Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just completed a postgrad economics diploma from Uni Essex, scored a distinction and have been accepted into Essex and Warwick for Msc economics. I got my Bsc degree in Journalism in the USA and did high school there too - so no GCSEs/A-levels. The problem is the thought of another year of economics does not appeal to me at all. Im considering trying to become an accountant. Do accounting firms hire people who are older (30+) and with non-UK qualifications? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem - so long as you're permitted to work in the UK and your qualifications are similar to what they'd expect from UK students your non-UK background shouldn't be a problem. Big firms may know what grades are acceptable for someone who went to school from the US.

I suppose having had less experience of UK tax might be a very small disadvantage but we've had people on secondment from South Africa, New Zealand etc at my fim and they seem to manage OK. My main reservation at the moment would be stepping into the world of work when firms are recruiting fewer trainees.

Is there any chance your MSc could get you some exemptions from accounting exams so you could switch to accountancy after you've done the year? You can check on the professional bodies's websites (e.g. www.icaew.com) whether either of those courses would get you some exemptions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do recruit older people - and you will need to have equivalent grades in your us school/college exams - hr will be able to tell you what exactly

however as noted above firms are employing a lot less people atm. it might be better doing your msc and hoping things improve by your completion date.

ReputationRep:
    I'd try to be professional, but I can't deny it might feel a bit weird reviewing and commenting on someone's work who was much older than me. Though I've never been in that position, it might be something they'll ask you about specifically in an interview.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you meet their entry requirements there should be no problem to apply. If you need a work permit (Tier 2 visa) and want to apply to big 4 you need to do so as soon as the application period opens. This means usually a year in advance of your starting date, as they only have limited positions destined to people who need work permits. If you don't need a work permit then as long as your GCSE and A level equivalents meet their requirements then you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    They can't legally discriminate due to your age but some firms do have a cut off for how many years it is since you graduated. The best thing to do is to check the websites of individual firms, its usually in their faqs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ertert12345)
    Do accounting firms hire people who are older (30+) and with non-UK qualifications? thanks.
    Yes definitely.

I guess the question for you is that as a 30 year old would a graduate salary be enough?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.