The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

infernalcradle
true....however I still have to say that you are speaking from a free, liberal western viewpoint, maybe if you went to India or wherever and actually saw the attitudes and reactions of families when things like that happen, then maybe you would agree that in cases where liberal, free thinking culture meets strict conservative culture, then you are going to have a problem....it is then that mixed race marrages should be approached with caution due to the problems, but otherwise i have no problem with them as I have said before, my own personal views are that I personally have no problem with interacial marrages, but I do think that with them, a lot of problems will inevitably come up

Yes I am speaking from a western liberal standpoint, I am also Speaking from the right standpoint.

Yet again I will say, you do realise most mixed race marriages are between people born in the same country, you are acting like all mixed race marriages are between Full on English people and partners from the most conservative rural parts of India, If you hadnt noticed this is not the case.

You are applying unrealistic logic to mixed race couples, and therefore potentially preventing people from following their own path because you are instilling a false standard and pushing misinformation.
Reply 41
well, of my past relationships, my parents have only really known about two, and i think i gave them the impression for the other ones that they were just friends. my parents are extremely liberal and don't actually care, so i'm not sure why i don't tell them about my relationships and there's never been any issues there.

although on topic, there was sort of a "culture clash" when i took a (white) girl to one of my mum's cousin's very traditional hindu weddings, lot of silent judgment from relatives there (my mum's side is hindu, i'm not sure some of them even approve of dating at all)

hm hopefully that made some sense, doesn't look like it did though :sigh:
Darkness and Mist
Yes I am speaking from a western liberal standpoint, I am also Speaking from the right standpoint.

Yet again I will say, you do realise most mixed race marriages are between people born in the same country, you are acting like all mixed race marriages are between Full on English people and partners from the most conservative rural parts of India, If you hadnt noticed this is not the case.

You are applying unrealistic logic to mixed race couples, and therefore potentially preventing people from following their own path because you are instilling a false standard and pushing misinformation.

I am not for a second implying that what you are saying is the case, and indeed it is not the actual people who have the problem with the interacial marrage, but it is the parents of the Asian who WERE brought up and taught the ultra-conservative views and it will be with them that there will be problems as the child will usually have to make a choice between their partner or their family. By the way, I am not asian so none of these "restrictions" apply to me

Latest