Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why the heck are city breaks so expensive? watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend really wanna go away somewhere but neither of us are big sunbathers or anything so we think we would prefer to go to Paris or Rome or any of the big European city really. So I went onto Teletext to look up trips and for a three day break in Paris which flies out from London it's almost the same price as a week package holiday that flies from Belfast (where we live).

And it's only for three days if I'm going away I wanna make the most of it and go for a whole week. Does anyone have any advice on booking flights and accommodation separately? To do honest with you I'm lazy and just want flights, transfer and accommodation together but I don't think I'll get it

ReputationRep:
    Just do it. Go on individual airline sites (depends if you want full or low-cost service) and hotel/hostel websites. Make your dates correspond.
    I had an excellent ten days in New York doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShonaAnne)
    Me and my boyfriend really wanna go away somewhere but neither of us are big sunbathers or anything so we think we would prefer to go to Paris or Rome or any of the big European city really. So I went onto Teletext to look up trips and for a three day break in Paris which flies out from London it's almost the same price as a week package holiday that flies from Belfast (where we live).

And it's only for three days if I'm going away I wanna make the most of it and go for a whole week. Does anyone have any advice on booking flights and accommodation separately? To do honest with you I'm lazy and just want flights, transfer and accommodation together but I don't think I'll get it
    When I do city breaks I just find a website that does a 'flight & hotel' package. Just check how far the hotel is from the airport b4 booking and reviews. Use:
    holidaysupermarket.com > generally cheapest
    travelsupermarket
    expedia
    ebookers
    lastminute > probably most expensive

ReputationRep:
    Packages are always more expensive and we always get ripped off on flights in Northern Ireland.

Perhaps try flying from Dublin? The bus down to the airport there is pretty cheap.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Flights - kayak.com
    Hotels - venere.com

Don't know why people bother with these 'packaged holidays' when it's so simple to do it yourself.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.