Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying a BSc in Sociology and hoping to go into teaching in the future. However, rather than applying for a Pgce i think id rather become a teaching assistant first. I'm just wondering how i would go about becoming a teaching assistant? most jobs require nvqs but how would i gain these? would i have to go back to college even though i'd have a degree??:confused: thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have been a Teaching Assistant in a College for a while. With a degree you wouldn't need any more qualifications, most people who I work with don't have A-Levels. Write a letter to all of the places you want to teach explaining your circumstances and just go from there. The pay isn't very good though and personally I think it's better to do your PGCE now and start training to teach. Surely you don't want to still be in debt from your degree?!? lol

Also it may sound obvious but if you have a criminal record (apart from minor motoring offences) then you won't pass the CRB check and you won't be allowed to work in a teaching capacity at all. The place you work should pay for that before you begin work.
    Hope that helps!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    What kind of TA? I became a TA in a primary school after my degree (no NVQ either). I sent out a load of application forms and only heard back from a few - had 4 interviews (altho could only attend 3) and luckily got the last job! It's just down to the school and the other people who apply - how you fair against them. The 2 I didn't get said that I was very good at the interview and everything, but that other applicants just had more experience so they went with them. Try and get as much experience as you can I did York Students In Schools, where I volunteered in a class for half a day a week but there's also the SAS to look into

ReputationRep:
    oooh thankyou :-) no i dont have any sort of criminal record so that should be fine. i just thought it would be better to become a teaching assistant first to gain some experience of being in the classroom rather than going straight into a pgce! i don't think i have enough experience yet. thanks for your help x

ReputationRep:
    well as my degree is in sociology i would be looking to be a TA in a secondary school. However, theres not really many opportunities where i live to do voluntary work like you have. i will probably have to go and look into it myself. thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I did York Students In Schools, where I volunteered in a class for half a day a week but there's also the SAS to look into
    Woo, I do YSIS! I don't know what I'd have done without it! a great way to get classroom experience.

ReputationRep:
    awww, i wish there was something near me lol i live in derbyshire and theres nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjesspembyxx)
    I'm currently studying a BSc in Sociology and hoping to go into teaching in the future. However, rather than applying for a Pgce i think id rather become a teaching assistant first. I'm just wondering how i would go about becoming a teaching assistant? most jobs require nvqs but how would i gain these? would i have to go back to college even though i'd have a degree??:confused: thanks!
    I have worked at a high school over the last year during my gap year. Ask your old high school, if you were a good student and worked hard they may favour your application since you will know the local community better?
    If you can't get a job just try and volunteer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Well the YSIS was done through the university. The uni also organised other volunteering opportunities, so I expect you could find something. If not, contact schools/the LEA to see about getting experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjesspembyxx)
    I got a job as a teaching assistant in a primary assistant with no previous experience or qualifications. I did work in a school in the job i had before that but only as admin in the school office. Just apply for the job and explain in the interview that in the future you want to do a PGCE but for the time being you want experience of being in a classroom first.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.