Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    I will be boarding, so locaion is not an issue. THe older institutions seem more eliteist. i dont think i would fit. The boarding schools mentioned seem more for me, and i can see myself there, and still getting into top universties. The london schools are also seem more competitive.
    Another way to look as it is that the competition may drive you to work harder and produce better results..I'd prefer to go to the most competitive school around if that's the case. Shrewsbury is full of very intelligent students with extreme potential, there is most definitely an air of competitivity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikipedia)
    Warwick School is an independent school (Public School) day and boarding school for boys in Warwick, England, and is reputed to be the third-oldest surviving school in the country after King's School, Canterbury and St Peter's School, York.
    :P

Not remotely elitist though so whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaknow61)

So have you decided on your A level choice yet?
    what subjects are you most likely going to take?

i'm thinking maths, chemistry, history, bilology.

i want to do PPE or medicine.
    if i go for PPE i'll drop biology.
    if i go for medicine i'll drop history.

most likely i'll be applying for PPE though.

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking maths, chemistry, history, bilology.

i want to do PPE or medicine.
    if i go for PPE i'll drop biology.
    if i go for medicine i'll drop history.

most likely i'll be applying for PPE though.
    I think you have both degrees covered with those a levels.

What universities you thinking of applying to other than oxbridge?

ReputationRep:

What universities you thinking of applying to other than oxbridge?
    for PPE
    oxford
    warwick
    LSE
    manchester
    i also wish to apply to some american univeristies

ReputationRep:
    for PPE
    oxford
    warwick
    LSE
    manchester
    i also wish to apply to some american univeristies
    good choice
    but the top 3 require triple A dont they? in that case i guess your confident you will make triple A.

So what US universities are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:

So what US universities are you thinking of applying to?
    not sure about witch american universities to apply to. I hope to apply to prestigious universities which come into the same league as oxbridge. so mostly ivy league, still not very specific.

ReputationRep:
    not sure about witch american universities to apply to. I hope to apply to prestigious universities which come into the same league as oxbridge. so mostly ivy league, still not very specific.
    In that case Harvard or stanford would be worth applying too.
    The thing is though you will have to sit a SAT paper to get in, unless they have changed it? but im sure you will be prepared for it.

So what are you thinking career wise if you go down the PPE route? civil service? politics?

ReputationRep:
    The PPE will keep you in good stead if you want to do politics after all david cameron, george osborne etc are all PPE guys.

ReputationRep:
    true, what do think is harder. getting into medicine at good med schools such as imperial ucl nottingham ect. or getting into ppe at oxford/LSE pol and eco

ReputationRep:
    true, what do think is harder. getting into medicine at good med schools such as imperial ucl nottingham ect. or getting into ppe at oxford/LSE pol and eco
    Im not too sure tbh.
    I guess LSE/oxford will be harder than notts/leeds and maybe even ucl.
    But as far as LSE/oxford vs imperial medicine its a toughy. But then again it doesnt really matter where you get your med degree from you become a doctor lol.

I would personally go with PPE as you have flexibility to do a variety of jobs but with medicine your gonna be a doctor or if your deviant a coroner lol.

civil service is pretty good nowaday. Guys with PPEs are everywhere in civil service even in the bank of england, the leading think tanks etc,

ReputationRep:
    Problem is with medicine you need more extracurriculars than most other students like medlink, voluntary work etc and the job is pretty stressul like 48 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    I will be boarding, so locaion is not an issue. THe older institutions seem more eliteist. i dont think i would fit. The boarding schools mentioned seem more for me, and i can see myself there, and still getting into top universties. The london schools are also seem more competitive.
    I dont recommend it as a boarding school, as there are very few english boarders there, which can make the ones that do feel quite lonely. Also if your looking for any form of bursary I doubt they give it to cover full boarding

ReputationRep:
    Having realised how negitive my above post is, other than the points mentioned above, I can fault nothing with the school and pupils willing to work rarely come away with anything other than a massively positive experience of the school... (I really struggle to imagine myself having had a better time anywhere else)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogkicker91)
    I dont recommend it as a boarding school, as there are very few english boarders there, which can make the ones that do feel quite lonely. Also if your looking for any form of bursary I doubt they give it to cover full boarding
    Yeah the boarders are mainly from Hong Kong, well thats what one of my friends told me.

ReputationRep:
    i wont feel lonely, most of my friends are Asian. I have a chinese friend. know bit about the culture to. probs enjoy it more.

ReputationRep:
    besides from that, i just want to know how hard it is to get in there.

ReputationRep:
    besides from that, i just want to know how hard it is to get in there.
    If thats not a problem then youd probably love it.

Its not a terribly academicly selective school, if your on the student room your probably clever enough to get in comfortably...

ReputationRep:
    well lets hope. my school report isnt that good. but i ave read around my subjects a lot and i'm truly enthusiastic about them. I am also willing to revise a lot for the subject tests. i just hope my school report doesnt let me down.

ReputationRep:
    American Universities?

Shrewsbury runs SAT prep courses, as well as organising the actual tests for you...

Send me a message - I'm at Shrewsbury now, going into U6th. I am a girl (obviously) but I'm sure I can answer any questions you have

xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.