Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Differences between public and comprehensive schools watch

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering, what do you guys think are the main differentiators between public and comprehensive schools? What makes the private sector so much more effective when it comes to schooling than it's government counterpart? Specific examples would be good too.

ReputationRep:
    money and independence

ReputationRep:
    tradition and lack of political meddling.

The state sector, as far as I can tell, worked fine until selection stopped (obviously not for those who didn't make it, but whatever)

Money helps, not least to pay teachers more than the state sector; but also the ability to chose and easily kick out pupils. I don't think that there is a curse that state schools must do worse, it's just the niche that independent schools have is being high quality (why else pay?)

ReputationRep:
    I think both are essentially the same, but that generally public school students are pushed more by their parents because they're paying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janos_D)
    tradition and lack of political meddling
    What do you mean by tradition? And what political meddling? Wouldn't law apply to everyone and not only the rich?

(Original post by daftndirekt)
    Anal rape
    The only butt-rape I can see is that of comprehensive school students being deeply anally penetrated by public school students, coming out with better grades, year on year. Why does this keep happening? Lack of resources maybe?

(Original post by Janos_D)
    Money helps, not least to pay teachers more than the state sector
    ETA: So if government employed teachers were given a pay hike to the point where it matched/superceded that of private sector teachers you're saying this might influence them to teach better/ attract better teachers to government teaching spots?

ReputationRep:
    Does someone have an assignment to do?

ReputationRep:
    Public schools have an awful lot more money put into them.

Furthermore, everyone at a public school is going to have parents that care a lot about their education and who will push them to do well.

I don't think you are correct to say that public schools are much more effective than their government counterparts. There are some absolutely excellent state schools. You also need to remember that it depends on the child: most public schools are very good for pushy/confident/academic children; but can be a total disaster for some others. The public primary school I went to was absolutely fab for me, but turned out to be an absolute disaster for my brother who had to be taken out; and is now doing fantastically at a much more caring and less pushy State school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cool)
    What do you mean by tradition? And what political meddling? Wouldn't law apply to everyone and not only the rich?
    By tradition I mean that public schools have a history and culture they can draw on, you know that you can achieve and are in an important establishment

State schools constantly have directions by whatever fad the govt wants to push. They can't build up an identity and teachers have no freedom. It's very burocratic

ReputationRep:
    smaller class sizes. better behaviour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cool)
    What makes the public sector so much more effective when it comes to schooling than it's government counterpart? Specific examples would be good too.
    Pushy parents willing to splash the cash, basically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I think both are essentially the same, but that generally public school students are pushed more by their parents because they're paying.
    Completely wrong, public schools have the cream of the pick, so there is a hard working atmosphere, they attract the best teachers, they have more resources, there are more pressure on exam boards from these schools. Manchester Grammar school gets about 50 students into oxbridge each year and a school like Westminster (I know a guy from there) has a 96% A-level A/B pass rate! They aren't even the top public schools, every year when you look at the top league tables, you can still see a huge divide between the top selective comps and top selective public in terms of results, public is better overall. What do you make of that? I know people who work day and night to get AAA nad they have no social life/ec's basically where there are people who at public schools who easily get AAA or more now that 4-5 A-levels are more common, plus they have a range of EC's and a good social life.

ReputationRep:
    I both, at the same time, loathe and love the fact I went to a comprehensive :-/

ReputationRep:
    Public schools have larger budgets and can therefore do more things for their students, eg. swimming pools, CCF with rifle/armoury and generally higher quality activities and resources which other state schools cannot afford, they also have much smaller classes and a larger teacherupil ratio, they also have a good brand name which universities like.
    Public schools also have relationships between their pupils and students are given more attention and are not locked out of the school every lunch etc.

State schools have a smaller budget per pupil and cannot do/afford many of the things that public schools can, there is also the problem of trust as many of the best students such as myself will go to public schools on scholarships and bursaries, even though we could never afford them normally. This leaves the dregs of the students with the state, so many of the things that public schools do would not be possible, imagine a chav with the SA80 with blanks (they can kill at 50m), you probbably will get all the rifles stolen and most of the students killed. However, state school students have so many state provided oppurtunites that public schools dont get. eg. it is almost impossible to get any work exp. in hospitals, yet my friend was offered one as he goes to a state school and they did everything for him...The brighter ones get tonnes of chances and are put on various schemes whilst I have to create the large majority of my oppurtunities and am considered average by my school despite my 8 A/A* predictions at GCSE, I would be worshipped at a state school for predictions like them...

Personally, I would have preferred to attend a state school, simply for the oppurtunities that the state will give you, however without my public schooling, I would not have many of the qualities/qualificatioins I have today and would be at a great disadvantage to others for uni applications.

ReputationRep:
    Types of pupils which attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Completely wrong, public schools have the cream of the pick, so there is a hard working atmosphere, they attract the best teachers, they have more resources, there are more pressure on exam boards from these schools. Manchester Grammar school gets about 50 students into oxbridge each year and a school like Westminster (I know a guy from there) has a 96% A-level A/B pass rate! They aren't even the top public schools, every year when you look at the top league tables, you can still see a huge divide between the top selective comps and top selective public in terms of results, public is better overall. What do you make of that? I know people who work day and night to get AAA nad they have no social life/ec's basically where there are people who at public schools who easily get AAA or more now that 4-5 A-levels are more common, plus they have a range of EC's and a good social life.
    What do I make of that?
    I don't know. It doesn't seem like you've told me anything different.
    You've told me everything at the beginning that you believe, then backed your opinion up with facts that also correlate with my beliefs...

ReputationRep:
    Obviously what motivates people to behave and keep their heads down in a private school is the threat of becoming somebody's *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    What do I make of that?
    I don't know. It doesn't seem like you've told me anything different.
    You've told me everything at the beginning that you believe, then backed your opinion up with facts that also correlate with my beliefs...
    What? no! I have clearly stated pubic schools are much better than state schools and you have said they are essentially the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    What? no! I have clearly stated pubic schools are much better than state schools and you have said they are essentially the same!
    Yes, but what have you used to back that claim up that doesn't also back my own up?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    The real value of private schools is the extra non-teaching work they request (or require, I'm not sure) of their teachers, which leads to far more clubs and societies, and a greater school ethos and spirit.

Above all though, I suppose educationally people are paying for the greater individual attention.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.