Turn on thread page Beta

4 years of Uni against £14,000 watch

ReputationRep:
    Well the living at home is another annoying thing her mum is moving in with her boyfriend next year and is giving her the house with no morgage because her mum got it from her mum so she gets a free house. It just feels like some people get things handed to them on a plate
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vickialice)
    £14,000 now. Whereas my cousins girlfriend just got a job after Uni for £20,000 and year and that is only a £6,000 difference after all that hard work.
    42% more is nothing to you? Or £270,000 over the course of a career?

University is probably not for you if all you care about is making £14,000 a year.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are a few things you should keep in mind.

1) As other posters have noted your potential earnings may well be higher as a graduate.
    2) Graduate work is often (but not necessarily) more intellectually fulfilling than non-graduate work. This is as important as financial work, as realistically doing something boring for high pay is only for the very financially motivated.
    3) Whether she originally worked hard or not is not really the point; her employer believes she is worth £14,000 a year and if that remains true then everything is fine.

ReputationRep:
    I just quit a 15k job (first job as well) to go back to university this year. The money's good so long as you don't have anything to pay out for. Luckily I lived with parents while I was working so most of the wage was mine to go crazy on. The job I was doing wasn't worth the money in the end though, I absolutely hated it. I'm going back to university to at least be in with a chance of going into the field I want in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I had a 15-16k job and hated it. Decided to leave it and go to uni. I've got less money at uni but the money that i have is better spent in the sense that i go to a variety of different places and have met alot of different people. When i was working and living at home it would always be the same old weekend at the same pubs doing the same ****. The experience of uni is definitely worth it. Also i much prefer going to lectures than doing the repetitive **** at work.

Add to this the fact that if you work hard you might be able to get onto a graduate training scheme that starts higher than 14k and increases faster than the 14k job probably does. The job i had would probably have led nowhere. You would have to literally wait for someone to die to get promoted or move to a different role in the same company for not much more money. It always felt like there was a glass ceiling in the sense that you can work up to say a shift manager, but you can't ever get into the strategy side or higher management roles without a degree.

Don't worry about it, you'll have a much better time at uni and better prospects after.

ReputationRep:
    This thread reminds me of the hare and the tortoise parable. While the hare in the race got of to a great flying start it soon ran out of steam and the 'slow' tortoise won the race.
    Your friend maybe earning what seems like 'big money' but I think that she will be lucky to ever exceed 20,000-25,000 pa.
    The ' I know someone who never went to university and is earning £££££' are very much like those tales of grandfathers who smoked heavily since the age of 9 and died 99 and ran marathons all their lives.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need education to become successful but it helps.

ReputationRep:
    i think this is great, people need to be more aware of these opportunities stop so many people going to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be going to uni just for the wage at the end of the day.

The way I see it, you might end up in a 14k job after you graduate anyway, you might end up unemployed for health reasons, you might never finish your course due to force majeure, who knows what might happen. Go to uni because you are studying a subject you love, you will get three years of amazing memories and statistically, it is probably going to benefit you. Thats an amazing situation to be in, why get upset because some people get lucky without a degree?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.