Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like my girlfriend doesn't do enough for me. Watch

I provide a lot for her. Since we started going out from the first date, I have always paid half of the costs of anything that we do so it is always a fair relationship. I let her go out with her friends once a week and don't interrogate her over who she spoke to or what she did providing she's home at a reasonable time. I've helped her with her degree work (she's 19 at university, and i'm 27) and pointed out parts that made her sound stupid that she could improve on to get a better grade. The list goes on.

But I still feel that what she does for me doesn't really balance out. I am grateful that she has a meal ready for me at 6pm Monday to Friday when I return home from work, but then she tells me she's been busy with university all day and is too tired to go out sometimes or do anything with me, when i've been working a busy 9-5 job.

Another thing that bothers me, is that I come from quite a wealthy family. She has met my parents and they didn't approve of her background, but I convinced them to be civil. Now I'm supposed to be meeting her parents in a couple of weeks and I'm worried they will be very common.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how I can train her a little better, and maybe make her a little more respectable?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I provide a lot for her. Since we started going out from the first date, I have always paid half of the costs of anything that we do so it is always a fair relationship. I let her go out with her friends once a week and don't interrogate her over who she spoke to or what she did providing she's home at a reasonable time. I've helped her with her degree work (she's 19 at university, and i'm 27) and pointed out parts that made her sound stupid that she could improve on to get a better grade. The list goes on.

But I still feel that what she does for me doesn't really balance out. I am grateful that she has a meal ready for me at 6pm Monday to Friday when I return home from work, but then she tells me she's been busy with university all day and is too tired to go out sometimes or do anything with me, when i've been working a busy 9-5 job.

Another thing that bothers me, is that I come from quite a wealthy family. She has met my parents and they didn't approve of her background, but I convinced them to be civil. Now I'm supposed to be meeting her parents in a couple of weeks and I'm worried they will be very common.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how I can train her a little better, and maybe make her a little more respectable?
    This is a joke, right?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're only paying for half of a meal i assume she i paying the other half - so you can't use that in an argument!

So the only thing you got against your girlfriend is she doesn't go out with you when she is tired.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, take cover.

ReputationRep:
    I provide a lot for her. Since we started going out from the first date, I have always paid half of the costs of anythin that we do so it is always a fair relationship. I let her go out with her friends once a week and don't interrogate her over who she spoke to or what she did providing she's home at a reasonable time. I've helped her with her degree work (she's 19 at university, and i'm 27) and pointed out parts that made her sound stupid that she could improve on to get a better grade. The list goes on.

First of all, she's not a dog. you do not train her. Maybe when you have fathomed this out, you might get somewhere. People have different backgrounds, just because you are wealthy and she is "common" whats the problem there? If you love her that shouldn't matter. Infact it shouldn't anyway. I personally just think it's the age-gap thats a problem, she's at Uni you have a fulltime job and different commitments.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so silly man.

(Original post by Troubled_Student)
    First of all, she's not a dog. you do not train her.
    The same basic principles apply though; when an animal does something wrong, you teach it not to repeat that behaviour and become better from it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you let her go out? What are you, her dad?

ReputationRep:
    The same basic principles apply though; when an animal does something wrong, you teach it not to repeat that behaviour and become better from it.
    So you're calling her a ***** :woo:

Nah in all seriousness, she is who she is. If commoness is a problem then you shouldn't be going out with her. Don't be a snob and just act normal. As for paying half each, so what? Maybe do more stuff with her on weekends rather than once you've finished work. And its the summer now so she shouldn't be that busy with uni work

ReputationRep:
    Christ. Get your head out of your arse. You "let" her go out with her friends? How kind of you. Who are you to interrogate her about who she speaks to, anyway? To be honest, you sound lucky to have any girl give you the time of day.

ReputationRep:
    I think she's done enough for you already just by resisting the urge to strangle you.
    Seriously, you want to 'train' her??? You're worried her parents will be 'common'?? GTFO

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, Can I have her number and tell her to dump your ass asap.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. This can only be a troll or someone very, very stupid.

ReputationRep:
    This somehow reminds me of "common People" by Pulp..

I'd appreciate people not suggesting physical violence even if joking.. I don't find abuse very funny.

If we argue, I just limit her nights out with friends until she apologises or we come to a mutual apology.

ReputationRep:
    if you're trolling - you are a loser.
    if this is real - you are still a big loser.

ReputationRep:
    I'd appreciate people not suggesting physical violence even if joking.. I don't find abuse very funny.

If we argue, I just limit her nights out with friends until she apologises or we come to a mutual apology.
    oh
    my
    god
    i hope you're trolling. if not, my god, you're such a ******

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a total knob tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petticoatlove)
    This somehow reminds me of "common People" by Pulp..
    I wanna go to the supermarket.

ReputationRep:

Train her??!! LOL!! im 19, and engaged!! and i would not put up with that!!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.