Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so I have got a place volunteering at a bookshop, I just would like to know the skills I can aquire from this (the man told me they can help me learn new skills) and also for how long i should volunteer for - right now im totally free but bear in mind my nui is gonna open end of september/beginning of october, so i need to be able to juggle volunteering and my studies together, also maybe i should stop volunteering when uni opens because im doing a really hard subject (maths) and im gonna start year two, where everything starts to count to the final degree classification and i'm not exactly the type that can do something else and keep on top of my studies. Im the sort that needs proper concentration to study effectively.

ReputationRep:
    It will give you the skills for a similar paid position in retail (as in, most retail jobs) or give you a reference for larger volunteering projects! Stop when you want to stop!

ReputationRep:
    If you do uni and volunteering at the same time it will look good on your CV; shows good time management and organisational skills.

ReputationRep:
    That's the best thing about volunteering, you can pick and choose when you work. If you're snowed under with uni work they will be a lot more accepting of you taking time off than paid jobs, and when you have nothing much going on you can go back again.
    I would imagine retail skills, customer relations, that sort of thing.
    Plus it looks really good on your CV to have done some volunteer work. Not entirely sure why though... :/

Volunteering in a retail environment such as this will look good in the future as it shows you are willing to work in such an environment for nothing, rather than only commiting to work for monetary gain you are doing it to be useful and help a community. Also its offering you the chance to develop skills that will be useful in future jobs, customer service skills, time management etc etc

ReputationRep:
    thanks all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.