Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fed up of getting ripped off by student loans because you're middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    People are misunderstanding this thread.

It was not designed to offend you in anyway.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    How are you being 'ripped off' because you're not being given as much money as you want to receive? You are not entitled to receive whatever money you want, even if it is in the form of a loan.

Its such ********. I would definitely rather be from a low earning family. At least then I might acutally be rich. Oh, the irony.
    Because receiving £30 a week is so much better than the benefits you get by being middle class.

You are an absolute fool if you think the difference between a working class and a middle class lifestyle is less than £30 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    How are you being 'ripped off' because you're not being given as much money as you want to receive? You are not entitled to receive whatever money you want, even if it is in the form of a loan.
    When some of my friends are recieving £6,000 or whatver and I'm recieving just over £2,000 with no other support, I'm entitled to be a little pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not getting anything because my parents earn too much Yet they don't have much money to support me.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that the student loan company are "ripping us off" but apart from that I agree with everything you have said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Well I'm not getting anything because my parents earn too much Yet they don't have much money to support me.
    Exactly.

How is this fair.

I have to come up with £700 for my house by myself. Yet, the reason I don't recieve loans/grants is because my parents are supposed to help. They don't.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand how the OP feels it was exactly the same for my sister and I, even taking my Dad's wage out of the equation my step-mum earnt too much. I got the minimun loan amounts as did my sister, it was quite annoying because a lot of my friends were entitled to the full amount, opened more than one student bank account for extra overdrafts and grants from uni.

We were lucky because Dad paid for most things and we got an allowance, however I completely disagree with the assumption that my parents would have done this. I believe every student should be entitled to the same amount of loan, they have to pay it back in the same fashion, I don't understand the problem.

(Original post by Nick_000)
    When some of my friends are recieving £6,000 or whatver and I'm recieving just over £2,000 with no other support, I'm entitled to be a little pissed off.
    get a part-time job?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    How are you getting only £2,000?

72% not income assessed £2,763 £3,564 £4,988

The first figure is for people who live at home, the last for people who live at university in London.

ReputationRep:
    My loan didn't cover my accomadation (which is a damned rip-off anyway) which meant I had to spend my savings to get myself through the year. Yet my parents still don't "give" me money, (I mean the odd twenty quid now and again when I'm short, doesn't count)

ReputationRep:
    i felt exactly the same way with EMA, and my girlfriend is in exactly the same place as uni student loan wise because her parents give her hardly any money (though admitedly she doest ask) and gets the minimum student loan.

so im totally with you on this one since its all got to be paid back anyway i dont see why everyone cant recieve the same student loan then topped up with means tested grant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    get a part-time job?
    I already do thanks. Have done for the last 5 years. The Government don't hand me money so I have to work for it.

Unfortunately, it won't cover my rent and my bills because apparently I'm rich.

ReputationRep:
    The system is just so unfair. On my dads salary alone, I qualify for only the bare minimum loans available.

Yet, I have to pay for everything. My parents don't give me much. The system is designed so low earning families quailify for grants and higher loans whilst high earning families are supposed to support their kids through uni. It doesn't work like this though.

Its just such ********. Its another example of the working class getting everything at the expense of the middle class. In this country, you should either be poor or rich.

Its exactly the same with EMA. I went to a local school (no transport costs for anyone) that supplied us with all our equipment. Yet, some people we're getting £30 a week whilst I had to work 16 hours part time.

Its such ********. I would definitely rather be from a low earning family. At least then I might acutally be rich. Oh, the irony.

Rant over. Neg away because I don't subscribe to your views.

Im in exactly the same situation. My parents earn too much - but due to younger siblings and other monetary things arent able to give anything towards uni. I dont mind not being given grants - I dont want their free money - but it just pisses me off that you're not entitled to the whole loan. You have to pay it back anyway!

ReputationRep:
    The system is just so unfair. On my dads salary alone, I qualify for only the bare minimum loans available.

Yet, I have to pay for everything. My parents don't give me much. The system is designed so low earning families quailify for grants and higher loans whilst high earning families are supposed to support their kids through uni. It doesn't work like this though.

Its just such ********. Its another example of the working class getting everything at the expense of the middle class. In this country, you should either be poor or rich.

Its exactly the same with EMA. I went to a local school (no transport costs for anyone) that supplied us with all our equipment. Yet, some people we're getting £30 a week whilst I had to work 16 hours part time.

Rant over. Neg away because I don't subscribe to your views.
    Poor you having to work 16 hours part time. Try being from a low-earning family, I'm sure you take your house and it's contents for granted eh? What about not being able to afford a new cupboard for clothes? Or even the basic clothes in the first place? Things you take for granted like a decent tv, a nice kitchen, nice carpets and decorations, we don't have. I've worked since I was 15 and I not be put down for needed a higher loan. How on earth could I go to uni without it? Unlike you I don't have Daddy who could have paid your way? You forget that I'll have to work to pay off my £30,000 + debt where as you wont have to.

In this country you should either be poor or rich? What a ******* selfish statement is that?! Have you seen how good people struggle every day? When I was born my mother had to live on £40 a week!!!

You make me sick.

(Original post by King Pieb)
    My loan didn't cover my accomadation (which is a damned rip-off anyway) which meant I had to spend my savings to get myself through the year. Yet my parents still don't "give" me money, (I mean the odd twenty quid now and again when I'm short, doesn't count)
    are they supposed to?
    20 is nothing

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to me. My parents might as well not earn more when all their hard work is spent on giving me the same level of finance that the lower classes get for nothing. It's like you say, you may as well be uber rich or poor, everything in between is bs.

ReputationRep:
    I must say, I see where you're coming from.

Surprisingly being a triplet doesn't entitle me to much more money - and I think of my dad having to support THREE kids at university, and himself.

EMA pissed me off too, I wasn't entitled to any yet one of my friends (who is a friend, I'm not gonna slate him for his choices) was buying new computers and games consoles with his £30 a week - he didn't need to spend it on transport or equipment.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.

How is this fair.

I have to come up with £700 for my house by myself. Yet, the reason I don't recieve loans/grants is because my parents are supposed to help. They don't.
    I know what you mean. But the government thinks parents can spend all their money on their kids. Sometimes they have too many other things to pay for to do this though, sometimes they just don't want to. The government does not consider this and it would be far too difficult to work out who is going to get a loan or grant and who is not. After all, there are people who could not afford to go to university at all without loans. If I had a loan, I could choose to go where I want to. Not that I mind but I HAVE to live with my boyfriend OR parents which limits my university choices to only two. It sucks. But that's life, I guess. The loan is still good for poor families.

ReputationRep:
    I already do thanks. Have done for the last 5 years. The Government don't hand me money so I have to work for it.

Unfortunately, it won't cover my rent and my bills because apparently I'm rich.
    I had to work 5 months of the year + part time to fund my studies. Unfortunately the money my parents earnt was taken away in taxes so that the lower classes don't have to lift a finger. It really pisses me off when I see on the news that meritocracy is at an all time low, and that poor people are less likely to go to university now that tuition fees came in.

ReputationRep:
    It all has to be paid back anyway. Why can't we recieve equal amounts? It is a ridiculous presumption that are parents will support us.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.