The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
K the Failure

Spoiler

Hmm, the things you've listed sound pretty worth it, and I'd definately agree with what you're saying on it not being all comps that are below par. What's your opinion on pupils emerging from private and independant schools being more knowledgeable and wised up on world issues and political matters? Surely smaller class sizes and more ECs couldn't solely account for this? Or would you say that's a whole other matter to do with home upbringing?

Marsha2112
Because they do IGCSEs not "what is the danger of mobile phones" and "which of these statements about suncream demonstrates the risk outweighing the benefits".

Sorry I don't know much about the IGCSEs, could you expand on what you're saying?
Mr. Cool
Hmm, the things you've listed sound pretty worth it, and I'd definitely agree with what you're saying on it not being all comps that are below par. What's your opinion on pupils emerging from private and independant schools being more knowledgeable and wised up on world issues and political matters? Surely smaller class sizes and more ECs couldn't solely account for this? Or would you say that's a whole other matter to do with home upbringing?

Sorry I don't know much about the IGCSEs, could you expand on what you're saying?

Well, IGCSEs are supposed to be more difficult & traditional, whereas normal ones have been dumbed down so some subjects, mainly science, are a complete joke. Those examples of questions are actual exam questions, and in the first half of the course literally all the questions were along those lines.
Mr. Cool
Hmm, the things you've listed sound pretty worth it, and I'd definitely agree with what you're saying on it not being all comps that are below par. What's your opinion on pupils emerging from private and independant schools being more knowledgeable and wised up on world issues and political matters? Surely smaller class sizes and more ECs couldn't solely account for this? Or would you say that's a whole other matter to do with home upbringing?

In general, the parents of pupils of an independant school have professional jobs. This means that they are exposed to an educated-orientated environment. As I've mentioned before, there is less stigma on wanting to learn, so there is more freedom to discuss whatever you want. With my friends at school, I discuss things such as politics of Iran whereas with my friends who live near me (and go to the local comp) I discuss pretty much just games... and more games, not that I don't do that at school. This is just me, it could be the other way round depending the type of person you are and what your friends are like. I just think that private school kids are more liable to take an interest in current affairs.

Mr. Cool

iGCSEs (international GCSEs) are supposed to be harder than regular ones (I'm not sure if they actually are but they're supposed to help bridge the gap between GCSE and A-level).

Latest

Trending

Trending