Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Times and Gaurdian league tables are different - why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Any reason?

ReputationRep:
    No Idea, I guess they both have contrasting opinions as to what makes the best university.

Check out the table I attatched its of Top 30 Business schools and their ranking in Guardian, Times and Independant all very different.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls BusinessManagement League Table's Guide.xls (30.0 KB, 91 views)

ReputationRep:
    They rank the universities using a points system, and both gives points for different things, or there is higher balance of points for one aspect and lower for another with could be the opposite for the other guide. If that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    You should try the Guardians league table instead.

ReputationRep:
    Um... Because they use a different method to compile the table? The Guardian weights highly on satisfaction and a 'value added score', the Times more on research and entry standards. Anyone who looked at the table or read the guide that came with them for more than, oh, four seconds, would have known that without having to create a thread on it.

ReputationRep:
    my form tutor says to be careful with the guardian's league tables- apprently they have an "agenda" of getting the "less well-known universities" nearer the top of the table. i don't know how she knows/thinks this, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyarian)
    my form tutor says to be careful with the guardian's league tables- apprently they have an "agenda" of getting the "less well-known universities" nearer the top of the table. i don't know how she knows/thinks this, though
    It's a league table, that's all. They decide to get a lot of numbers, like % of students happy with teaching, add them all up, give a final score, then put those with the most at the top. It's not an 'agenda', its merely the Guardian's belief that the way they do it puts the 'best' at the top. The Times do it differently, I doubt its their 'agenda' to keep the older universities at the top, its merely a lot of numbers multiplied together. In theory, anyone could go on HESA, get these figures, and compile them in any way they liked- it doesn't make any table any more or less 'correct' than another.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You forgot about the one by The Independent. :p:

Seriously, though. Ignore newspaper league tables. They serve little purpose and take into account far too many (useless) factors which serve little purpose for higher education and can all be very subjective depending on the person in question.

ReputationRep:
    What can you say about the sudden rise on Tariff points at most Scottish universities?
    Is that really justified?

Are Scottish universities more selective the English unis?

ReputationRep:
    Different categories for the university options and maybe different results too... look up what's important to you and judge on that =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    What can you say about the sudden rise on Tariff points at most Scottish universities?

Because of the recession, therefore families have less money? Cheaper to go to uni in Scotland then England...

And depends on how popular the uni is...

ReputationRep:
    They judge on different criteria so end up with different results.

Simples.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

Its no different to the agendas others have of coming over the face of Oxbridge, Durham, York, LSE and so forth.

I swear Oxbridge could sell off all its teaching assets, set up in a corner of a local McDonalds and still be ranked 1 & 2 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Because of the recession, therefore families have less money? Cheaper to go to uni in Scotland then England...

And depends on how popular the uni is...
    The entry tarrif is an average, it would only rise if people who got above average grades decided to go to university instead of going to work but generally people who get above average grades go to university anyway, also the recession woulnd't have had an effeect on this table since these is last year's data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    The entry tarrif is an average, it would only rise if people who got above average grades decided to go to university instead of going to work but generally people who get above average grades go to university anyway, also the recession woulnd't have had an effeect on this table since these is last year's data.
    That and people gaining good grades rise annually...

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian one seems to put a higher weighting on student satisfaction and spending although this isn't reliable.

Firstly, some of the lower universities have cheated by telling their students that if they give good satisfaction on the NUS survey, the uni rank will go up and they will be more favourably looked upon by employers. Tthis is why you don't see satisfaction scores for Cambridge since they boycotted it ever since that revelation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7399059.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7404864.stm

Secondly, higher spending does not mean better teaching or education. If a university had just completed a big project, for example and it didn't need to spend much for the next few years its rating would fall even though teaching quality wouldn't necessarily fall.

Unfortunately the ranking in The Times has this year placed a greater weighting on studetnsatisfaction which is why Exeter, with on of the highest NUS scores, is now 9th and LSE, with 73% satisfaction, only 7th.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ILIGAN)

It's more likely to have something to do with how Scottish Highers are converted into UCAS tariff points, but 0404343m is likely to know more about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)

Seriously, though. Ignore newspaper league tables. They serve little purpose and take into account far too many (useless) factors which serve little purpose for higher education and can all be very subjective depending on the person in question.
    I disagree. The Times league table gives a rough idea into which universities are actually good and which are bad academically.

Obviously never trust the Guardian league tables though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    Obviously never trust the Guardian league tables though!

Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)

Did you just neg me? Of course the Times league table is useful. It contains information on research ratings and entry standards onto degree courses. Also on final destinations. Why wouldn't this be useful? If you use the league tables from each year for the last five years you can easily build up a good idea as to which the best universities in the country are. What gives you the right to say they aren't useful anyway?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.