Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Have you got any suggestions on how to revise for GCSEs?

Thanks

Tribi18

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tribi18)
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

Tribi18
    Read through your notes. Remember not to revise for the following subjects (if you take them): English Lang, English Lit, French, German, Spanish, Re, Art or Graphics, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tribi18)
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

Tribi18
    i couldn't... i found it really hard to revise so didn't do very much- just plenty of past papers in lessons and good notes.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Writing key notes on flash cards worked for me

Also, revising with a friend & testing each other helps a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Read through your notes. Remember not to revise for the following subjects (if you take them): English Lang, English Lit, French, German, Spanish, Re, Art or Graphics, etc...
    not to revise for them? why not?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks 4 ur advice..
    I'm going to my friends house tonight so i might take some there.. sounds sad, Ha.

and about making notes.. What do you write when your making notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    I was wondereing the same thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    Because it is pointless. You can either do them or you can't. It is advisable to spend your time revise a subject which involves learning things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    I revised for French and German by learning key phrases and vocab, if you feel you need to then go over your written exercises and vocab lists so that you can remember more easily in the exams.
    For other subjects (such as the sciences) I liked to do spider diagrams or split up the notes into topics and learn in little sections. For Maths, practicing exercises is probably the best way of revising. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Because it is pointless. You can either do them or you can't. It is advisable to spend your time revise a subject which involves learning things.
    you can learn languages- I am useless at french and managed to get an A because i learnt everything i could. i learnt all my conversation answers parrot fashion, it doesn't mean i can speak french, but i can remember stuff.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for advice about learning langs. Im doing French and I've got a coursework on my work experience soon - any advice?

I like the idea of spider diagrams

It's a shame my weakest subjects are ones you can't revise for. On the other hand, I guess I won't have to do much revision.

ReputationRep:
    Ralfskini, have to disagree with you on English Lit, having good notes in your books / re reading them + your notes means you'll be able to write the essays in the exam much better

for the sciences, use the syllabus, try and stay away from class notes as much as possible, unless the syllabus is unclear.

French, like lou lou said, learn answers parrot fashion! especially for the oral.

For the remaining subjects, condensing notes is a good method, i found.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you NEED to revise for GCSEs if you are fairly intelligent nut it is advisable to. They mainly assess what you know and can remember than style and application of knowledge (as A Levels do) so its always a good idea. Try colour-coding your notes and reading through them on a regular basis. It might help to make 'notes of your notes' so that you pick out the key points for each subject. Remember though that GCSEs don't really mean all that much once you have them if you continue in education; they are just a stepping stone to bigger things.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    pointless? if you cant do them,the whole point is to revise and try to make yourself understand them...

ReputationRep:
    French, like lou lou said, learn answers parrot fashion! especially for the oral.[/QUOTE]

NO!!! Don;t learn the answers parrot fashion. Learn to speak French and be able to hold a conversation. I got full marks and board commendation for my oral because I did that rather than learning the answers off by heart, and its refreshing for the marker to hear.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Remember though that GCSEs don't really mean all that much once you have them if you continue in education; they are just a stepping stone to bigger things.
    Sometimes universities look at GCSE results when making offers when AS results or predicted A2 results aren't consistent or a clear enough base to work from. I would recommend revising for your GCSE's as the application of knowledge means knowing a lot of facts, without this your grades could suffer. And it's always nice to know that you did your best at GCSE to give you more confidence for the future.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a lot of revision guides and answered the questions in them. It worked a treat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    NO!!! Don;t learn the answers parrot fashion. Learn to speak French and be able to hold a conversation. I got full marks and board commendation for my oral because I did that rather than learning the answers off by heart, and its refreshing for the marker to hear.

it's easier said than done- i also got very high marks for my oral. i have no natural ability for languages and struggled so much. i did honestly try to hold proper conversations for my mocks and got a D... i learnt parrot style and got an A int he real thing. of course i would be able to speak french properly, but i found it so hard.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Sometimes universities look at GCSE results when making offers when AS results or predicted A2 results aren't consistent or a clear enough base to work from. I would recommend revising for your GCSE's as the application of knowledge means knowing a lot of facts, without this your grades could suffer. And it's always nice to know that you did your best at GCSE to give you more confidence for the future.
    I think the extent to which GCSE results are considered is overstated. Of course good results help but at the end of the day, tutors are interested in your ability at 18/19, not 15/16. The only thing to remember, though, is that if you're considering Oxbridge tutors tend to expect at least 5As at GCSE, although they are reasonably flexible about it if you can provide a reason and show that your results do not reflect your academic potential.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.