Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fed up of getting ripped off by student loans because you're middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    are they supposed to?
    20 is nothing

Well, I'm working on the fact that the loans are income assessed, suggesting that yea they are.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, in part. It's stupid for the Government to assume that because your parents earn over a certain limit they give you money. I think for EMA its around £30,000 and above means you get zilch, which for two full time working parents isn't much, but let's not turn this into another EMA thread.

(Original post by Nick_000)
    I already do thanks. Have done for the last 5 years. The Government don't hand me money so I have to work for it.

Unfortunately, it won't cover my rent and my bills because apparently I'm rich.
    I am working full-time in the summer as a bartender, and that should cover my short-holes.
    I don't see why you can't have a summer job.

Exactly.

How is this fair.

I have to come up with £700 for my house by myself. Yet, the reason I don't recieve loans/grants is because my parents are supposed to help. They don't.
    There is the problem. Not the government.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

Everyone, who would give up their middle-class life to live here and get a larger student loan, put your hand up.

I know how you feel OP! EMA, grants, bursaries etc should all be scrapped. If you want higher education, invest in it like the rest of us. A particular degree (say for example Maths at Nottingham) will add the same value to the employability of any student - middle or working class; so why is it it's going to cost me £30,000 of debt but only £13,000 for my friend (who doesn't take out a maintenance loan 'cause she receives the full grant AND a bursary from the uni)? We're both going to have the same degree, why on earth should my parents' success mean that I have to pay fully for this and she doesn't? Why does this government insist on penalizing the successful?! Arghhhh. It's madness. :nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Poor you having to work 16 hours part time. Try being from a low-earning family, I'm sure you take your house and it's contents for granted eh? What about not being able to afford a new cupboard for clothes? Or even the basic clothes in the first place? Things you take for granted like a decent tv, a nice kitchen, nice carpets and decorations, we don't have. I've worked since I was 15 and I not be put down for needed a higher loan. How on earth could I go to uni without it? Unlike you I don't have Daddy who could have paid your way? You forget that I'll have to work to pay off my £30,000 + debt where as you wont have to.

In this country you should either be poor or rich? What a ******* selfish statement is that?! Have you seen how good people struggle every day? When I was born my mother had to live on £40 a week!!!

You make me sick.
    Bite me.

All my friends have these who qualify for the maximum loan. At least your parents won't have to sell their assets when they retire to pay for their care? No, the nice people at Number 10 will take care of that for you.

Keep looking down your nose at the Middle Classes, everyone else does anyway. Sorry your life isn't perfect. I'll get my dad to earn another £5,000 to fix that for you.

ReputationRep:
    I agree; it doesn't really make any sense for a loan to be judged on your parents' income. Seeing as everybody has to pay it back, everybody should be entitled to the same amount.

ReputationRep:
    The system is just so unfair. On my dads salary alone, I qualify for only the bare minimum loans available.

Yet, I have to pay for everything. My parents don't give me much. The system is designed so low earning families quailify for grants and higher loans whilst high earning families are supposed to support their kids through uni. It doesn't work like this though.

Its just such ********. Its another example of the working class getting everything at the expense of the middle class. In this country, you should either be poor or rich.

Its exactly the same with EMA. I went to a local school (no transport costs for anyone) that supplied us with all our equipment. Yet, some people we're getting £30 a week whilst I had to work 16 hours part time.

Its such ********. I would definitely rather be from a low earning family. At least then I might acutally be rich. Oh, the irony.

Rant over. Neg away because I don't subscribe to your views.
    Totally with you. I'm so screwed. I get no concession of student loans what so ever. And yet my parents will give me next to nothing (even though they could comfortably pay for my uni).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    I am working full-time in the summer as a bartender, and that should cover my short-holes.
    I don't see why you can't have a summer job.

There is the problem. Not the government.
    I do have a job. Unfortunately, all our hours have been cut right down. Last summer, I had two jobs and the Govt taxed me at 20% for the second job. That was nice of them.

ReputationRep:
    This is turning into some stupid argument. Its not about how you grew up or anything like that. Just because one person earns more than another doesnt mean their quality of life is better. YOu cant just assume the two match up.

People are complaining about the flaw in the system that leaves middle-class parents forced to pay the remaining amount for their child to go to uni. Most parents do and will - but some parents cant or wont. Does this mean their kids shouldnt go to uni?
    I thought the whole point of Student Loans was to make it more accessible for everyone - but this has left a massive flaw that many feel needs to be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    This argument fails to acknowledge the fact that for the entirety of your dependant life prior to leaving home, daddy probably bought you games consoles and ponies and driving lessons etc. I remember when I was at college and people moaned about not getting any support from the state, before jumping in the sports car they'd had bought for them for their birthday. The difference between coming from a family with money and a family without is huge. And I've no doubt that when you complain to your parents that you don't have the money to do the things your friends are doing, they hand over a couple of £20 notes. Yeah, thought so.

