Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any experiences in a relationship with culture clashes, dating outside race (Indians) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Miss A*)
    Too much of a culture clash in the long term...if you're only looking for a quick shag, then it's ideal!
    the parents wouldn't approve tho...
    This

(Original post by T.G.O.A.T)
    I kinda understand what you mean but in this day and age, especially living in a big city or town in the UK interracial relationships are so much more likely to happen so I guess in time they are gonna just have to deal with it :o:
    You're generally right. Apparently though, in my case, confessing to her pops in the endgame would result in some sort of ultimatum ('me, who made you, or that sonova*****'). So it's rather a case of we're gonna have to deal with it, as opposed to 'they'.

Her mum's a surprisingly cool lady, however (y)

ReputationRep:
    I will quite frankly say, if parents dont want to accept the possibility of their children hooking up with people of a different ethnic origin, then they shouldnt move to a country where they are in the minority. If they wanted their kid to marry an indian boy/girl and would hate anything else (Indian just being an example) they should have stayed in India, its kind of simple really.

If I moved to an African country, I would accept that It is likely my children could fall in love with an African, and I would have no problem with it.

******* hate racists. (And yes it is racism, to those who will inevitably make excuses to try and justify it)

(Original post by Mr. Cool)
    This
    May I ask why exactly?

(Original post by HappySadHappy)
    I love my boyfriend, I am Christian and he is Sikh. I am half caste and he is Indian. So ******* what
    Sounds very cool. Just out of curiosity, in the event of kids, what then? In terms of religion I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    This
    May I ask why exactly?
    Eurgh, why did I even say that? I guess what I meant was casual, passing sex would incur considerably less stress than say their/your racist family putting pressure on you both to end it.

Pardonable?

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, why did I even say that? I guess what I meant was casual, passing sex would incur considerably less stress than say their/your racist family putting pressure on you both to end it.

Pardonable?
    Hehehehe, yes it would incur less stress, but usually you cant help who you fall for, for people like me it isnt really much of a choice. The racist members of my extended family can go **** themselves, I refuse to associate with anyone who holds racist views on principle anyway. Its just another thing that stops the idiots from talking to me and tbh I dont want to hear them in the first place :p:

I am very glad my parents are very accepting and unprejudiced. But anyone who puts family above their own principles isnt worth bothering with imo anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hehehehe, yes it would incur less stress, but usually you cant help who you fall for, for people like me it isnt really much of a choice. The racist members of my extended family can go **** themselves, I refuse to associate with anyone who holds racist views on principle anyway. Its just another thing that stops the idiots from talking to me and tbh I dont want to hear them in the first place :p:

I am very glad my parents are very accepting and unprejudiced. But anyone who puts family above their own principles isnt worth bothering with imo anyway.
    Ahh, glad you agree. The family above principles thing though, I think, is slightly trickier than that. You have to remember family are the people who were there for you from day one. It's not as simple as just shedding them, (although it would be good if it was:p: )..

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, glad you agree. The family above principles thing though, I think, is slightly trickier than that. You have to remember family are the people who were there for you from day one. It's not as simple as just shedding them, (although it would be good if it was:p: )..
    You are presuming that you owe them something for them deciding that they wanted a child and so having one for their own fulfillment. It really is as simple as that as far as I am concerned. I wouldnt make any exceptions for my family, they raised me, yes, but I am an adult and now unless they earn my respect I will not give it to them.

ReputationRep:
    You are presuming that you owe them something for them deciding that they wanted a child and so having one for their own fulfillment. It really is as simple as that as far as I am concerned. I wouldnt make any exceptions for my family, they raised me, yes, but I am an adult and now unless they earn my respect I will not give it to them.
    Can't say I disagree.. Hear, hear :yes:

ReputationRep:
    it depends which 2 races interact, if its japs and chinese than thats going to be a big problem, especially with the older generations. actually its always going to be a bigger problem the older the parents/family members are,as they tend to be more traditional as they get older.

religion and income also play a big role in this.

the main problem with this is not a one night hookup but rather when it come to marrige and children, your taughts on how the children should be raised and evryone else in the familly would differ much more,
    i have seen many marriges between indonesians and europeans, if the girl is european than it tends end badly (she thinks she is a free woman/that thay are equals, while the husband thinks he is the man of the house and what he says goes.id like also to metion that there are no absolutes in this and there are exceptions but it is often the case), the reverse on the other hand seems to work much better.

Indians tend to be very traditional and the phrase "you will marry a nice Indian girl" coming from your parents is quite common

in conclusion, better to avoid if possible, if not, than make sure you end up in the country which has favorable divorce laws for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I'll pass on the offer, thanks.
    That was not an offer, I clearly stated since I was a guy a could be in a relationship with you. That doesnt mean it will happen.

