Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fed up of getting ripped off by student loans because you're middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    wow people are narrow minded!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    I agree; it doesn't really make any sense for a loan to be judged on your parents' income. Seeing as everybody has to pay it back, everybody should be entitled to the same amount.
    agreed.
    i think that everyone should have the same amount. i dont understand why parents' income is taking into account. surely you should be able to support yourself at the age of 18? we all have to pay rent, tuition fees etc so the fact one person gets more than the other i think is highly unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    This argument fails to acknowledge the fact that for the entirety of your dependant life prior to leaving home, daddy probably bought you games consoles and ponies and driving lessons etc. I remember when I was at college and people moaned about not getting any support from the state, before jumping in the sports car they'd had bought for them for their birthday. The difference between coming from a family with money and a family without is huge. And I've no doubt that when you complain to your parents that you don't have the money to do the things your friends are doing, they hand over a couple of £20 notes. Yeah, thought so.
    That doesn't sound like middle class, that sounds like upper class. Or do I belong to the working class now? I've paid for my driving lessons myself, I must admit that my mum always helped when I needed money for clothes but other than that, my possessions have always been quite basic I think. Why do you get so angry at his post? Having parents who earn more than your parents maybe doesn't make anyone a different person. You don't know anything about his life situation, yet you make generalising comments. Do you find yourself unfairly treated? I cannot see another reason for your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Bite me.

All my friends have these who qualify for the maximum loan. At least your parents won't have to sell their assets when they retire to pay for their care? No, the nice people at Number 10 will take care of that for you.

Keep looking down your nose at the Middle Classes, everyone else does anyway. Sorry your life isn't perfect. I'll get my dad to earn another £5,000 to fix that for you.
    Way to endear sympathy, you're a real gem.

ReputationRep:
    This argument fails to acknowledge the fact that for the entirety of your dependant life prior to leaving home, daddy probably bought you games consoles and ponies and driving lessons etc. I remember when I was at college and people moaned about not getting any support from the state, before jumping in the sports car they'd had bought for them for their birthday. The difference between coming from a family with money and a family without is huge. And I've no doubt that when you complain to your parents that you don't have the money to do the things your friends are doing, they hand over a couple of £20 notes. Yeah, thought so.
    Well, you see, the thing is that those people who were complaining were the people whose parents were PROVIDING the state support through tax. This is really the underlying issue. Middle-class parents are expected to pay for THEIR kids to go to uni because the government won't provide any support, and then they're expected to pay for other people's kids to go to via taxes.

This isn't separate magical money the government are coming up with. This is MY money, and my parents' money, and we have a right to feel a little pi**ed when the government turns the other way when we might feel the pinch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    HAHA ****.

You know what, you can go **** yourself because I'm not looking down at the "Middle Classes", I'm looking down at people like you who think they are so hard done by when you've never had to struggle for anything in your life. You can tell your daddy to go **** himself because happily I'll make that £5000 myself, pay back my loans and be a bigger asset to the country than you ever will be. You probably consider yourself "Middle class" but I'll bet you're as common as muck.
    Of course you will be darling.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a discussion about the flaws of the loan system, it's just you ranting about low income families, and claiming that your dad pays for everything we do. This is stupid, because my whole family works hard, it's just that their jobs pay less.

Anyway - being from a fairly poor background myself, I was always taught to never get into debt, which is why I work full-time, and study part-time. So I can earn my own money, and not whinge about how the govenment doesn't give me enough.

ReputationRep:
    I do have a car. Unfortunately, its a £2,000 crud bucket that I paid for by myself. T
    If you have enough spare money to afford to spend £2000 on a car, which, incidently is FAR more than most people your age can afford, you don't need money from the state. Perhaps you should spend some of your apparently sizeable earnings on supporting yourself, instead of expecting other people to do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    With top income studying in London I get a matinence loan of 4950... other people can get upto 6950. So they are pressuming the cost of living in London is another £2000 on top of what I have been given... Where am I supposed to get £2000 from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Valentine)
    Way to endear sympathy, you're a real gem.
    I think she set the tone rather aptly. I merely responded.

