Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So you guys know, im really not the best with computers i have a basic understanding of things but my knowledge is limited. The last one i got was suggested by some crazy swedish mate i knew, who had some job with PCs.

I plan to still be gaming a fair bit on my PC at uni, and thinking of getting Aion, which looks rather taxing on a computer. So i was wondering:
    1) "Gaming" laptop or a desktop? gaming laptops tend to be very expensive compared to desktops, and im just wondering why i want a laptop instead of a desktop anyway.
    2) Can you suggest a good one or handful of? My budget is around £800-£1000.

Thanks for any advice peeps =]

Wow, you don't need a £800-£1000 computer to play Aion.

Laptops are 10 times more expensive than an equivalent desktop, so unless portability is a main issue go with a desktop.

Generally, it would be much cheaper if you built one yourself (it isn't hard at all). If you want pre-built ones you could go with companies such as Novatech or Scan.

If you want a PC purely for MMORPGs then I wouldn't imagine spending £600 maximum including the monitor and other peripherals.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    i have an acer 6935 with a 9600m gt graphics card. plays games really well but be aware most laptops have very bad cards. ya use notebookcheck.com to make sure the laptops card has a decent 3d mark

ReputationRep:
    I'd build your own PC if I were you, it's not hard at all and much cheaper that buying from somewhere like PC World or Dell. I built mine from about £550 and it runs like a dream.

Intel Q6600 2.6GHz
    Nvidia 8800GT 512Mb
    3Gb RAM
    500GB 7200RPM Sata HDD
    22" Monitor
    and all the rest (case, dvd drive, mobo etc.)

You could build a decent PC and buy a laptop with your £1000 budget.

ReputationRep:
    Desktop.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for the responses peeps Glad to hear it'll be a lot cheaper than i thought initially.

ReputationRep:
    i built a similar spec pc to jinjer for £450

amd athlon 2.8
    250gig HDD
    s series gigabyte motherboard, any from around £40-60 that supports am2/am2+ cant remember what mine was
    nvidia geforce 8600gt 512ram
    420watt psu
    20x speed cd/dvd player

but if you want a pretty hardcore gaming pc the one i'm running now is also custom built for around £800, but is worth around £1000 all together

amd phenom 2.3 quad core
    nvidia geforce 260gtx 893ram(somewhere around that much ram its random i know)
    250gig HDD
    19"widescreen hd screen
    motherboard is a gigabyte am2+ socket mother board with the gaming chipset of 790GP (about £120)
    antec 300 gaming case with 2 6inch fans
    sli ready gaiming psu 720watt with a hell of a lot sockets lol

oh and you'll need a decent mouse, i have a logitech 1000dpi

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.