Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tribi18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi everyone,

Have you got any suggestions on how to revise for GCSEs?

Thanks

Tribi18
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Tribi18
Read through your notes. Remember not to revise for the following subjects (if you take them): English Lang, English Lit, French, German, Spanish, Re, Art or Graphics, etc...
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Tribi18
i couldn't... i found it really hard to revise so didn't do very much- just plenty of past papers in lessons and good notes.

lou xxx
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Writing key notes on flash cards worked for me

Also, revising with a friend & testing each other helps a lot
Anna
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Read through your notes. Remember not to revise for the following subjects (if you take them): English Lang, English Lit, French, German, Spanish, Re, Art or Graphics, etc...
not to revise for them? why not?
Tribi18
Rep:
?
Thanks 4 ur advice..
I'm going to my friends house tonight so i might take some there.. sounds sad, Ha.

and about making notes.. What do you write when your making notes?
Tribi18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anna)
I was wondereing the same thing...
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Anna)
Because it is pointless. You can either do them or you can't. It is advisable to spend your time revise a subject which involves learning things.
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Anna)
I revised for French and German by learning key phrases and vocab, if you feel you need to then go over your written exercises and vocab lists so that you can remember more easily in the exams.
For other subjects (such as the sciences) I liked to do spider diagrams or split up the notes into topics and learn in little sections. For Maths, practicing exercises is probably the best way of revising. Good luck!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because it is pointless. You can either do them or you can't. It is advisable to spend your time revise a subject which involves learning things.
you can learn languages- I am useless at french and managed to get an A because i learnt everything i could. i learnt all my conversation answers parrot fashion, it doesn't mean i can speak french, but i can remember stuff.

lou xxx
Tribi18
Rep:
?
Thanks for advice about learning langs. Im doing French and I've got a coursework on my work experience soon - any advice?

I like the idea of spider diagrams
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
It's a shame my weakest subjects are ones you can't revise for. On the other hand, I guess I won't have to do much revision.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ralfskini, have to disagree with you on English Lit, having good notes in your books / re reading them + your notes means you'll be able to write the essays in the exam much better

for the sciences, use the syllabus, try and stay away from class notes as much as possible, unless the syllabus is unclear.

French, like lou lou said, learn answers parrot fashion! especially for the oral.

For the remaining subjects, condensing notes is a good method, i found.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wouldn't say you NEED to revise for GCSEs if you are fairly intelligent nut it is advisable to. They mainly assess what you know and can remember than style and application of knowledge (as A Levels do) so its always a good idea. Try colour-coding your notes and reading through them on a regular basis. It might help to make 'notes of your notes' so that you pick out the key points for each subject. Remember though that GCSEs don't really mean all that much once you have them if you continue in education; they are just a stepping stone to bigger things.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Anna
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
pointless? if you cant do them,the whole point is to revise and try to make yourself understand them...
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
French, like lou lou said, learn answers parrot fashion! especially for the oral.[/QUOTE]

NO!!! Don;t learn the answers parrot fashion. Learn to speak French and be able to hold a conversation. I got full marks and board commendation for my oral because I did that rather than learning the answers off by heart, and its refreshing for the marker to hear.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Remember though that GCSEs don't really mean all that much once you have them if you continue in education; they are just a stepping stone to bigger things.
Sometimes universities look at GCSE results when making offers when AS results or predicted A2 results aren't consistent or a clear enough base to work from. I would recommend revising for your GCSE's as the application of knowledge means knowing a lot of facts, without this your grades could suffer. And it's always nice to know that you did your best at GCSE to give you more confidence for the future.
chrisbphd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I bought a lot of revision guides and answered the questions in them. It worked a treat.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
NO!!! Don;t learn the answers parrot fashion. Learn to speak French and be able to hold a conversation. I got full marks and board commendation for my oral because I did that rather than learning the answers off by heart, and its refreshing for the marker to hear.

it's easier said than done- i also got very high marks for my oral. i have no natural ability for languages and struggled so much. i did honestly try to hold proper conversations for my mocks and got a D... i learnt parrot style and got an A int he real thing. of course i would be able to speak french properly, but i found it so hard.

lou xxx
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
Sometimes universities look at GCSE results when making offers when AS results or predicted A2 results aren't consistent or a clear enough base to work from. I would recommend revising for your GCSE's as the application of knowledge means knowing a lot of facts, without this your grades could suffer. And it's always nice to know that you did your best at GCSE to give you more confidence for the future.
I think the extent to which GCSE results are considered is overstated. Of course good results help but at the end of the day, tutors are interested in your ability at 18/19, not 15/16. The only thing to remember, though, is that if you're considering Oxbridge tutors tend to expect at least 5As at GCSE, although they are reasonably flexible about it if you can provide a reason and show that your results do not reflect your academic potential.

X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (141)
46.23%
Take exams next summer (46)
15.08%
Change uni choice through clearing (73)
23.93%
Apply to uni next year instead (31)
10.16%
I'm not applying to university (14)
4.59%

Watched Threads