Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished year 10 and am looking into sixth forms. I am told that this school has great bursaries and scholarship schemes which i would need if i were to attend. Despite my initial interest i dont know much else about the school. I am trying to compare it to shrewsbury school to work out which would be best for me.
    can a kind soul answer the following questions please.
    the competition to gain entry at sixth form, grades and admission process?
    Does the school send many to american universities.
    The number of students who gain entry into oxbridge each year?
    as well as some general pro's and con's when considering to apply there.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    it would be great to hear from pupils of both schools

ReputationRep:
    hhmm warwick schoolers dont like the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Warwick School for just sixth form and can recommend it~

For admissions, there's separate interview and entrance exam days for scholarship and non scholars. I have no idea about the non scholars, but for me I had a fairly easy exam for physics and a fairly easy one for maths. Interview wise I had one with the head of department for 3 of the subjects I was doing, with the head of scholars and the headmaster. Wasn't particularly stressful and wasn't too hard to get a scholarship. I didn't hear of anyone failing to get a place at all so you shouldn't worry about that. In terms of competition, it shouldn't be particularly bad. The worst you'll get is from the potential borders from Hong Kong :P

Grades wise I can't remember at all but don't recall it being particularly high so don't worry~

American universities wise, dunno. The head of scholars went to Princeton and I think he's very helpful in getting people there.

Oxbridgewise I think we usually get 15-20, but I don't really know so don't quote me on that. Having said that, my year did worse than usual, hooray~. I think our head of sixth form, who does all the Oxbridge preparation, was the guy who taught the person who set up that company which helps people get in (the Tell Me About a Banana one I think). So yeah, you basically get the same thing. Practice interviews, help with the entrance exams, lots of advice and lecturey things and what have you.

Pros:
    *Teachers treat you like an adult.
    *Teachers are friendly.
    *Teachers are good at teaching and are happy to sacrifice time to help you~
    *Pupils aren't irritatingly disruptive in class so you actually get stuff done.
    *People are largely friendly and helpful, yay.
    *Lots of support for applying to Oxbridge and university in general.
    *Very good facilities, new science and maths block, hoorays~
    *Very good sense of community.
    *Loads of activities to do on Thursday afternoons in Sixth Form. IE, learn Japanese, learn Arabic, do some science research thing, community service, play card games/cryptic crosswords, write an economics/business mini newspaper thing, clay pigeon shooting, CCF, Young Enterprise, sports etc.
    *Lots of sports you can do on Wednesday. Have facilities for squash, badminton, tennis, hockey, clay pigeon shooting, rugby, water polo and whatever. I just played squash~.
    *Strong sporting teams if you're into that sort of thing, especially rugby and water polo (I think) and I think our fencers were alright last year.
    *Borders from Hong Kong give you instant help for any homework relating to science and maths.
    *MEI Further Maths is good and = choice
    *Lots of trips out to various places if you want to do that. The economics/business department love taking people on football tours in various places round Europe because they can. Lots of rugby tours if you want to do that. I think there was a trip to China at some point and they have a World Challenge trip thing which I know nothing about.
    *Lots of clubs although I just went to fencing a few times.
    *Music department seems really quite competent so that's good?
    *Head of sixth form is awesome.
    *Good choice of subjects that are considered proper~. Politics is apparantly a guarranteed A with the teacher in question but I wouldn't know.
    *Low staff turnover rate means there's lots of experienced ones around.
    *Pastoral care is very good. Also there's a doctor there so yay. I think there's a physio around some time as well.
    *Free ice buns on Friday if you get there quick enough at break. Also free coffee then and on Tuesday + free biscuits. That's always good. (for Sixth Form)

Cons:
    *Have to pay if you don't get a full scholarship/bursaries/whatever.
    *Um.

Regardless, I may think of more to say later. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I personally loved it there so yeah.
    *Had to do general studies but I think that's gone now.

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot, that was really helpful.
    how many people are normally in a year? need to work out oxbridge percentage
    i dont live near warwick so am gonna need to board. is there more competition for places to board, with the international students?
    what would you say are the subjects that are taught the best?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about things to do with boarding but I don't think competition is much of a problem.

In terms of subjects taught well, politics is apparantly an instant A. I personally thought teaching for further maths and physics was good and umm economics I just read my textbook and didn't really pay attention so can't say too much :P. Haven't done philosophy for a year so can't really remember. I recall one of the teachers being particularly good though.

In terms of the number of people in the year, I think somewhere between 120-130.

For two more pros:
    *There's like 20 or something prefects so if you want to be one to put on CV or whatever you've got a good chance.
    *There are loads of people who come in to do talks. Especially for politics I think?

