The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think you have answered your own question
Where are you getting this crap from?
Reply 3
It's more about networking, the degree itself and whether an employer will hire you and support you through the visa process anyway.
Reply 4
You will probably be fine. One of my brothers did an internship with Continental Airlines in Houston and was told that there was another Brit there who'd graduated from one of the top British universities. Turned out the guy had a third from the University of Westminster.
Reply 5
JCM89
there was another Brit there who'd graduated from one of the top British universities. Turned out the guy had a third from the University of Westminster.

:woo: :woo: :woo:
That is brilliant !
flugestuge
:woo: :woo: :woo:
That is brilliant !

Americans probably just thought the name in itself was impressive and didn't research it!
Reply 7
Choccielatte
Americans probably just thought the name in itself was impressive and didn't research it!

And they probably thought that a Third meant that he ranked third in the entire university ! :woo: :woo:

Now I now know what to advise those who get a Third from London Met ....
They might have just seen the "University of London" name, which is, as I've heard, very popular in the states.
Reply 9
monalisasmile.
They might have just seen the "University of London" name, which is, as I've heard, very popular in the states.

Westminster is not part of the University of London.
Of course, they might have just seen " Westminster London" and thought "Oxford is in London (sic) and if he studied in London, he must have gone to Oxford."

Geopgraphy is not our strong point.
Each year many of my fellow Americans go to Africa due to the mistaken impression that Cannes is a town in Nigeria.
:O it isn't? I went on a taster course there and I could have been sure that it was organised by the University of London with different courses at different colleges! Oh dear, how clever of me :tongue:
Reply 11
What's wrong with getting a British Masters?
Reply 12
Choccielatte

Probably!

I saw an episode of the US version of The Apprentice a couple of years ago and there was a British contestant called Sean Yasbeck who kept saying that he was a valedictorian at "The Southamptom Solent University" - emphasising the 'The' made it sound truly impressive. He did well and won the show - now works for Donald Trump.

Shows you just need a bit of bravado to make it over there :wink:
Reply 13
sandeep90
As the title says what chance do you think I stand at moving to the US and succeeding with an Economics degree from a lower ranked University (Nottingham Trent in this case).

I know that in the US only really the top Unis such as Oxbridge and Imperial so do I stand a chance with a US company? Should I try to get a Masters from a higher ranked University after I graduate to increase my chances even though a British Masters in meant to be seen as inferior to a US Masters?

Where are you getting all of this from?!!? :s-smilie: Has TSR got you thinking you can't have a good life if you've attended any of the unis outside of the top 3?
Reply 14
As long as it has something related to London in the Title you will be fine.

Get a Postgrad from Oxford Brookes! Seriously.
Reply 15
Nick_000
As long as it has something related to London in the Title you will be fine.

As long as you have a British accent you'll be fine. :p:
xx
(edited 12 years ago)
sandeep90
I think so, I see so many people on TSR going to the top Unis and it gets me thinking whether I will earn much out of my degree from a lower ranked Uni. Maybe it's just insecurity.

Don't worry, as long you are not going to an ex-poly, you should be fine.
Even a second tier university like Bristol/Warwick or a third tier university like SOAS will improve your prospects.
On the other hand, avoid ex-polys....They do tend to damage your career prospects.
Reply 18
It all depends on the course you have studied. i know you say you've studied Economics and I'm not up on which unis are better for Economics but in various subjects Oxbridge is not necessarily the best. I'm gonna be studying a postgrad Theology course at Durham, I picked Durham because of a member of staff who has similar research interests to me and it's also a lot closer to home, but for those who care about such things, Durham is ranked the top uni in the UK for Theology. My undergrad degree was in Ancient History and Egyptology, again Oxbridge isn't at the top of the rankings for that either. Whether i'd wanted to or not I wouldn't have gotten into Oxbridge with my A level results anyway, six months off with glandular fever meant i missed a lot of work.

Latest

Trending

Trending