ReputationRep:
    hehe I get loads of grants for university :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    hehe I get loads of grants for university :awesome:
    Can I borrow? :p:

I wish I did.

ReputationRep:
    The system is just so unfair. On my dads salary alone, I qualify for only the bare minimum loans available.

Yet, I have to pay for everything. My parents don't give me much. The system is designed so low earning families quailify for grants and higher loans whilst high earning families are supposed to support their kids through uni. It doesn't work like this though.

Its just such ********. Its another example of the working class getting everything at the expense of the middle class. In this country, you should either be poor or rich.

Its exactly the same with EMA. I went to a local school (no transport costs for anyone) that supplied us with all our equipment. Yet, some people we're getting £30 a week whilst I had to work 16 hours part time.

Its such ********. I would definitely rather be from a low earning family. At least then I might acutally be rich. Oh, the irony.

Rant over. Neg away because I don't subscribe to your views.
    I have to agree with you! Due to my dads salary I get the minimum loan. Althoguh My mum doesn't work. Anyway, on top of daily living costs we have also the trouble of getting adapted equipment, and funilly enough attach disabled at the end you can be twice as much for an adapted room (ie when we went to a wedding).

I'm having to pay everything myself when I leave and its crap since my loan nowhere near covers my accommodation. I will need a job for when I'm at uni from the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Bite me.

All my friends have these who qualify for the maximum loan. At least your parents won't have to sell their assets when they retire to pay for their care? No, the nice people at Number 10 will take care of that for you.

Keep looking down your nose at the Middle Classes, everyone else does anyway. Sorry your life isn't perfect. I'll get my dad to earn another £5,000 to fix that for you.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Of course you will be darling.

What exactly is there to say I won't be? :rolleyes:

But thanks for agreeing :yes: God forbid you crash the car Daddy bought you and you're brought into my A&E

ReputationRep:
    If you have enough spare money to afford to spend £2000 on a car, which, incidently is FAR more than most people your age can afford, you don't need money from the state. Perhaps you should spend some of your apparently sizeable earnings on supporting yourself, instead of expecting other people to do it for you.
    Perhaps you missed the bit where I explained how I afforded that car?

I have never found myself in a similar situation to this year. My hours have been cut right down at work otherwise I would gladly be working.

ReputationRep:
    Labour milk the middle classes, to bribe the working classes for their votes.

ReputationRep:
    This might be a pretty stupid question but I am not from the UK. Do your parents not HAVE to pay? I know that in Germany they calculate how much money you need per months, then see how much money your parents can afford and you then get the rest as a loan.
    Not that it actually works, they told me I could survive on 350 pound per month when uni accomodation was 320 but you know, they tell you the exact ampunt of money your parents have to pay till you are done with your education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    What exactly is there to say I won't be? :rolleyes:

But thanks for agreeing :yes: God forbid you crash the car Daddy bought you and you're brought into my A&E
    Hi,

I already explained to buy my car I cleaned up sick and literally wiped **** off a toilet floor. Daddy didn't pay for it.

You do have a warped view of the people who are high earners. Perhaps you have been watching too much of The OC?

Oh, I don't have a beach house either.

(Original post by sophyy)
    I thought the whole point of Student Loans was to make it more accessible for everyone - but this has left a massive flaw that many feel needs to be sorted.
    Totally agree. Everyone knows a student receiving the minimum loan (c.£3.5k) can't live off that for a year; with rent, bills, food, etc. to pay. And surely the Gvmnt knows that not everyobody whose parents' total income comes to £50k+ is going to be supported financially through uni. Especially in families where this income is for a family of 5 or 6 to live on. So why aren't politicians interested in extending their 'making education more accesible' philosophy to these middle class families (of which there are many)? I don't see how being from a poor background should give you the right to a heavily subsidised education. Furthermore, what's with capping tuition fees?! I see higher education as a commodity which should be 'traded' freely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.