Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my parents have this system of choosing a country which we will visit during the summer holidays. As a result, this year we will be going to Norway :confused: The problem is I know nothing about the country so I was wondering if anyone has any info on the country and what it is/was like.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely stunning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Absolutely stunning.
    I absolutely agree

ReputationRep:
    I'm going there this year! My aunt lives there but yeah agree with Apfel it's stunning.
    My aunt lives in this tiny villiage in the middle of nowhere and there's a massive lake right outside her house and mountains surrounding it...beautiful.
    Not really alot to do though...In the main towns there are a few shopping centres but nothing really like Brent Cross or Westfield terms...I've never been to Oslo (capital) though so I can't really comment on the cities...probably alot more there.
    But yeah on the whole beautiful country...but the cost of living is also quite high. I think it's roughly a pound to 10 noreweigen kroners and say a bar of chocolate it about 8/9 kroners...but this was in a airport and they're generally more expensive.
    I'd definitely recommend.

ReputationRep:
    Norway is stunning, it's not without reason that so many people visit the country. Have your parents said anything about which parts you'll be going to? Holidays in Norway are certainly better for scenery than for shopping. It's the last place you want to go shopping, unless you have a money tree.

Personally, Id recommend the west coast and the fjords. Bergen. Stavanger. I may be biased, since I'm a tour guide and work in local tourist information, but seriously, this area has so much to offer. You could spend a month here and not see everything.

I've not been to the north, but there is a lot to see there as well, from things I've heard. Perhaps others will know the area better. But definitely come to the west.

Once you know where you're going, if you're coming to this area, I'd be happy to tell you more or answer questions

ReputationRep:
    It's a very beautiful country. Some of it can look very different to other parts; the arctic tundra of the extreme north is quite a contrast to the green fjords in the south. So lots of beauty and variety!

It can be ridiculously expensive however, I had to pay the equivalent of £16 for a small burger and chips once, but at that time I was in Finnmark which is in the far North, I think the South might be slightly more affordable.

ReputationRep:
    very expensive but beautiful. even oslo is in a fjord its lovely

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.