Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fed up of getting ripped off by student loans because you're middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh, the middle classes, how they suffer. Weep, weep, weep. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    All I'm going to say is this -

From the end of August, I will be living away from home. I won't have much contact with them. It will be me on my own, with my small loan, working to pay for my rent whilst my housemates (who all apart from one get the maximum by the way) get big loans and grants.

I will no longer be middle class. I will struggle for money but I will make it through whilst others don't suffer these hardships. If you think this is fair then that is your opinion.

I'm not some ass who says that poor people should not be allowed to go to uni. I would encourage anyone to further their education I would however, like a system that is fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Why should that make any difference? Everyone has to pay the loan back eventually, so why not just give the same amount to everyone?

Everyone family's circumstances are different. Yes, some families will be able to support their children through university. Others won't, despite earning over the threshold. Those students are then unfairly disadvantaged by the system.
    people who are below the threshold pay back different amounts of the loan and the rest is in the form of a grant so that doesnt have to be paid back. so the worse off are those whose parents earn between 30-50k as they will end up paying more back after uni.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_174046

ReputationRep:
    It would be a perfect world if everyone could get the money they need, but how to go about that I've no idea...

Strap Darling to a chair and force feed him tescos value noodles?

ReputationRep:
    No 72% is no means tested... but still it makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    See post 102 by me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Im totally with you on this, I work 10 hours a week during term time and 22 during holidays when my friends get £30 a week plus a bonus at Christmas just for going to school :| x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    You don't get any loan at all? Okay, that I disagree with.
    No I don't because I've not been a resident of the UK for at least 3 years. I'd only get a loan for a foreign university in Germany if my parents earned like 15-20k together. Aah well, never mind. I don't want to complain too much, my life situation isn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)

From the end of August, I will be living away from home. I won't have much contact with them. It will be me on my own, with my small loan, working to pay for my rent whilst my housemates (who all apart from one get the maximum by the way) get big loans and grants.

I will no longer be middle class. I will struggle for money but I will make it through whilst others don't suffer these hardships. If you think this is fair then that is your opinion.

I'm not some ass who says that poor people should not be allowed to go to uni. I would encourage anyone to further their education I would however, like a system that is fair.
    Vote Conservative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)

Everyone, who would give up their middle-class life to live here and get a larger student loan, put your hand up.
    This.

The system of bursaries and loans definitely isn't flawless, but I think you ought to get your head out of the metaphorical middle class sand and realise what life is actually like. Your implication that you'd be better off poor than middle class is stupid and offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    It would be a perfect world if everyone could get the money they need, but how to go about that I've no idea...

Strap Darling to a chair and force feed him tescos value noodles?
    Perhaps. it would certainly be funny

(Original post by la fille danse)
    Presumably, because the government does not have an unlimited amount of money to give out, and most people would not fancy paying higher taxes so some kids can get bigger loans.
    And people are happy having their taxes spent on subsidising optional higher education for other people's kids? I think grants should be scrapped to fund a scheme where students can borrow more money but receive no grant. That way the same degree will cost the same to a student from any background. That's fairness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    No I don't because I've not been a resident of the UK for at least 3 years. I'd only get a loan for a foreign university in Germany if my parents earned like 15-20k together. Aah well, never mind. I don't want to complain too much, my life situation isn't that bad.
    Hmm, well that's slightly different. It might not be fair, but I guess home students should get priority.

ReputationRep:
    See post 102 by me.
    If your parents are earning over £30k and won't donate any to you, that seems to be a failing with them rather than the government. :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feral Beast)
    Vote Conservative.
    I certainly will be doing!

ReputationRep:

I must say I'm better off as a student than I am at home. Being at home for three months is killing me, I'm about £400 in the red because I have to pay rent through the summer in Glasgow as well as living expenses (food etc) at home because my mum can't afford to keep me. I know you aren't a bad person but I wish I had the security net of a father who earned £50,000+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    See in my world, loans would be related to how much your degree was worth to society.

People who use their degrees to do medicine, law, teaching, paramedicing, nursing etc could get more than those who do film studies and other such degrees.

While the argument here may have several flaws, it would mean that there was more money to go around, and that people with degrees wouldn't find that the only jobs they could get would be stacking shelves, thus making the job market more accessible to all

- but that is kinda off topic and a very different argument
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Exactly, the system is a sham. I got the very bare minimum loan, no grants or bursaries or anything because apparently my parents are quite well off. But what's debatable is whether they were going to help me financially at university. If they didn't and I was expected to pay my own rent then there is no question about it: I could not have gone to university unless I worked a sizeable portion of the week. I get less than 100 and my rent was more than three times that much. This year it's going up to just over 400 a month. And that's just rent, no living costs.

Whereas people from poorer families, who are often the laziest work dodgers you'll ever meet, not only get the full amount in their student loan but also get a **** ton of grants and bursaries - which don't have to be paid back.

I've never met or heard of a poor hard working person and yes I could have survived at uni if I was to work hard but then I would have had no social life; it would have been go to lectures, go to tutorials, go to work, sleep. But the people from poorer families could easily afford their rent, food and social activities without having to work. Gotta do what you gotta do for your education but it's not fair that I am being punished because my parents have worked damned hard so I can have a good upbringing.

Granted, they will have much more debt coming out of uni than me (the above was hypothetical and yes my dad did end up paying just about everything for me; the loan was only comfort money to spend on steaks and expensive jackets) but, going against the assumption that my parents were to help me out financially, they'd have a much easier financial ride through uni than me. All because my parents are supposedly well off. I am an only child and come from a town where property is very cheap compared to the city I go to uni in or the rest of the country, which also helps in my favour, but I can see why middle class families are pissed off when most of them have at least two children and no doubt have much bigger mortgages and find out that the government is punishing them for their success by making it more difficult for their kids to go to uni.

It should be on an individual basis and students from 'well off' families who do not want to be forced to suck off their parents teat should be allowed a much bigger loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    Hmm, well that's slightly different. It might not be fair, but I guess home students should get priority.
    Yes, you're right. I mean I understand their fear of giving money to an immigrant and then never getting it back again. However I would like my own country to support me but that's a different matter and has nothing to do with the main argument. I fully support the OP's opinion though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.