ReputationRep:
    A male friend of mine goes there, and yes as I was told there are a lot of boarders from Hong Kong.

It is a good school and under such financial crisis I doubt it would be too difficult for you to get into Warwick... Their A Level results are excellent and the Rugby team is meant to be one of the best school teams in UK schools. The only bad point (according to my friend) is that there are no girls haha. But I think the comments above should have given you more than enough info about Warwick

I would reccomend Warwick over Shrewsbury, personally.

ReputationRep:
    no girls?

does anybody have numbers on the percentage of girls there?

ReputationRep:
    It's a boys school. One of the girl's schools, Kings High, shares some subjects and Thursday activity things with Warwick though. Classics being the main shared one I think?

To be honest I talked to more girls while at Warwick than at a mixed school.

Which is a bit weird really.

ReputationRep:
    yep thanks again -you are a real godsend, i was quite worried
    what are the interviews like with the subject people, and the headmaster?

ReputationRep:
    So what other sixth forms you interested in applying too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    I have just finished year 10 and am looking into sixth forms. I am told that this school has great bursaries and scholarship schemes which i would need if i were to attend. Despite my initial interest i dont know much else about the school. I am trying to compare it to shrewsbury school to work out which would be best for me.
    can a kind soul answer the following questions please.
    the competition to gain entry at sixth form, grades and admission process?
    Does the school send many to american universities.
    The number of students who gain entry into oxbridge each year?
    as well as some general pro's and con's when considering to apply there.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I've already told you all about Shrewsbury School . Shrewsbury is also brilliant for bursaries and scholarships and I thoroughly recommend applying there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizzabelle)
    I've already told you all about Shrewsbury School . Shrewsbury is also brilliant for bursaries and scholarships and I thoroughly recommend applying there.
    i am going to apply to both schools most likely. could you tell me a bit about the interview process shrewsbury. what kinda of questions did they ask? who interviews you?

ReputationRep:
    Your interviewer is picked at random out of a selection of people(usually):
    The headmaster himself..who interviewed me and gave me full marks ,
    Various housemasters/mistresses of houses,
    OR a head of department.

They just ask you questions about what you've written in your personal statement which you have to write along with your application form. What they ask is very random. Expect a puzzle or a question that will trick your brain or fool you into a wrong answer..but don't worry - they will explain where you went wrong if you do. I advise that you look around the school before applying.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the information.
    am stuck there. personal statements. am not sure what to write, how much about my interests which stem form the subjects i want to study at AS or my activates and about myself. could you please tell me a bit about the statement you wrote and the content you chose to put in.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the information.
    am stuck there. personal statements. am not sure what to write, how much about my interests which stem form the subjects i want to study at AS or my activates and about myself. could you please tell me a bit about the statement you wrote and the content you chose to put in.
    I could, but I don't really want to. My personal statement is exactly that..personal. I wrote from the heart, no edits, no drafts.
    I hand wrote it and it turned out brilliantly because I was honest and had a lot to write about. It is a reflection of you, so write it how you think is best..I'll give you a tip: write a bit about why you like the subjects you wish to study there.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the tip. i think i understand abit more. am just going to write it the way i want to.

ReputationRep:
    erm just wondering what interests you in applying so far away? warwick school and shrewsburry are like 60 miles away from eachother. So even if you live halfway between the two its not very feasible as far as transport goes.
    What deters you from going to a local private school?

My advice would be to apply in the london area as there are many long established private schools there with deccent scholarship schemes. I can tell your choice bears great consideration on oxbridge acceptance rate and west minister school in london has the highest oxbridge acceptance rate of any school in UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaknow61)
    erm just wondering what interests you in applying so far away? warwick school and shrewsburry are like 60 miles away from eachother. So even if you live halfway between the two its not very feasible as far as transport goes.
    What deters you from going to a local private school?

My advice would be to apply in the london area as there are many long established private schools there with deccent scholarship schemes. I can tell your choice bears great consideration on oxbridge acceptance rate and west minister school in london has the highest oxbridge acceptance rate of any school in UK.
    I will be boarding, so locaion is not an issue. THe older institutions seem more eliteist. i dont think i would fit. The boarding schools mentioned seem more for me, and i can see myself there, and still getting into top universties. The london schools are also seem more competitive.

ReputationRep:
    I will be boarding, so locaion is not an issue. THe older institutions seem more eliteist. i dont think i would fit. The boarding schools mentioned seem more for me, and i can see myself there, and still getting into top universties. The london schools are also seem more competitive.
    That makes a lot of sense the elitist nature of the older ones can be a put off.

So have you decided on your A level choice yet?
    what subjects are you most likely going to take?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.