Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fed up of getting ripped off by student loans because you're middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiBear)
    i clean people's butts as well as toilets and im middle class... :moon:
    Yes you do :p:

I might do that next year....

ReputationRep:
    Grants and bursaries should be scrapped.
    Everyone should be entitled to a loan that is significant enough to cover all costs of university, and then pay it back once you get a job.
    If you want a degree pay for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I'm not though. I don't want money to be taken away from helping poorer families into higher education. Quite the opposite actually. I would encourage many to progress into higher education.

All I am stating is that the Governments idea that students will be supported if their family is wealthy, is wrong.
    The situation would still end up being unequal. I think you're in the minority being middle class and not recieving support off parents and even if loans were increased I think a lot of middle class and upper class people would still recieve money off their parents whilst the lower class people would simple not have that. Part of the loans thing is to encourage people to go to university anyways, someone with a working class background is less likely to go to university than someone from a middle class family who has had older brothers or sisters or parents who have been the university so in that way a higher loan and grant would act as an incentive and that's part of their purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Yes you do :p:

I might do that next year....
    hahaha :p:
    do it. it makes you see life in a totally different way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsch)
    Having a TV and nice carpet at home doesn't effect his financial situation. He apparently doesn't have 'Daddy' because his father doesn't give him any money. He doesn't have any money because his parents don't fund him (just like yours don't fund you) and the government doesn't fund him (unlike your situation). In fact, most of what you said was completely beside the point, underclass warrior. If you're going to be so vitriolic then perhaps it should be suggested that your parents waited until they could afford wardrobes and carpets and other things contingent in the the up-keep of a house before having you. Why should more responsible parents be punished because yours couldn't pull their own weight?
    Read on through the rest of my posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Poor you having to work 16 hours part time. Try being from a low-earning family, I'm sure you take your house and it's contents for granted eh? What about not being able to afford a new cupboard for clothes? Or even the basic clothes in the first place? Things you take for granted like a decent tv, a nice kitchen, nice carpets and decorations, we don't have. I've worked since I was 15 and I not be put down for needed a higher loan. How on earth could I go to uni without it? Unlike you I don't have Daddy who could have paid your way? You forget that I'll have to work to pay off my £30,000 + debt where as you wont have to.

In this country you should either be poor or rich? What a ******* selfish statement is that?! Have you seen how good people struggle every day? When I was born my mother had to live on £40 a week!!!

You make me sick.
    What a load of bollox, i got low loan thing and im paying it back myself and had to work part-time to eat and am working full-time now to pay it back. No help or nothing.

Not everyone gets hand outs like you think in your warped head.

(Original post by imomo16)
    By demanding equal financial help for all students then yes, you are taking that money away. There is no way the government could provide the full loan and grant for every single student without either reducing that amount or limiting some students from higher education unless there are higher taxes, which I'm guessing most of the "poor off middle class kids" in this thread would object to as well.
    The Government would be able to afford it if they scrapped grants. They could increase loan amounts for everybody with the money saved from not giving out grants. I think most taxpayers would prefer such a system since it would mean that all the tax money that is put towards higher education is paid back, unlike under this scheme where the billions of pounds spent on grants each year are never paid back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiBear)
    hahaha :p:
    do it. it makes you see life in a totally different way
    Maybe, but I would rather receptionist work or taking bloods etc, more helpful long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    What a load of bollox, i got low loan thing and im paying it back myself and had to work part-time to eat and am working full-time now to pay it back. No help or nothing.

Yet again, read through the rest of my posts before commenting.

My point was : you have a security blanket whereas people like me don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)

I don't think you quite get it....

I do have a job. Unfortunately, all our hours have been cut right down. Last summer, I had two jobs and the Govt taxed me at 20% for the second job. That was nice of them.
    ARH! I do hate how they tax holiday work ... you need that money for the academic year ... duh!! It is infuriating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    Oh, hello

The cost of the degree will be the same in the sense that the tuition fees, accommodation, books etc will be the same. And since the interest rates on student loans are in line with inflation, it doesn't matter whether a student (say a working class student) paid for their degree through these loans or if a student (middle class) had their parents pay for it upfront. It will be the same - these aren't regular loans, hence the degree will cost the same.
    I think I've missed something somewhere, please point it out if you can. Sorry. :o:

You made a proposal to withdraw government grants, replacing them with extensions to current student loans. Suppose there are three categories of student expenses for which loans are offered: the first for tuition fees, the second for accommodation and the third for general maintenance; a student from a middle class family may well have the financial backing which would allow said student to opt out of category 3, reducing the cost of the loan for that student, whilst also under your plan, a student from a working class family will more likely have to opt for all 3 categories.

Perhaps I'm thinking about the cost specific to the student rather than the overall general cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    The Government would be able to afford it if they scrapped grants. They could increase loan amounts for everybody with the money saved from not giving out grants. I think most taxpayers would prefer such a system since it would mean that all the tax money that is put towards higher education is paid back, unlike under this scheme where the billions of pounds spent on grants each year are never paid back.
    The problem is that middle class and upper class parents would give money to their children and a large proportion would probably help them to pay off some of their debts. The middle class people in here saying their parents will NEVER help them are in the minority or have just not been in a situation where their parents would have to help them. And again, the incentive thing. Plus student debt is high enough. I think I'd rather work through university to support myself than come out with an even bigger debt than I'm going to have already. And also if debts aren't paid off by 50 they are cancelled out and if debts increased there would be no way everyone would be able to pay them off before 50 so the government might as well give the money away in the form of grants.

ReputationRep:
    Bite me.

All my friends have these who qualify for the maximum loan. At least your parents won't have to sell their assets when they retire to pay for their care? No, the nice people at Number 10 will take care of that for you.

Keep looking down your nose at the Middle Classes, everyone else does anyway. Sorry your life isn't perfect. I'll get my dad to earn another £5,000 to fix that for you.
    seriously, that won't happen. Make your parents put their assets in your name. Their care will then be paid for by their pension and the government. I feel sorry for people that didn't know about this and who have been totally screwed over by it.

Accountants and financial advisors are your friend.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    WTF?
    It's true. I was brought up on a council estate (although my parents were never really that poor and I am an only child as well) and only moved out in my mid teenage years. I now live in a middle/upper-middle class area and have really noticed the difference in work ethos.

ReputationRep:
    The gap between the richest and poorest (i.e. middle and working classes, in relative terms) is now 80:1, you're completely deluded if you believe £30 per week makes up for the total disparity between lifestyles and economic stability. You have mummy and daddy to pay for whatever you wish, be happy, some other people actually have to work hard (as well as receiving benefits) for what you get (which, ironically, you were born into, you didn't WORK for it, lucky you).

ReputationRep:
    My parents are refusing to give me anything for uni, but cause their income is above the boundary, Student Finance are giving me bare minimum.

My accommodation isn't even fully covered. =[ Plus I still need to buy everything and then there's general living costs. This is seriously pissing me off.

ReputationRep:
    The system is silly, it ***** me over royally anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I do have a job. Unfortunately, all our hours have been cut right down. Last summer, I had two jobs and the Govt taxed me at 20% for the second job. That was nice of them.
    claim it back!

ReputationRep:
    Same situation, except my parents genuinely can't afford to help me out. I'm a bit screwed, actually. Even if my firm accepts me it's looking possible that I'll have to switch to my insurance university, which is much more local but extremely low ratings-wise, and it doesn't offer what I want in the way of education. But hey, ho. It's that or nada.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.