Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been doing back squats for a couple of weeks, following starting strength. The problem is I get bad discomfort in arms when I do them, until my grip gets wider and wider. Will this just go away with time and increased flexibility or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that your holding the bar correctly? You shouldnt actually hold any of the weight in your arms. Just push it into your back...

ReputationRep:
    It could be lots of things. I had trouble with the narrow grip in SS too but it got easier with time. I don't think it's fundamentally necessary to do it that way; powerlifters don't usually. I think the main thing is as long as you've got your upper back tight and tensed it's probably okay, but it might be harder to do that as the weight goes up.

Like I said, it could be flexibility, form or just your dimensions. One thing that definitely helped me was to remember to lift your elbows up high. Even now, it's like a switch of pain/discomfort; as soon as I lift my elbows it stops hurting.

ReputationRep:
    The bar should sit in your back grove below top traps and over rear delts, nautre made the groove for a squat bar

ReputationRep:
    If you cant hold the barrow with narrow grip and wider hands helps, then just hold the bar wider.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's a combination of a slight lack of flexibility in the shoulders and a dodgy bar position. In any case, I'm not aware of any problems that result from a wider grip and any day my shoulders feel a bit tight I'll just squat with a wider grip.

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys feel about the wraps that go around the bar? Using them when I squat seems to help and stops the pain when I have it on my shoulders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruce_Bateman)
    How do you guys feel about the wraps that go around the bar? Using them when I squat seems to help and stops the pain when I have it on my shoulders.
    Fanny pads? Name says it all

ReputationRep:
    Do not use the maxi pads. You just need to find the right form. Once you do, it won't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Do not use the maxi pads. You just need to find the right form. Once you do, it won't hurt.
    Where do you actually have to rest it then, is it just below the shoulders with your back straight but at a angle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruce_Bateman)
    Where do you actually have to rest it then, is it just below the shoulders with your back straight but at a angle?

If you hold it properly it should be a '**** this is heavy' pain rather than a '**** this hurts' pain.

Put your arms backwards near your ears. Push your chest out and elbows up. The bar rests in the grove thats naturally made by this motion. Bad description I know

ReputationRep:
    There is a groove, you have to find it. Pull the bar back low.

ReputationRep:
    You might find these help with flexibility?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33P5AI27eiU

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.