Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying First Electric - Ibanez Just For Metal? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1507)
    Now THAT is a good use of a student loan. :drool:

What's it play like?
    Like he said^

It definitely is nicer than any non-custom I've ever played and is comparable to a KxK or similar in neck feel, though maybe a touch thicker.

I think all these really high end guitars all play really well but you just have to find one that fits you better. I still play my schecter (Loomis sig.) which has a thick neck on it.

The body shape is really comfortable too, though it does tend to neck dive a little, but that's a shape flaw, not a build one though, and I'm willing to accept it because the shape is badass.

ReputationRep:
    I saw one on sevenstring.org which was in a more traditional shape which almost looked worth the 2,000,000p and months of waiting. Was this close to ordering a custom actually, before I got laid off. Wouldn't have quite managed a Ran though

ReputationRep:
    I've played various cheap guitars (as well as quite a few expensive ones) and I always recommend a Yamaha Pacifica. Best strat style guitar for the money, especially the recently updated 112V. Also have a look at the "Vintage" brand. They do some good clones of most well known shapes, and they have good quality Wilkinson hardware. Squier and Epiphone guitars are good guitars, but the Yamaha is much better IMO.

As for an amp, go for a Vox Valvetronix. Great little practice amp with lots of different tones. You can use the bigger ones for gigging as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    Ibanez are basically only for metal, at least the RG series is. The fact it has dual humbuckers means you don't get a very good tone from them other than metal tones. I tried one through my Orange amp, and even then it sounded bad!
    I wouldn't be too quick to say that. I ran a 1992 RG550 with a Lo-Pro Edge as my main guitar for around two years. Ok you may say, but I play classic rock and blues, and I'm a Strat man, but I loved it to bits and gutted I had to sell it. Although I love single coils, and now run a Strat as my main guitar, that RG sounded fantastic, and played like butter. It hadn't the original pickups, granted (They had been replaced with Seymour Duncans) but it was a lovely guitar indeed (I'd love to buy it back off the guy, but I have no money )
    With the HSH setup and a locking trem, they are VERY versatile guitars indeed - you'd be surprised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calum_B)
    I wouldn't be too quick to say that. I ran a 1992 RG550 with a Lo-Pro Edge as my main guitar for around two years. Ok you may say, but I play classic rock and blues, and I'm a Strat man, but I loved it to bits and gutted I had to sell it. Although I love single coils, and now run a Strat as my main guitar, that RG sounded fantastic, and played like butter. It hadn't the original pickups, granted (They had been replaced with Seymour Duncans) but it was a lovely guitar indeed (I'd love to buy it back off the guy, but I have no money )
    With the HSH setup and a locking trem, they are VERY versatile guitars indeed - you'd be surprised!
    I agree they play very well (still prefer my strat though ), but the pickups are very poor.
    Of course you do say you swapped them out, so yes this is an option for the OP if they are prepared to pay more.
    So yes, if you are willing to change to better pickups then they can be good guitars! but if not I would definitely advise against :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Pickups aren't that bad, only on the very low end models.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    I agree they play very well (still prefer my strat though ), but the pickups are very poor.
    Of course you do say you swapped them out, so yes this is an option for the OP if they are prepared to pay more.
    So yes, if you are willing to change to better pickups then they can be good guitars! but if not I would definitely advise against :yep:
    Well, I sold mine to get my Strat, so that gives you an idea of which I prefer! I got a good deal on my Strat, and couldn't really say no, and I love it to bits. I am a massive maple fingerboard fan however, and my RG was maple but my Strat has rosewood... other than that I love it!

And the pickups were in when I got mine. I paid just under £200 for that guitar off ebay. Granted it needed some work to re-commission it as an everyday player as it had been sat in a loft, but what a fantastic buy that was, and of course I made money on it. The sound was fantastic, though I cannot comment on the original pickups. The main thing to avoid on the cheaper Ibanez guitars is the poor locking trems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calum_B)
    Well, I sold mine to get my Strat, so that gives you an idea of which I prefer! I got a good deal on my Strat, and couldn't really say no, and I love it to bits. I am a massive maple fingerboard fan however, and my RG was maple but my Strat has rosewood... other than that I love it!
    Ah I love maple fingerboards! I had to wait another 2 months for them to order one in from the fender factory in america because there weren't any with the pickup config I wanted (HSS) and a maple fingerboard in the UK at the time! Well worth the wait though

Strat player high five haha :p:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.