ReputationRep:
    hindus and muslims

ReputationRep:
    lol, change the title, its not just Indians, its most asians in general, I'm middle eastern and my parents are the same
    We (Asians) like keeping it in the race, unless to a person of VERY high standing who the PARENTS approve of.....or you probbs get shipped off....and we all know what that means........................... .....Hairy old wifey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    We (Asians) like keeping it in the race, unless to a person of VERY high standing who the PARENTS approve of
    Of course when Nick Griffin says that we native brits should do/think that, he is a violent racist who hates foriegn people and should be locked up.

God I hate the hypocrisy in th Asian community, it really doesnt do anything for the reputation of the community, hightens racial tensions, the segregation of communities and of course has the added side effect of screwing over all of us who choose to be with people of a different race.

Makes me sad :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Of course when Nick Griffin says that we native brits should do/think that, he is a violent racist who hates foriegn people and should be locked up.

God I hate the hypocrisy in th Asian community, it really doesnt do anything for the reputation of the community, hightens racial tensions, the segregation of communities and of course has the added side effect of screwing over all of us who choose to be with people of a different race.

Makes me sad :cry:

But when he says it, it is in a callous and underhand manner, what I mean is that asians prefer to keep it in, simply because it solves sooooo many problems that an interacial couple would have eg. religious, cultural etc. the fact that they would know diffrent languages would also create mis-trust as the other will always wonder what is bieng said. There is also the old traditional beliefs of man is breadwinner etc. that is completely incompatable with the western thinking of everyone is equal and that the woman can be the breadwinner.
    I personally have no problem with interacial marrages, but I do think that with them, a lot of problems will inevitably come up which will more often than not, lead to divorce

ReputationRep:
    But when he says it, it is in a callous and underhand manner, what I mean is that asians prefer to keep it in, simply because it solves sooooo many problems that an interacial couple would have eg. religious, cultural etc. the fact that they would know diffrent languages would also create mis-trust as the other will always wonder what is bieng said. There is also the old traditional beliefs of man is breadwinner etc. that is completely incompatable with the western thinking of everyone is equal and that the woman can be the breadwinner.
    I personally have no problem with interacial marrages, but I do think that with them, a lot of problems will inevitably come up which will more often than not, lead to divorce
    No when he says it, he repeats all of the BS you have posted above. I find what you are saying rather racist and offensive just like what he says quite frankly.

Jeremy paxman: ''what would you do if your child fell in love with a muslim or asian person?''

NG : ''I would be very dissapointed because I would see two very distinct lines with their own heritage and culture being destroyed''

People should be able to marry whoever they damn well please and nobody has any right to stop them, or raise issue because the person is of a different race. You do realise that most interracial relationships are between people born in the same country? we are all people not a different species, it isnt that hard for us to get along.

ReputationRep:
    One of my close friends (for whom I have feelings) is Indian (Sikh from Punjab, but born in England) and it's hard enough being close friends. Yesterday when drunk with her and others I made some comments that bordered on criticising aspects of her culture and she's threatening to end the friendship now and it's kinda hanging in the balance...

Funny this is I've met her parents a couple of times each and talk to them and the rest of her family on Facebook and we all get on well, although God knows that might change if we went out (which won't happen anyway). She's had one previous boyfriend, another of my close friends (who actually introduced her and me) and she's afraid of telling her parents about him, so I doubt they'd be so receptive.

ReputationRep:
    If that is the actual quote of what he siad, then I have to say I agree with him in part, although I would not say the 2 cultures get destroyed and I don't agree with much of what he says, but I daresay that on this rare occasion, he is peaking from common sense and reason, not bigoted views

ReputationRep:
    If that is the actual quote of what he siad, then I have to say I agree with him in part, although I would not say the 2 cultures get destroyed and I don't agree with much of what he says, but I daresay that on this rare occasion, he is peaking from common sense and reason, not bigoted views
    You do realise that thinking is the cornerstone of BNP policy, and sums up all they say rather well?

You and him are spouting intolerant racist(sorry I will use the correct word : 'ethnonationalist') **** that has no place in a free liberal society.

No parent has any right to deny their child a chance of happiness, because THEY cant deal with it. They are poor parents, who more often than not care more about what the 'community' will think rather than considering their childs feelings and happiness. They are the reason mixed race couples and their children suffer.

If people like you didnt hold intolerant ill informed views like this, there wouldnt be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    true....however I still have to say that you are speaking from a free, liberal western viewpoint, maybe if you went to India or wherever and actually saw the attitudes and reactions of families when things like that happen, then maybe you would agree that in cases where liberal, free thinking culture meets strict conservative culture, then you are going to have a problem....it is then that mixed race marrages should be approached with caution due to the problems, but otherwise i have no problem with them as I have said before, my own personal views are that I personally have no problem with interacial marrages, but I do think that with them, a lot of problems will inevitably come up

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.