Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First time going to London on train Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My friend and myself want to visit London on Thursday 13th August to go "sight seeing" etc and get the return on Saturday 15th August (dates not 100% yet). We will be getting the train from Manchester Picadilly to London Euston.

From Virgin's website, it will cost us £24.90 to get there and £18.25 for the returen; a total of £43.15 for the whole journey. Does this seem reasonable, and is there any way I can get there cheaper? The cheaper things are the better it is!

We're also hoping to stay in London for one/two nights, so is there any (cheap!) place you could recommend for us to stay?

Also, as typical tourists what would we be mad to miss?

Many thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaotic)
    Hi,

My friend and myself want to visit London on Thursday 13th August to go "sight seeing" etc and get the return on Saturday 15th August (dates not 100% yet). We will be getting the train from Manchester Picadilly to London Euston.

From Virgin's website, it will cost us £24.90 to get there and £18.25 for the returen; a total of £43.15 for the whole journey. Does this seem reasonable, and is there any way I can get there cheaper? The cheaper things are the better it is!

We're also hoping to stay in London for one/two nights, so is there any (cheap!) place you could recommend for us to stay?

that seems quite good. try www.thetrainline.co.uk and try and get it so its '2 single tickets' each. it sometimes works out LOADS cheaper

ReputationRep:
    look on the national rail site because you can get bogof deals on like theater ad madame tussauds (sp?)

ReputationRep:
    theres cheap hotels for like £30 a night.. i think thats about the lowest..londons pretty expensive..

ReputationRep:
    That is proberly the cheapest you can get it unless you have a student card? also check out this website
    http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/attrac...or1london.aspx
    you can get lots of 2 for 1 offers on attractions in london such as the tower, london aquarium as well as accomdation ! etc by printing out the voucher and presenting your train tickets on arrival there is also a page on the site which lists free london attractions such as the natural history museum the v and a, the science museum, national portrait etc..all good fun!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a railcard? They work wonders! I got about £200 off a train to London from Macclesfield with mine

ReputationRep:
    Yep you haven't said whether you have a railcard. Also look on megatrain to see if they have any cheap tickets,

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a railcard? They work wonders! I got about £200 off a train to London from Macclesfield with mine
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I have the 16-25 Young Persons Railcard, but my friends doesn't. £200 off! Wow trains can cost that much!

I've just found this link http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/specia...s/default.aspx but need to speak to my friend now to get dates confirmed!

ReputationRep:
    I was SSSSSOOOOO lucky. I went to London Euston from Wigan North Western, for £4.95, on a Virgin train, with no stops, in the cabin with the shop!!

Anyway, go on the London Eye, go to Harrods, Oxford St, Wembley Tour.

ReputationRep:
    One Hostel thats quite good is Central Hostel. Beds are from £8. A twin room is £17.50 per person. Its clean and simple and the person at reception is really friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You just HAVE to go on the London Eye.

:london:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    You just HAVE to go on the London Eye.

:london:
    Yeah agreed. I went on the Eye before I moved here and I didn't know what I was looking for. I wanna go back on it now to look for my house! Don't bother with Tussauds' unless you're a celeboholic and/or have lots of money. Go to one of the museums or a gallery instead.

ReputationRep:
    The train line or somewhere like that offer cheaper discounts or look for discount codes online.

It depends what your interests are but the Tate Modern is good (and FREE!) as is the science museum, which is good fun, but normally quite busy with families and younger children. Still worth a visit though.

Oxford Street for shopping and Covent Garden definitely. Also China Town/Leicester Square/Picadilly Circus/Covent Garden are all within walking distance of each other and theres a lot to see around there, especially people watching in Cafes and stuff.

I really like going to the South Bank and just walking along there. The Design Museum is good, near Tower Bridge. Theres a great shop, but it depends on the exhibitions whether its worth going or not.

It might be nice to walk through some of the parks, maybe St. James Park so you can do the typical thing and take pictures outside Buckingham Palace. You can then walk on over to Trafalgar Square. The National Portrait Gallary is also a good visit.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Check megatrain.

I'm staying in Travelodge in Southwark in a couple of weeks, it cost £40 for 2 nights. Its cheaper the earlier you book it though, so it will probably be alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Yeah agreed. I went on the Eye before I moved here and I didn't know what I was looking for. I wanna go back on it now to look for my house! Don't bother with Tussauds' unless you're a celeboholic and/or have lots of money. Go to one of the museums or a gallery instead.
    Other good places to visit/see include:

- Houses of Parliament
    - Tower of London
    - Buckingham Palace
    - Tower Bridge

and more.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of Hostels, the one in Holland Park in Kensington isn't bad - £20 a night, although don't bother with the food, it's grim. We kind of defeated the object by going out on Kensington High Street and buying £11 cocktails in Archangel, though...

ReputationRep:
    Much cheaper than it is for me but you are probably nearer to london than me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.