Who is classed as an independent student?
    The lists below aren’t exhaustive, but you’ll usually be classed as independent if any of the following apply on the first day of the academic year for which you’re applying for support:

you are aged 25 or over
    you have care of a child
    you have no living parents

Generally speaking, you’ll also be classed as independent if either of the following applies to you before the first day of the academic year for which you’re applying for support:

you are, or have been, married or in a civil partnership
    you are classed as having supported yourself for at least three years

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The direct gov website, im searching for where I read that you have to be married for your partners income to be taken into account
    Can you link me on that?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm gonna call them.

I'll tell you what happens!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, I don't THINK it affects it, actually!

I have to be properly assessed before I can get my grant figure, but the loans don't change. Jeez that was hard work, and the lady on the phone is NOT helpful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.