Turn on thread page Beta

Learning Piano: Am I good enough? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing piano for quite a while now but I feel like I'm progressing really slowly and don't know if I should give up.
    I started having lessons when I was 9 (I'm 16 now) but until I was 14 they were only 20 minute lessons once a week, and only during term time. Then when I was supposed to be taking Grade 3, my teacher didn't get it sorted out in time for me to do it that November/December session after I'd learnt all the pieces, and the next year the pieces changed so I know that held me back a bit. And after that I had to change teachers and it took a while to find a new one and get back on track.
    I'm doing Grade 5 this winter but everyone my age seems to be on Grade 8 or something and I feel really behind. Music isn't really my strength either, I'm not rubbish at it but it doesn't come totally naturally to me either. The thing is that I really want to be good at piano and I'd like to get up to Grade 8 standard eventually, but i don't want to be wasting my time if it's not going to happen.
    Is there any point carrying on? 7 years and only grade 5 seems kind of bad.

ReputationRep:
    Giving up piano was one of the worst decisions i've ever made. You should definitely keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XDaydreamer)
    I've been playing piano for quite a while now but I feel like I'm progressing really slowly and don't know if I should give up.
    I started having lessons when I was 9 (I'm 16 now) but until I was 14 they were only 20 minute lessons once a week, and only during term time. Then when I was supposed to be taking Grade 3, my teacher didn't get it sorted out in time for me to do it that November/December session after I'd learnt all the pieces, and the next year the pieces changed so I know that held me back a bit. And after that I had to change teachers and it took a while to find a new one and get back on track.
    I'm doing Grade 5 this winter but everyone my age seems to be on Grade 8 or something and I feel really behind. Music isn't really my strength either, I'm not rubbish at it but it doesn't come totally naturally to me either. The thing is that I really want to be good at piano and I'd like to get up to Grade 8 standard eventually, but i don't want to be wasting my time if it's not going to happen.

grades aren't necessarily a measure of how good you are, just how well you play at that level

I will say this however, i started learning when i was 8, and by i was 14 i was at grade 7 piano...

ReputationRep:
    don't give up, I feel similar. Every week I come back from my lesson thinking "I'm doing to do half an hour a night" and I never do. It's better than quitting though.

ReputationRep:
    Just take your time! Some people take longer than others and it's really rewarding when you get up to the top levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, grade 8 is overrated. I've done grade 8 and consider myself "good" at playing the piano, but that's as far as it goes. I'm no natural musician and I know people who take to it far better than me, who have no grades. And tbh I've taken absolutely nothing away from doing grades. My finger patterns have always been awful and I've never adhered to them, because I started learning alot of piano stuff on my own and am a bit "off the wall" compared to other classically "trained" pianists who have done striclty grades 1-8 since they were young. I only took piano lessons from the age of about 13 to 18, but spent about 3 years before that messing about on keyboards etc, and have only done grades 4,6 and 8. For me, grades were just a formality and something to do, the real fun of it is just playing anything that catches my eye in the music shop, especially film music and jazz.

It's up to you, but just because "others" are doing higher grades than you, doesn't mean you should quit wtf. It doesn't matter how many years it takes you to achieve anything, you may have taken other things away from those years which can't be quantified on paper. I know a guy who plays just as good as me, if not better and faster learner, and he only did up to grade 3 and got bored with grades, and he could play 8 pieces well if he wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I did my piano grade 8 2 years ago at 15, however, I started at 5.
    Here's my advice:
    The key to being good at the piano and with any instruments is practice.For example when your tired from homework play the piano.

2. Listen to as much classical music as you can. The more you listen, the more you understand the different periods in music and you will become better at knowing how to express yourself on differents kinds of pieces.

Finally I tell you, no one is incapable of reaching grade 8. The pianist Lang Lang once said that his success was due to '5% talent, 95% hard work'.
    When I started playing the piano, I was seriously double jointed and the teacher had to put a ball under my hand to hold it up. Up until 13 I also had small hands and there were many pieces I couldn't play. However through practice my teacher now says I have perfect hands for playing the piano.
    I am also quiet dyspraxic which makes playing the piano difficult. But again through practice I got there.

So nothing an stop you reaching your aims. If you really want to do it, you will.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to progress to pass grade 8, you will
    it doesn't matter how old you are when you take it either - those that are now so good they're off the chart are likely to have started from a really young age or have a real talent for music

if the piano was the first instrument you've played, you've done well b'coz you'd have had to have learnt all the basics from scratch

keep at it and you will succsseed (i know that's not the right spelling) there's no reason for you not to achieve your goal

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are planning to do music as some sort of official qualification or course or whatever, does it really matter what grade or level you are at? If at most its only going to be a hobby of yours or something, why do you need a number to tell you how good you are? apart from going down on your CV in your interests section or whatever, its fairly irrelevant whatever grade you are if you only play for leisure. Just play for fun, isn't that why you do it? Im a self taught guitarist, and I probably suck. Im not doing for anything more than something to kill time on, and I doubt I'll be in a band or anything but I play just because its fun and you should too if you are in a similar situation

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and I am about grade 4 standard! I took my grade 4 three years ago, but then stopped playing the piano just before my grade 5 (my teacher was evil!) I have just started playing again and I really love it, but I wish I had kept going when I stopped, now I have to do all the hard work again.

ReputationRep:
    Don't quit 'cause other people are ahead of you. Just go at your own pace and you will get where you want to be, no matter how long it takes. And for someone who says music does not come naturally, grade 5 in 7 years certainly isn't bad at all!

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna keep this short... Only give up if your not enjoying it

ReputationRep:
    I say forget grades, forget those **** examinations, learn for yourself, play for yourself

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like you really enjoy playing and are anxious to give up so i think you should stick at it

i didn't take piano grade 8 until i was 19...it really doesn't matter when you take grade 8 as long as you enjoy it

it's not a race so you shouldn't measure your ability on how others are doing

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Don't compare yourself with others. Do you really enjoy playing once you're sitting there? I practice every day , it's sometimes a drudge but once I'm at the keyboard, I'm happy

stravrach

ReputationRep:

I assure you that you are more than good enough. Whether or not you'll continue depends on whether or not you *want* to. Really.

ReputationRep:
    Don't stop, you'll regret it. If you want to progress faster you should dedicate more time to practicing and try to get into it and actually love the music, don't just learn what you need to learn for your grades. That's totally missing the point IMO.

ReputationRep:
    "Is there any point?"

Well of course there is! Playing a musical instrument is a worthwhile skill, and you should certainly not give up just because you didn't get things done as quickly as you would have liked to! I didn't do things particularly quickly either, and there times when, to my shame, I wanted to give up (damn scales), but looking back, I'm so glad I didn't. I wouldn't say I was a natural musician either, in fact I **** myself when I perform (which is thankfully very rare), and I literally scraped a Pass on my last two exams, but I like learning and playing the pieces. You don't have to be the best. You just have to enjoy it. And ideally, be steadily advancing (but how fast really doesn't matter).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.