Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've sent in all my student finance and everything, just wondering if you need to apply for the grants?

I rang up the hotline and they told me that all the grants are processed automatically and if you're eligible, they will do it.

I'm a bit unsure about this

Help?

ReputationRep:
    only if you asked for your parents income to be assessed

ReputationRep:
    yes. it has been means tested.

still a little unclear about how it comes though

ReputationRep:
    you should get a letter saying, this the amount your loan will be, then this is the amount your maintenance grant is

grants given by uni, if you allowed them to look at you loan stuff, are done as well automatically

ReputationRep:
    i have sent everything, even my parents have done everything but i havent got a reply yet!

what do i have to now to a grant?

im really confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pouria91)
    i have sent everything, even my parents have done everything but i havent got a reply yet!

what do i have to now to a grant?

im really confused
    it takes time, when do you send it off, was it after the end line in may

grants are based on income, they work all that out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stex Bomb)
    I've sent in all my student finance and everything, just wondering if you need to apply for the grants?

I rang up the hotline and they told me that all the grants are processed automatically and if you're eligible, they will do it.

I'm a bit unsure about this

Help?
    I sent all my information, parents P.60 etc. and I got a reply with just the bare minimum, no maintenance grant and the small maintenance loan, despite specifying to be means tested.

So I phoned up and was told that they give the minimum first and then sort out the means tested part.

Anybody experienced the same?... It is quite worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I sent my of the other day, late i know, but i hadnt decieded if i was going to uni or not.
    So i expect mine will take a while.
    Struggled with alot of the questions for instance the number of weeks i will be there, as we had no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intrepid44)
    I sent all my information, parents P.60 etc. and I got a reply with just the bare minimum, no maintenance grant and the small maintenance loan, despite specifying to be means tested.

So I phoned up and was told that they give the minimum first and then sort out the means tested part.

Anybody experienced the same?... It is quite worrying.

I've been told the exact same and to be honest it is logical.
    Whether we like it or not Student Finance take a large amount of time to process paperwork and some might still be getting processed in September/October (depending on when you sent everything in) - therefore to make sure you have at least some money in September/October they approve your application first and quickly using 'non-means tested' and then process the important paperwork later (financial information etc).
    They can change how much you receive within 9 months of your course starting if your circumstances change or you send them new information.

Note: I am in no way endorsing Student Finance here. They have made some of my days Hell! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    it takes time, when do you send it off, was it after the end line in may

grants are based on income, they work all that out
    i sent it ar middle/end of june i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pouria91)
    i sent it ar middle/end of june i think
    think that was after the deadline :p:

it takes a while for it to all to be done, i did mine for next year back in late march around that time, think its all been sorted now i hope :p:

you should have when uni starts, not the first day of freshers first day of uni

ReputationRep:
    anyone else recieved a letter saying what loands their getting but not saying anything about grants? as i should get the maintenance grant, but i havnt been told if im getting itor not yet, thanks, bri x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brionycox)
    anyone else recieved a letter saying what loands their getting but not saying anything about grants? as i should get the maintenance grant, but i havnt been told if im getting itor not yet, thanks, bri x
    Apparently the grant letter gets sent out after the loan/tution fee one.

So you should receive it soon.

ReputationRep:
    Are the maintenance grants a once-off thing, or can you apply for it every year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.