Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fed up of getting ripped off by student loans because you're middle class? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    You might find that you haven't met enough poor people.
    I've met plenty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)

I don't consider it an obligation, I just consider it to be a natural thing to want to help one's child(ren).

Also, if someone earns over £30k and doesn't have spare cash, they should seriously reappraise their purchasing.
    Exactly. If you're parents refuse to help you out when they can easily afford to, then it's really them you should be *****ing about and not the government. The government hasn't got limitless money, so it should go to the families who need it most. Those earning 50k+ do not need it, and basically if they're not willing to spend the money they earn what's the point in even having it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    This is ********. I know of no middle-middle class families (which is who this system really screws up) who pay their childs university debts off for them. Im going to end up with more debt than someone whos family earns less.

At the end of the day just because thats what your parents income is you shouldnt be penalized for it like many people are at the moment. Everyone should get the same loan and same support from the government (to make it affordable for all) then have to pay it back themselves when their working.

As for 40 quid a week, that was X number of years ago. Right now you get more than that for not having a job...
    It's about £90 a week now. I think that all the media coverage about benefits has actually skewed how much people get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    Exactly. If you're parents refuse to help you out when they can easily afford to, then it's really them you should be *****ing about and not the government. The government hasn't got limitless money, so it should go to the families who need it most. Those earning 50k+ do not need it, and basically if they're not willing to spend the money they earn what's the point in even having it?
    Looking at some of the expenses claims, I beg to differ.

ReputationRep:
    The government hasn't got limitless money
    The government has limited money because it pissed it down the drain in the first place with the failed ID cards system, databases which fell through etc.

So the government (and it's misconcepted views) is at heart of the problem

ReputationRep:
    That is one of the most backwards opinions I have ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest this only makes me angry when I see some people on my course spending all their grants/bursaries/loans on alcohol etc. and then complaining :mad:

At the end of the day I am lucky enough to have parents who can afford to help me. But they could have just as easily refused to help me, leaving me to get into debt.

If the government really want to detach parents from any financial responsibility, they would give everyone (whatever their background) the exact same amount of financial help. :yes:

The way the system is now, the government expects parents to help. Unfortunately not all parents are as willing to help as others. Some have many children, or mortgages to pay off, and other things to spend their money on, which the government does not take into account. Some have no idea how the system works. I had to explain to my parents 'Look, I'm getting less money because you earn more'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    It's about £90 a week now. I think that all the media coverage about benefits has actually skewed how much people get.
    90/week for a single person living on their own not paying a mortgage. 200 and a bit for a single parent with a child I seem to remember when I looked into this a while ago.

Fact is trying to make something equal by giving some an advantage is a stupid system. Why not just treat all university applicants the same, give them the same loan and same grants and make them pay it back themselves when their working? That makes much more sense than the current system because, to be honest as a student it is more beneficial to be from a lower income background. You talk about how bad it is but all the houses of my friends who are are 30 pound/week EMA are quite nice and nothing like the picture your making out.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with this. If you're parents don't want to give you money when you need it (and I refuse to believe that a family oon £40,000 + would be unwilling to give money to child who is desperately in need and on the verge of dropping out of university due to financial issues) then they're the ones who have got issues. Take it up with them, it's not the governments fault your parents are stingy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    The cash comes from no one but us. If you want them to spend more, be prepared to be taxed more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnbrown)
    It's not the governments fault your parents are stingy.
    And how is it also mine though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    90/week for a single person living on their own not paying a mortgage. 200 and a bit for a single parent with a child I seem to remember when I looked into this a while ago.

Fact is trying to make something equal by giving some an advantage is a stupid system. Why not just treat all university applicants the same, give them the same loan and same grants and make them pay it back themselves when their working? That makes much more sense than the current system because, to be honest as a student it is more beneficial to be from a lower income background. You talk about how bad it is but all the houses of my friends who are are 30 pound/week EMA are quite nice and nothing like the picture your making out.
    People in council accomodation still have the pay rent, albeit it's lower. It's not easy at all living on benefits, especially if you have children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    To be honest this only makes me angry when I see some people on my course spending all their grants/bursaries/loans on alcohol etc. and then complaining :mad:

At the end of the day I am lucky enough to have parents who can afford to help me. But they could have just as easily refused to help me, leaving me to get into debt.

If the government really want to detach parents from any financial responsibility, they would give everyone (whatever their background) the exact same amount of financial help. :yes:

The way the system is now, the government expects parents to help. Unfortunately not all parents are as willing to help as others. Some have many children, or mortgages to pay off, and other things to spend their money on, which the government does not take into account. Some have no idea how the system works. I had to explain to my parents 'Look, I'm getting less money because you earn more'.
    That is so stupid because then there would be no need for EMA. EMA is so that the less well off people don't give up education in order to earn money. So why would they then give it to people who are richer and can afford to stay in school?

You no doubt live in a better area than I do and have more stuff in your house. So why are you moaning?

ReputationRep:
    Also, I feel bad asking for money from my parents. These guys have been great and supported me through a lot of stupid mistakes I have made.

My dad, was working full time as soon as he was 16 and has worked hard throughout his life. I guess he doesn't see why any 22 year old should rely on their parents. He has a point too you know.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe why a parent earning over £45k would refuse to fund their child at university. It probably costs about £10k to fund one child a year for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophyy)
    That is one of the most backwards opinions I have ever heard.
    :rofl: Backwards adjective Pertaining to conflict with the received opinion of TSR user "sophyy".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    The BBC executives' claims totaled £800,000, and while I agree its shocking and disgraceful, etc. It really isn't that much compared to the rest of the budget. If the government had enough money to shore the entire population regardless of income through higher education we'd all be a lot worse off from the taxation anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)

What, so a lad from a single-parent family, who's mam earns 18K a year should have the same amount of help as someone whose dad earns over 50K? or 70K? or !00k?

EERRRRRMMMMM NO!

Wow some people here really are as thick as two short planks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    The cash comes from no one but us. If you want them to spend more, be prepared to be taxed more.
    Giving the govenrment more money to spend doesn't do anything as they'd find another way to waste it.

If you want them to spend in a controlled manner than use your vote in the ballot box. Pushing billions (we're not talking about pennies here) into frankly uneeded schemes is simply stupid.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Parents have no obligation to financially help their children once they reach 18.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.