Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is couch to 5k sensible enough to follow after a leg injury to get back into running..?

Or would i need to take it even steadier than that?!

I want to be back to my old running self but since my injury i've struggled a lot with even attempting to run so i've decided to stop being a knob and play it sensibly this time.. (as opposed to getting a hip injury, leaving it a couple of weeks, thinking i'm fine, hammering the running and then giving myself a leg injury :o:)

I've been off running for about 2months now. So hopefully my fitness levels haven't dropped TOO dramamtically.. but then..i've eaten so much crap it probably has

My legs feel ok at the moment, so i think it's now or never with getting back into running. I just don't know how slow to take it.. because i know what i'm like and i WILL have to force myself to walk when i want to run to stop myself over doing it again :p:

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Erm ... I'd say ease yourself into it, to be honest. Because if you go straight into a 5K and hurt yourself again, you'll be off running for even longer. How about building it up by time? Start off running for 20 minutes for a week, and then build it up when you feel you're ready?

ReputationRep:
    just go for it,

to minimise injury:

1) shoes (running shop)
    2) surface
    3) run slowly

if you are running slowly, on grass with correct shoes from a running shop the chance of injury is very low.

if you are trying to do intervals/sprint, on concrete, without the correct running shoes your injury risk is very high.

good luck !

ReputationRep:
    So i've just got back from my first run.. and it didn't go too well

I managed 200m on the track before my legs were starting to hurt so i'm guessing i'm probably still not ready to be running properly. This is SO frustrating!
    I can't tell whether i'm being over cautious within myself though and whether i could actually push on but i'm just panicking..does that make sense? :o:

I have good running shoes. I was on grass and i was definitely running fairly slowly. But my fitness has DEFINITELY taken a big drop! I'm definitely struggling from a fitness point of view i don't think i've ever been this unfit :p:

I want to be fit and injury free again!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe ease your legs into it with exercise which is lower impact on the joints? Swimming, cycling, maybe to an extent rowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Maybe ease your legs into it with exercise which is lower impact on the joints? Swimming, cycling, maybe to an extent rowing.
    Yeah, i'm going to go swimming on Saturday because i just want to get back into doing something now.

I don't have a gym membership though, nor am i willing to pay for one when i'm going to uni in 6 weeks :p: So rowing is out to the question and i don't have a bike.

I just want to run again though. My friend has signed up for a 10k and i'm itching to do all that again I want to do it NOW! :mad:
    Wow i really need to get some patience :p:

ReputationRep:
    dont panic, you are probably trying to run to fast.

next time time try to jog as slow as you can and see how long you can go then when you are tired walk for a bit and try to jog back.

you seem to be worried about injury. you are doing all the right things to prevent injury, so maybe it's anxiety, if you are experiencing a true injury pain it tends to be a shap, very localised and specific pain. it tends to be a joint pain. a dull, diffuse generalised pain in the legs is normal for running and it isnt a sign of injury, it is just the muscles working. sometimes you get this after a sprint (lactic acid buildup - which is what you probably had today) and sometimes you get it the morning after you run (muscle damage due to exercise - but even this always goes after a few hours). this is normal and it the mechanism by which the body adapts to running.

good luck, try not to get too disheartened with it, the hardest struggle is starting / starting after a break from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    Yeah, i'm going to go swimming on Saturday because i just want to get back into doing something now.

I don't have a gym membership though, nor am i willing to pay for one when i'm going to uni in 6 weeks :p: So rowing is out to the question and i don't have a bike.

I just want to run again though. My friend has signed up for a 10k and i'm itching to do all that again I want to do it NOW! :mad:
    Wow i really need to get some patience :p:
    Yea but I know exactly what you mean. Try going from top competition level climbing to barely being able to climb for fun due to being ill for months on end! Tis less than fun!

Sounds odd but is your technique for running correct? My friend was telling me alot of people dont run properly so the shock is being passed through a knee joint thats not straight (IE legs turned to ofar in or out) can cause problems and pain. I dont know too much about it though.

ReputationRep:
    Is couch to 5k to couch for 2 months sensible?

To be fair, it doesn't matter about the distance, more about how intense you do it.

So keep it calm until your sure your leg can take it. make sure to get it up to speed with the other leg, otherwise your gunna end up with a shoulder injury. :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    And for the love of god remember to stretch properly!

Take it easy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.