Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My best friend tex me today saying she got a job which pays £14,000 a year she doesnt have any A-levels and just GCSEs. I have done my A-levels waiting for results (fingers crossed) to do a degree at a top 30 Uni it was 21 last year but when I got there I decided I didnt care about league tables because it was perfect. However it is just annoying that I have done 2 years at College to then do 4 years and Uni and she is earning £14,000 now. Whereas my cousins girlfriend just got a job after Uni for £20,000 and year and that is only a £6,000 difference after all that hard work. I just think that she left College with nothing and is earning a fair wage against people who go to Uni and earn similar I think those who go to Uni should get better money after Uni. I am happy for my best friend but it does bug me right at the back behind the smile.

ReputationRep:
    The more you work, the higher your salaries go up. But at the end of the day, the graduate's chances of making more than a non-graduate is still high.

ReputationRep:
    Are you taking on university just to get a well-paid job? What kind of job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Are you taking on university just to get a well-paid job? What kind of job?

Im not going to University just for a well paid job I have always wanted to go to University however I just think its annoying that I will have to pay so much to go to University and somebody who I must tell you never ever worked very hard at school is getting a good job and its more that she didnt do anything to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound harsh, but she'll probably never increase that £14k to more than about £25k-ish; whereas graduates can often progress to a lot higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickialice)
    Im not going to University just for a well paid job I have always wanted to go to University however I just think its annoying that I will have to pay so much to go to University and somebody who I must tell you never ever worked very hard at school is getting a good job and its more that she didnt do anything to get it.
    So it just bothers you that she's earning? Do what YOU want to do; don't worry about others. If you're attending university for more than high pay, keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    So it just bothers you that she's earning?

I agree with that to some extent because she never worked very hard but its just worrying about paying back loans but I agree that I am going for more than on reason and I will still go to uni if I get the right grade. I think what bugs me more is that my University is not the best so a bit worrying

ReputationRep:
    Your friend might be earning a relatively high amount now, but I believe her chances of promotion or payrises are low compared to someone who went into FE or Uni. What kind of job is she doing? Is it satisfying? Is it creative or helpful to the human race? £14k isn't THAT high. You can't get a mortage with that. But with £20k you can.

You might come out of University with a ridiculously high salary. In ten years' time, you might be on twice as much as your friend due to the fact you've got a degree.

However, if you are going to Uni just for the sake of getting a good salary, my advice is don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    It is as a junior executive in an advertising company

ReputationRep:
    I did A-levels, and got into uni, where I am now.

My brother got expelled from school, only got 2 A-levels, and went to work as a waiter, now 3 years later he is earning £28K a year, more than I will when I graduate.

Lifes a *****, get over it and do what makes you happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    I did A-levels, and got into uni, where I am now.

My brother got expelled from school, only got 2 A-levels, and went to work as a waiter, now 3 years later he is earning £28K a year, more than I will when I graduate.

Lifes a *****, get over it and do what makes you happy.
    Just out of interest, what does your brother do?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that to some extent because she never worked very hard but its just worrying about paying back loans but I agree that I am going for more than on reason and I will still go to uni if I get the right grade. I think what bugs me more is that my University is not the best so a bit worrying
    It's about doing what YOU want to do, and what YOU enjoy though. Personally, I went to a 'low' university, but I did so because it was the perfect one for me, and let me do the perfect course for me. I'm now in an ideal job, earning the same amount as your friend; but with three incredible years of incredible university experience behind me, and everything that entails.

ReputationRep:
    My friend's brother didn't go to University, he's earning 45k a year as a driving instructer, it's not all bad. Then again he did spend a solid 2 years actually doing the work for that but it's alright since he's self employed which is a big plus.

ReputationRep:
    A minute ago you said that your university is perfect for you. If that's the case, your university IS the best. There's so many benefits to going to University that she'll never experience because she couldn't work for it & if she dropped out of college and didn't work hard at school, then her attitude to work isn't going to get her much further than £14,000 a year.

ReputationRep:
    After my GCSE's and AS-levels, I got accepted onto a training scheme earning £15,000 at 17 and it would keep rising up to graduate level and then any job I apply for in the company. However, I left because I want to go to uni and get a degree and maybe a phD after. As a result, I'm starting a HND this year and then want to top it up to a full degree!

IMO, degrees are becoming less and less valuable, but I want to be the first one in my family to go to uni and get a degree. Oh, and dont underestimate the hard work people put into jobs to earn their wage packets. When some people get a degree, they believe that they should be automatically promoted to head of the company straight away and then they realise actually how little knowledge they have of the real world.

I believe that you should go to uni to study a subject that really interests you and you enjoy, regardless of the benefits after!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Just out of interest, what does your brother do?
    He is a restaurant manager.

ReputationRep:
    It is as a junior executive in an advertising company
    Telesales in other words. Cold-calling people all day. I've done it and hated it. Believe me, it's not for everyone.

What others have said though is right. Some people can earn shedloads without going to Uni. It's more about the life-enriching experience of going to Uni itself that is worth the money and effort.

I left college and decided not to go to Uni because I didn't want to get into debt. I've just done rubbish job after rubbish job. Sure, I had alright money, but I loathed the work itself and I was getting really down about it. So, here I am, 23, grabbing life by the horns and off to one of the lowest Unis in the league table in September. I honestly can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    If you earn 20,000 and she earns 14,000, after 40 years (by the time you retire-ish), you'll have earnt nearly quarter of a million more than her. I know this number isn't at all scientific, not counting taxes or inflation, but I'd have thought you'd be more likely to earn more than 20,000, while she might never get off 14,000.

That made more sense in my head

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, you'll make more money. That if you work hard, maybe get more qualifications. If this were not true, then why would everyone be flocking to get into universities? Plus, no matter what subject degree you'll get, the job opportunities are in a far greater range than if you don't even have A levels.

ReputationRep:
    £14k is not very much money at all. It's great for someone at this age, sure, but wait until your mate has kids and a mortgate to worry about..£14k is just more than a grand a month. Most of my mates didn't go to uni and are earning between about 12 and 18 grand a year, but they are living at home atm so it just feels like they have loads of money, but when they have to move out etc, it won't be very much.

However, for me the main thing about going to uni is being able to get a job that I want to do. I don't want to just go out and find any old job. Uni allows you to do what you want to do. Also, you're much more likely to be able to get a career if you go to uni, rather that just a job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.