Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have posted a thread about this before (but before you rant about this new thread) I couldn't find a very good answer to my question in the newest 2 pages.. hopefully this justifies my act to post this thread....

anyways I would like to ask about Post-graduate foundation years. Does it take place within universities or within hospitals? The university that I am going to enter for UG will not be available for accommodation for PGs (post grads) ... will the money I earn be enough to fund my living expenses, accommodation etc?

Also, is it true that GP is the best route for those who wish to have a balance between life and work? Which route is most competitive? I am most interested in gastroenterology.... Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Your foundation years are spent at hospitals within a specific deanery This deanery may or may not be the same one as you graduated from, this depends on where you apply for jobs. I graduated from Barts, but work within the Severn Deanery which is associated with Bristol.

Your medical school still has some responsibiity for you during your FY1 year however in real terms this is minimal, just a sign off process at the end of the year.

That salary (at the moment at least) is enough to pay for accomodation food going out etc.

ReputationRep:
    You'd hope the money that you earn is enough to fund your living expenses or else you'd effectively be living in spiralling debt. You probably won't be able to afford the penthouse suite at the Ritz but I can't think of many jobs people realistically do at a financial loss (which is what it appears you are suggesting).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catchetat)
    Also, is it true that GP is the best route for those who wish to have a balance between life and work? Which route is most competitive? I am most interested in gastroenterology.... Thanks!
    So it's said. Things will change, your horizons will broaden and your insight will grow in the six or seven years before you apply for speciality jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, the facts required are really eaily found by using :google: (probably would have taken you less typing too...)

AS for the rest - it's all subjective. We're not you, have no idea of your tastes etc. or what you understand by work-life balance. It's a balance so everyone is different.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know about how this is arranged for international students? Because I sort of recall that placements are not guaranteed for us.... and thanks for the replies! And no I'm not a lavish spender so hopefully I can make ends meet!

ReputationRep:
    ^Bump. Sorry can someone reply to my post. How is this arranged for int'l students?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    check this link it should provide you with most of the information you are looking for.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.