Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

cheapest manual 1.0-1.2litre car to insure? watch

ReputationRep:
    as title

and does the age of the car affect insurance rates? thanks

ReputationRep:
    the nissan micra is pretty cheap to insure, and age will affect your rates but not by much.

ReputationRep:
    matiz.

age will matter as a brand new car could be worth £8k, yet an old Y reg will probably only be worth £500... (depending on car obv.) so the more expensive your car is, the higher the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    the nissan micra is pretty cheap to insure, and age will affect your rates but not by much.
    You'd think so, but I'm struggling to get insurance for less that £2000. Nearly 18, Pass Plus completed, insurance group 2... Though my sister had the older model 1.3 GX Micra and she managed to insure that at 18 when she passed. I hate insurance.

(Original post by Pumpkin7)
    the more expensive your car is, the higher the insurance.
    Just to be fussy: not if it's Third Party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    You'd think so, but I'm struggling to get insurance for less that £2000. Nearly 18, Pass Plus completed, insurance group 2... Though my sister had the older model 1.3 GX Micra and she managed to insure that at 18 when she passed. I hate insurance.

Just to be fussy: not if it's Third Party.
    Get it with the co-op. I got it for #990, I'm 17 and it's a 2litre 306 HDI. I am a named driver though. They were the cheapest by miles for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyPilgrim)
    Get it with the co-op. I got it for #990, I'm 17 and it's a 2litre 306 HDI. I am a named driver though. They were the cheapest by miles for me.
    Direct line here, we have 4 cars insured with them plus the house insurance, they gave the best price, something like £1200 with my dad, mum and sister as named drivers.

ReputationRep:
    Don't just look at 1-1.2l cars, find something completely undesirable and large and you'd probably get a cheaper quote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Don't just look at 1-1.2l cars, find something completely undesirable and large and you'd probably get a cheaper quote.
    Like a 6 litre V12 Aston Martin DB9...:ninja: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Like a 6 litre V12 Aston Martin DB9...:ninja: :p:
    Yes because an AM is an UNDESIRABLE car :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Yes because an AM is an UNDESIRABLE car :rolleyes:
    Sorry just read your post.

Yeah OP, go for a volvo...:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Beige Volvo!!!

I've got a 1.0 '05 Corsa myself. Costs about £1200 including Pass Plus with Direct Line. I don't have a penis though so it'll probably be 65486947892785786943 times more expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    Beige Volvo!!!

I've got a 1.0 '05 Corsa myself. Costs about £1200 including Pass Plus with Direct Line. I don't have a penis though so it'll probably be 65486947892785786943 times more expensive
    loool

ReputationRep:
    fiat punto
    fiat sciento - the tiny little thing
    nissan micra

small and **it cars

not sure but i think the newer the car generally the cheaper the insurance because it has a lot more safety features that older cars dont like airbags etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    matiz.

age will matter as a brand new car could be worth £8k, yet an old Y reg will probably only be worth £500... (depending on car obv.) so the more expensive your car is, the higher the insurance.
    Wrong. Brand new Fiat 500 = about £12K. Insurance group 3 (I think).

1998 Jaguar XK8 = about £6K. Insurance group 20.

ReputationRep:
    A mate whose 19, no no-claims, two years with license just managed to insure his 2CV for £300 as the only driver on the policy.

ReputationRep:
    Cheapest is probably a Morris Minor 1000.
    Strong owners club scene, spares are incredibly plentiful - more so than most classics.
    They also don't have the stigma that mini's seem to have as being bought by "wide boys".

ReputationRep:
    Mini was the first car I managed to find a quote of under £2k for me.
    (17/M/London)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    Beige Volvo!!!

Actually, I believe that insurance is cheaper for those who lack a penis compared with those who own one.

ReputationRep:
    the older in a way the cheaper but it not just about your car you could crash into somes brand new lotus. its cheaper to go 3rd party than comp and to maybe do pass plus. i had a puegeot 106 and on my dads insurance cost bout 400 and i was a learner, depends on the area u live in and where you say u keep your car. I think direct line are good insurers esp if you on someone elses insurance as you build up your own no claims and if you dnt claim in 3 years your insurance will go alot cheaper

ReputationRep:
    cost of the car doesnt always effect it, depending on the cover as claims tend to bestrongly based in brackets (eg losses up to a certain amount, bracket 1, losses up to the next amount bracket 2 etc) meaning that cost of the car doesnt make as big a difference as you'd think wen the cars being compared are under £8k anyway..

Cheapest 1.0's etc will be anything in IG 1 really, Citroen C1 and the like.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/car-insura...-group-1-1.asp

that's a list of IG 1 cars, the Fabia (1.2L), Ka (1.2L) and Fiesta studio (1.25L) are the largest engines of the group.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.