Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christie-k)
    Wow, have u lived in Paris for a year? Your french must be really good...I hope everyone is not as good as u in french:/...anyway, I LOVE Paris, I'm so jealous of u going there
    Well, I have been to England many times but I'm not really used to living alone abroad...I suppose it's gonna be difficult at first but I hope I'll like it and meet many friends...maybe we will become friends, who knows ) So, as I said, I'm little scared but really excited about the whole experience...
    As for accommodation, I've put Elgar then Mason and then Shackleton...how about u? I hope I'll find out soon about where they're gonna put me.
    Yeah, as an au pair. And well it's okay but I still have tonnes to learn and my grammar's still not that great at all; it's mainly my comprehension which has improved lots. I wasn't that good to start with though so hopefully I'll be just the same as everyone else now.
    Living alone abroad was a massive change but I think as long as you have lots of people around you and keep busy it's really all good. The only times I've found really hard were when I didn't have much to do or lots of people to see. It will be so good though.
    Your english is amazing btw, is it your first language?
    I've put entirely different accom; I found the vale so expensive that I've gone for pritchatts and oakley and then tennis too though I think, and I preferred the idea of living with big groups of people. I hope I still live with lots of good people though because most freshers seem to want to be on the vale. Kinda wish I could change my choices now! Hopefully I'll find out this week where I'm going.
    And yess, if we have some french together that would be really cool; I soo want to start meeting lots of people and making friends now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied to do french aswell!but with english language.
    Getting more and more excted now, really wish I could know my results now though!

ReputationRep:
    Its likely that 2 other fairly big DJs will be there but I can't reveal them yet.

Don't know how it'll effect pricing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoBecks)
    Its likely that 2 other fairly big DJs will be there but I can't reveal them yet.

So will prices raise when their names go officially on the bill??

ReputationRep:

Would you recommend buying freshers tickets now, before freshers (even though we dont know what packages friends have bought)? If so, which one would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsie)
    So will prices raise when their names go officially on the bill??
    I doubt they will, its just two DJ's for one of the main nights in the package, I'm 90% sure it won't now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Would you recommend buying freshers tickets now, before freshers (even though we dont know what packages friends have bought)? If so, which one would you recommend?
    Put it this way - I didn't buy the Ball last year, most of my mates went, I missed out I felt.

Firstly, buy them if you're confident of your results.

As for the packages - well I wouldn't worry about who your mates buy. Freshers is all about being massively sociable and making mates, I was late into some events so just got chatting to people in the queue, first weeks of Uni are just like that. You'll meet someone with your package, if not your entire flat - also, if you don't want to go you can sell on the ticket at the time, whereas if you don't have it you're scouring round for a spare one if you don't want to miss out. It's nice to just arrive at Uni and have everything sorted.

It's up to your taste for the packages. I ******* love Inbetweeners, if I was a first year I'd deffo get the Will night, think he's bringing Simon along too. Harris and NDubz will be great events but there's like 7/8 club nights in the main package, including one with 4000 freshers (most nights have half the freshers as the clubs simply aren't big enough - this night is where the two unconfirmed DJ's are - I'll post here once they're official), so you won't be buying a crap package with the standard one, far from it. Its simply how much you want to live it up in them two weeks!

I face 2 problems while booking the freshers fest tickets.

1) I dont have a UK contact phone number yet

2) My home address is in Sweden, and they require a UK-specific postcode

Can anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way - I didn't buy the Ball last year, most of my mates went, I missed out I felt.

Firstly, buy them if you're confident of your results.

As for the packages - well I wouldn't worry about who your mates buy. Freshers is all about being massively sociable and making mates, I was late into some events so just got chatting to people in the queue, first weeks of Uni are just like that. You'll meet someone with your package, if not your entire flat - also, if you don't want to go you can sell on the ticket at the time, whereas if you don't have it you're scouring round for a spare one if you don't want to miss out. It's nice to just arrive at Uni and have everything sorted.

It's up to your taste for the packages. I ******* love Inbetweeners, if I was a first year I'd deffo get the Will night, think he's bringing Simon along too. Harris and NDubz will be great events but there's like 7/8 club nights in the main package, including one with 4000 freshers (most nights have half the freshers as the clubs simply aren't big enough - this night is where the two unconfirmed DJ's are - I'll post here once they're official), so you won't be buying a crap package with the standard one, far from it. Its simply how much you want to live it up in them two weeks!
    In the last week of freshers (mon 28-2 oct)do we have course lessons/lectures as well?
    Argh I really dont know which package to buy Most of them are really expensive, Im thinking of getting the gold one but i'm not sure if it'll be worth the price...
    The website is so confusing and im not sure exactly what i'm buying :confused: Is the 'freshers fest' something separate from everything else, if so what is included in the freshers fest? Basically if you dont buy any tickets, you'll be cut off from freshers????