ReputationRep:
    What alternative do you suggest, give everyone a lower, but equal amount? I think that's even less fair - the system will never be 'fair'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Poor you having to work 16 hours part time. Try being from a low-earning family, I'm sure you take your house and it's contents for granted eh? What about not being able to afford a new cupboard for clothes? Or even the basic clothes in the first place? Things you take for granted like a decent tv, a nice kitchen, nice carpets and decorations, we don't have. I've worked since I was 15 and I not be put down for needed a higher loan. How on earth could I go to uni without it? Unlike you I don't have Daddy who could have paid your way? You forget that I'll have to work to pay off my £30,000 + debt where as you wont have to.

In this country you should either be poor or rich? What a ******* selfish statement is that?! Have you seen how good people struggle every day? When I was born my mother had to live on £40 a week!!!

You make me sick.
    This. Do you know how much people struggle in working class families? Being from one, sometimes it just feels totally dire.

The system is just so unfair. On my dads salary alone, I qualify for only the bare minimum loans available.

Yet, I have to pay for everything. My parents don't give me much. The system is designed so low earning families quailify for grants and higher loans whilst high earning families are supposed to support their kids through uni. It doesn't work like this though.

Its just such ********. Its another example of the working class getting everything at the expense of the middle class. In this country, you should either be poor or rich.

Its exactly the same with EMA. I went to a local school (no transport costs for anyone) that supplied us with all our equipment. Yet, some people we're getting £30 a week whilst I had to work 16 hours part time.

Its such ********. I would definitely rather be from a low earning family. At least then I might acutally be rich. Oh, the irony.

Rant over. Neg away because I don't subscribe to your views.
    Your parents don't give you much?
    How much is 'much'?

You want to be from a low earning family?
    How low?
    Terraced house or council flat?

I know plenty of people from high-middle income families who are not going to get support from their parents.

ReputationRep:
    I already do thanks. Have done for the last 5 years. The Government don't hand me money so I have to work for it.

Unfortunately, it won't cover my rent and my bills because apparently I'm rich.
    yes it is exactly the same for me. im so annoyed by it. all my friends have plenty of money to spend whereas i can only afford rent on the loans that i am given.
    grrrr!! im trying to find a second job atm to work over summer as my current job wont give me any extra hours.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the differences between being working class and middle can be simplified down to the amount of money received; having a bigger house, having more parental support, being able to take part in other activities etc. are all things richer people are more likely to have that £30 a week will never replace (I don't get EMA by the way)

ReputationRep:
    It's a hard life. Not to mention the fact it's been splashed all over the news how people from working-class backgrounds will probably never reach the top positions in any career they choose, because of the fact they're working class. & you're the one asking for a break? Please.

Also, this:

(Original post by fatal)

You make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    Bite me.

All my friends have these who qualify for the maximum loan. At least your parents won't have to sell their assets when they retire to pay for their care? No, the nice people at Number 10 will take care of that for you.

Keep looking down your nose at the Middle Classes, everyone else does anyway. Sorry your life isn't perfect. I'll get my dad to earn another £5,000 to fix that for you.
    HAHA ****.

You know what, you can go **** yourself because I'm not looking down at the "Middle Classes", I'm looking down at people like you who think they are so hard done by when you've never had to struggle for anything in your life. You can tell your daddy to go **** himself because happily I'll make that £5000 myself, pay back my loans and be a bigger asset to the country than you ever will be. You probably consider yourself "Middle class" but I'll bet you're as common as muck.

ReputationRep:
    It is not unfair. People who get the minimum loan, if it isn't enough, their parents will be able to help out. Wheras people from low-income families will not have this advantage.
    My mum is a single parent, a healthcare assistant, and I have a twin sister who is also in university, so without the highest loan, we'd be screwed basically. You have your parents to fall back on if you are in desperate help - we do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    This argument fails to acknowledge the fact that for the entirety of your dependant life prior to leaving home, daddy probably bought you games consoles and ponies and driving lessons etc. I remember when I was at college and people moaned about not getting any support from the state, before jumping in the sports car they'd had bought for them for their birthday. The difference between coming from a family with money and a family without is huge. And I've no doubt that when you complain to your parents that you don't have the money to do the things your friends are doing, they hand over a couple of £20 notes. Yeah, thought so.
    Firstly, thanks for the neg.

Secondly, no to everything you write. I do have a car. Unfortunately, its a £2,000 crud bucket that I paid for by myself. THis year, I have also paid for a £600 MOT, a £200 exhaust and around £400 in other repairs.

If I want money, I earn it. In my time, I have cleaned sick up in nightclub toilets, worked in a chocolate factory (not fun) and took a soul destroying job in a call centre to pay my way. Last summer I had 2 jobs, working around 40 hours a week.

I wish they would hand over £20 notes but they don't

Thanks for presuming you know everything about me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.