Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koko-popz)
    No. That's narrow minded.

With my previous boyfriend, who I met at 15.. our relationship (second time round when I was 17) broke down rapidly after a year. Neither of us treated one another properly and it bowed down to the fact we'd both lost respect for one another, and were dragging one another down.
    I ended up kissing someone i went to school with, and not only did the guilt tear me apart but it made me re-evaluate the entire relationship and realise that neither of us were happy. I came clean, and we both moved on our separate ways.

This time round, my boyfriend's in the US, and because of the lessons I have learnt before, I would never behave in that way ever again because I know the destruction it can cause.

That's not to say that some individuals don't become notoriously unfaithful..but the cap doesn't always fit.
    Right, 15 and then 17. I stick with my statement. Of course people 'change' but you will forever be a cheater in my mind. That isn't narrow minded; the label stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by best75)
    I know there's the saying that goes.. 'once a cheat always a cheat', but I'd like to know whether any of you have cheated in the past or in previous relationships and not done it again and wouldn't even dream of it now?

I cheated on my current bf quiet a few times early on in the relationship, and he did the same with me. After so many arguments and things we decided we couldn't be away from each other and decided to go back out. We seem a lot more happier and satisfied with the relationship this time round, and it's been a long time and I've stayed faithful to him. And it seems like he feels the same way.

When we're young we can all make mistakes, so maybe I'm thinking that people can grow out of the cheating phase? And whether it's the same partner or a different one they might not cheat again??
    In honesty, no. No matter how good my intentions, I end up kissing someone else when the relationship hits a bad rough patch, even after a long time of not being remotely interested in anyone else. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    the label stands.
    whatever.
    Some of us have the capacity to move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    Right, 15 and then 17. I stick with my statement. Of course people 'change' but you will forever be a cheater in my mind. That isn't narrow minded; the label stands.
    So no one should ever trust me again because I made a mistake, for which I feel incredibly guilty and have apologised for? Even tho I've admitted I was wrong?

ReputationRep:
    The label doesn't stand, because that means I'm going to cheat on my girlfriend. So as it's set in stone by a bunch of ignorant half-wits who don't believe people can change, I better get on and do it.

The stupidity of some people on this forum amazes me. Just because someone cheats once DOES NOT mean they will do it again.

ReputationRep:
    So those who does cheat - do you tell your current partner that you cheated in previous relationships? I wonder how they react

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashaxxx123)
    So those who does cheat - do you tell your current partner that you cheated in previous relationships? I wonder how they react
    They would react a lot different to lying about it, and then it coming out anyway over time.

Any mature person would look at the individual circumstances behind the cheating, how they cheated and why. I don't think most people in adult relationships are immature enough to paint all ex-cheaters with the same brush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bishman)
    They would react a lot different to lying about it, and then it coming out anyway over time.

Any mature person would look at the individual circumstances behind the cheating, how they cheated and why. I don't think most people in adult relationships are immature enough to paint all ex-cheaters with the same brush.
    But does it really matter why they cheated? cheating is wrong and there are no excuses. your not happy in a relationship with someone you dump them not get with someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I would always be upfront that I had kissed other people in past relationships, but then explain the circumstances. Cheating doesn't often come out of nothing, and it's not the only 'bad' thing you can do in a relationship or do to break the trust in a relationship. It's all very well to say 'well just break up with the person' but that is entirely out of context.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I got together with my current boyfriend about a month after the whole debacle where I cheated, and he kind of already knew about what happened because my ex best friend was a fantastic blabber mouth, but I filled him in on the real version.
    He took the piss out of me about it for a bit that night, but that was it. I promised him I would never cheat on him and as far as I know he believes me. I wouldn't; the circumstances are totally different.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.