ReputationRep:
    In the last week of freshers (mon 28-2 oct)do we have course lessons/lectures as well?
    Argh I really dont know which package to buy Most of them are really expensive, Im thinking of getting the gold one but i'm not sure if it'll be worth the price...
    The website is so confusing and im not sure exactly what i'm buying :confused: Is the 'freshers fest' something separate from everything else, if so what is included in the freshers fest? Basically if you dont buy any tickets, you'll be cut off from freshers????
    Yeah to be honest. Its one of the things I'm really not looking forward to this year, I work on a committee for home students, and its horrible saying we've run out of allocated tickets, sorry but you have to miss out. Freshers as a whole, we've tried to improve this year, there's 800 more tickets so less disappointed people, but there's always going to be some who miss out.

Its not the end of the world, you'll make mates etc if somehow you don't get a ticket, but not getting one would be a very big error. There's no real alternative Freshers Week - there's one for second/third years, but you don't really want that.

Yeah you have a couple in the last week, but its only really introduction lectures. I had a terrible night out before mine, 10 sambucas was really dumb, and I nearly chundered in my intro lecture lol... but there's no heavy stuff, don't worry about that. And anyway, you'll be going out a lot of nights before lectures throughout the year, trust me! They print lecture notes online, you don't miss too much.

Freshers Fest is like the social introduction to Uni, something called Welcome Weeks is more formal... here's your Guild, here's your library, jobsfair etc, which is all important. Freshers Fest is run by the Guild which is the Students Union, so its not some cowboy thing.

In Freshers Fest standard package is:

Freshers Welcome - Big address at the start to warm up the atmosphere

8 club nights

Live Music Night

Cinema, Bowling, Comedy Club (Jongueleurs) - you kinda use these tickets when you want

Alton Towers - depending on how many tickets your hall buys, and what price if any your hall sells them for

Sports Day

Vale Day (festival around the big lake by mason/shack)

and maybe one or two more little things.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah to be honest. Its one of the things I'm really not looking forward to this year, I work on a committee for home students, and its horrible saying we've run out of allocated tickets, sorry but you have to miss out. Freshers as a whole, we've tried to improve this year, there's 800 more tickets so less disappointed people, but there's always going to be some who miss out.

Its not the end of the world, you'll make mates etc if somehow you don't get a ticket, but not getting one would be a very big error. There's no real alternative Freshers Week - there's one for second/third years, but you don't really want that.

Yeah you have a couple in the last week, but its only really introduction lectures. I had a terrible night out before mine, 10 sambucas was really dumb, and I nearly chundered in my intro lecture lol... but there's no heavy stuff, don't worry about that. And anyway, you'll be going out a lot of nights before lectures throughout the year, trust me! They print lecture notes online, you don't miss too much.

Freshers Fest is like the social introduction to Uni, something called Welcome Weeks is more formal... here's your Guild, here's your library, jobsfair etc, which is all important. Freshers Fest is run by the Guild which is the Students Union, so its not some cowboy thing.

In Freshers Fest standard package is:

Freshers Welcome - Big address at the start to warm up the atmosphere

8 club nights

Live Music Night

Cinema, Bowling, Comedy Club (Jongueleurs) - you kinda use these tickets when you want

Alton Towers - depending on how many tickets your hall buys, and what price if any your hall sells them for

Sports Day

Vale Day (festival around the big lake by mason/shack)

and maybe one or two more little things.
    Ah thanks for the the info.
    How fast do the tickets sell out? i'm still undecided about which to buy but i'll probabbly get it it in mid or late august - would that be too late?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siukingyiu)
    I face 2 problems while booking the freshers fest tickets.

1) I dont have a UK contact phone number yet

2) My home address is in Sweden, and they require a UK-specific postcode

Can anyone help me?
    Wait until you're given the accomodation address and use that?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for the the info.
    How fast do the tickets sell out? i'm still undecided about which to buy but i'll probabbly get it it in mid or late august - would that be too late?
    Not at all, it hasn't even been marketed yet, we're sending out info packs soon. I'd advise to buy them before you get to Uni though which is around the 20th September. There's generally a few hanging around once you get there, but people realise they need to buy them and there's a bit of a rush thats unnecessary.

It also won't sell out as a whole first. There's an allocated amount to each hall. So your hall might sell out before the rest of them do depending on activity.

ReputationRep:
    Just buy the standard package people. You'll be so tired after all those events that you can't be bothered going to the extra events. Last year everyone bought the 'bronze' package (there was ball only, freshers fest only, bronze, silver and gold).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flamin Nora)
    Just buy the standard package people. You'll be so tired after all those events that you can't be bothered going to the extra events. Last year everyone bought the 'bronze' package (there was ball only, freshers fest only, bronze, silver and gold).
    awesome! exactly what i did.. not exactly.. i went one further down. bought the fest only

ReputationRep:
    do u think it's worth it going to the fresher's ball?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christie-k)
    do u think it's worth it going to the fresher's ball?
    Yeah definitely! Everyone goes to the ball. Last year they had some really great radio 1 djs playing. I remember leaving early though because we were sooooo tired from the 4 nights out before.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone getting a Freshers' Fest ticket? It gives entry to nine of the best clubs in birmingham and some social events too. It's £30 on it's own or £45 with a Freshers' Ball ticket.... I'm tempted but don't wanna get it if no-one will be going to these events as it'll be a waste of money obv!

ReputationRep:
    I've ordered mine today - the bronze package for the fest and ball - looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    You should get it cos even if you don't know anyone i'm sure loads of people will go anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.