Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fed up of getting ripped off by student loans because you're middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm technically middle class but I still get a fairly substantial loan and a bit of a grant :dontknow: Maybe your dad earns more comparatively than you think.

ReputationRep:
    One of the main problems with this thread is that some people are just turning it into an argument for the sake of ranting.

The point the OP is trying to make, in my opinion, is that the government is at fault by making (in some cases) a wrong assumption that parents of middle to high-income families will automatically pay their kids' ways through uni; and considering it's a Student LOAN, which has to be paid back anyway, everyone should be entitled to the full amount, whether they choose to have it or not, because not everyone's circumstances are the same.

And to those of you who disagree with what the OP is saying, please refrain from comments about 'daddy paying for ponies and games consoles and cars' because for a lot of middle to high-income families.. it's not like that. Believe it or not, we're not all spoilt brats who demand to have everything paid for them. Some of us like to earn our money.

Meh. Yes, your parents will encourage independence (and let's be honest, how rigid will they be with "you must pay for everything"?) and want to keep their money for themselves, but if you were stuck for money - and really stuck; all sources had evaporated - your parents will not keep to their financial principles and let their son "starve" (or whatever), they'll provide assistance, which will not seriously impact their qualify of life (or at least, they won't be plunged into "poverty"). Whereas for students with minimal family incomes, there is not this safety barrier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    I'm technically middle class but I still get a fairly substantial loan and a bit of a grant :dontknow: Maybe your dad earns more comparatively than you think.
    He earns £50,000 +

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    He earns £50,000 +
    Yeah, that's really quite a lot :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    One of the main problems with this thread is that some people are just turning it into an argument for the sake of ranting.

The point the OP is trying to make, in my opinion, is that the government is at fault by making (in some cases) a wrong assumption that parents of middle to high-income families will automatically pay their kids' ways through uni; and considering it's a Student LOAN, which has to be paid back anyway, everyone should be entitled to the full amount, whether they choose to have it or not, because not everyone's circumstances are the same.

And to those of you who disagree with what the OP is saying, please refrain from comments about 'daddy paying for ponies and games consoles and cars' because for a lot of middle to high-income families.. it's not like that.
    I agree, some people just posts stuff without actually reading.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's really quite a lot :o:
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Meh. Yes, your parents will encourage independence (and let's be honest, how rigid will they be with "you must pay for everything"?) and want to keep their money for themselves, but if you were stuck for money - and really stuck; all sources had evaporated - your parents will not keep to their financial principles and let their son "starve" (or whatever), they'll provide assistance, which will not seriously impact their qualify of life (or at least, they won't be plunged into "poverty"). Whereas for students with minimal family incomes, there is not this safety barrier.
    Perhaps.

Although, I have asked for them to pay my bond whilst I am struggling to work. Alas, this hasn't been fruitful. My future housemates have this taken care of though through loans.

Nice for them :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    Totally agree. Everyone knows a student receiving the minimum loan (c.£3.5k) can't live off that for a year; with rent, bills, food, etc. to pay. And surely the Gvmnt knows that not everyobody whose parents' total income comes to £50k+ is going to be supported financially through uni. Especially in families where this income is for a family of 5 or 6 to live on. So why aren't politicians interested in extending their 'making education more accesible' philosophy to these middle class families (of which there are many)? I don't see how being from a poor background should give you the right to a heavily subsidised education. Furthermore, what's with capping tuition fees?! I see higher education as a commodity which should be 'traded' freely.
    yeah i agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)

And to those of you who disagree with what the OP is saying, please refrain from comments about 'daddy paying for ponies and games consoles and cars' because for a lot of middle to high-income families.. it's not like that.
    Thank you for speaking common sense! :kissing2:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I already explained to buy my car I cleaned up sick and literally wiped **** off a toilet floor. Daddy didn't pay for it.

You do have a warped view of the people who are high earners. Perhaps you have been watching too much of The OC?

Oh, I don't have a beach house either.
    No I don't because I went to a grammar school in my area with a lot of middle upper class students. Its just when people like you ***** about the system knowing full well that there are people like me who depend on it. Would you rather I didn't go to university? Or do rich people only deserve a degree? Who cares if you wiped **** off floors? The end of it is that you have to do it, do you see loads of threads on this forums from working class *****ing about work they need to do to survive? NO. So strap on a pair and be happy with the cards you've been dealt in life because it could have been so much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Really?
    I think so, anyway.
    My family "only" earns around 35k p/a and we live in a nice area, with a semi detached house on a tiny mortgage, two cars... So having 50k a year seems like quite a lot to me.
    Also I'd like to add that just because I'm getting a larger loan and grant it doesn't mean I'm going to be living in the lap of luxury- it will only cover the most basic accommodation and food, I'm still going to have to work if I want to have things beyond the basics. I could understand where Nick's coming from more if the full loan was absolutely enormous and allowed poorer students to live the life of riley compared to people with a smaller loan, but it really doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Also there is nothing about if you have older siblings already at uni or a twin entering at the same time as you. Surely that's more finacial strain - and should be taken into account FOR EVERYONE.

ReputationRep:
    He earns £50,000 +

Yet another difference. My household income a year is £12000. My fees being £3000 and my rent being £3600, then money to live on... well you can see where this is going.

ReputationRep:
    I got the £30 EMA at college and now I get help for uni but do we have a nicely mortgaged house? A car? Two parents? An income big enough to pay the bills? No, no ,no, no.

So would you like to swap and be working class and get that pittance from the government?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    No I don't because I went to a grammar school in my area with a lot of middle upper class students. Its just when people like you ***** about the system knowing full well that there are people like me who depend on it. Would you rather I didn't go to university? Or do rich people only deserve a degree? Who cares if you wiped **** off floors? The end of it is that you have to do it, do you see loads of threads on this forums from working class *****ing about work they need to do to survive? NO. So strap on a pair and be happy with the cards you've been dealt in life because it could have been so much worse.
    No, I would rather we both be able to afford our way from uni. I would hate for people to be deterred from pursuing education because they couldn't afford it. I'm happy that you are able to pursue your dream of being a medic and I wish you every luck.

I'm not a bad guy. Trust me

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I have 2 brothers as well.

Another factor not considered.

ReputationRep:
    £50,000 a year is well inside the top 10%. £58,000 is inside the top 5%. So yes, 50,000 is a very high salary.

ReputationRep:
    Fatal. It does depend on different circumstances though.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, anyway.
    My family "only" earns around 35k p/a and we live in a nice area, with a semi detached house on a tiny mortgage, two cars... So having 50k a year seems like quite a lot to me.
    That sounds like our family and we earn around three times that money Oh and we only have one car.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.