Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So what other private school are you thinking of applying to other than Warwick and shrewsburry? I have some friends in several private schools i know through sport and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    So what other private schools are you thinking of apart from shrewsburry and warwick?
    I might be of some assistance as i have several friends at different private schools through sports matches and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    well those are the ones i have come across whilst searching on the net. if u could recommend other institutions that are similar to warwick and shrewsbury, or just very good. i would be thankful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    well those are the ones i have come across whilst searching on the net. if u could recommend other institutions that are similar to warwick and shrewsbury, or just very good. i would be thankful.
    Charterhouse, Harrow, Winchester, Eton... don't think they have large 6th Form intakes though. Umm nearer to you that are mixed are Uppingham, Oakham, Oundle.

By the way I've never really heard of Warwick school, you might want to look at more widely-known ones.

Random q. but what school are you at now? I live in Nottinghamshire and I'm at Shrewsbury.

xx

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the information. oundle school looked nice, i may attend their open day. the more well known schools seem to elitist and competitive, and i dont think i would feel comfortable there. oh and i go to the west bridgford comprehensive school.

ReputationRep:
    Uppingham is pretty good from what ive heard from people that go there, and it is primarily a boarding school unlike the two previously mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    erm there's also dulwich college which is pretty good. Should give that a look. What you think of it?

What are your predicted GCSE grades as this would have great bearing on any sixth form applications?

ReputationRep:
    i enquired about Dulwich, but they have little bursaries and only musical scholarships.
    as for predicted, havent been given yet. i have only just started yr 11 so havent got my predictions. it would probably be 9 a/a*'s three B's and even a C.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok. i will give you some others later then.

those predicted grades are excellent for some of the non-elitest private schools as 8-9 A/A*s is all that is required for a bursary/scholarship. Your in a very good position with 12 GCSEs most students from private schools do just 9-10 GCSEs. Think about it only 22% of all GCSEs are awarded with A/A* so your in the top 10% easy. In fact in non-elitest private schools just over half get 9 or more As and A*s (roughly but differs from school to school).

Dont worry you will have no problems getting in.

ReputationRep:
    I hear brighton college and concord college in shropshire are excellent. Both are not that elitist and have very high % of pupils gaining As and Bs something like 90%+ if i remember correctly and probably offer good scholarship/bursary schemes.

ReputationRep:
    so far i have short-listed these five colleges, warwick school, shrewsbury, brighton college, oundle school, nottingham high. would it be possible for someone to give their opinion by ranking them? from top[most into Oxbridge grades, etc] to bottom. I have no preference when it comes to geography, i would simpy go to the best school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogkicker91)
    Uppingham is pretty good from what ive heard from people that go there, and it is primarily a boarding school unlike the two previously mentioned.
    Shrewsbury is primarily a boarding school... about 80-90% board. Day boys/girls are in the minority. Plus they're really strict about only being able to go home on specific weekends. Unlike some schools (Charterhouse, Wellington)

Threadstarter - My brother's at Nottingham High. Can't fault it. But there's a big difference between there and the other schools you list.

Shrewsbury are really supportive on Oxbridge entrants. you're assigned a tutor who knows best about the subject you want to read. You have frequent tutorials with them, exploring the topic and your interests.

ReputationRep:
    i can say pretty definitely from best to not as good.

1st- Brighton college- 95% achieve As and Bs (70% awarded As), i have heard a large number going into oxbridge something like 15!!!, check yourself.
    2nd- Oundle school-90% achieve As and Bs
    3rd- Warwick school-85% As and Bs
    3rd- Shrewsburry school-80% As and Bs (like 50% As) but as someone pointed out it prepares you for SAT and US uni application. Also 33% of students got 3 or more As!!!!.
    4th- Nottingham high school-80% As and Bs, no help if you wanna go US, if you have any friends or family at nottingham high ask them since you live in west bridgford which is in nottingham unless im getting confused where trent bridge cricket ground is?

All schools above provide good coaching for oxbridge especially the top 2.
    As far as the joint 3rd go i would put shrewsburry above warwick as it offers help with applications to the US which you seem pretty interested in.

Hope that was enlightening.
    be sure to tell me of your final decision.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe-02)
    Threadstarter - My brother's at Nottingham High. Can't fault it. But there's a big difference between there and the other schools you list.

Shrewsbury are really supportive on Oxbridge entrants. you're assigned a tutor who knows best about the subject you want to read. You have frequent tutorials with them, exploring the topic and your interests.
    I guess you can shed some first hand experiences on nottingham high school because i dont know much apart from the % As and Bs and the fact that it does not help with US uni application and seems to be far behind the other schools we have talked about.

BTW in the previous post OP you can still go into politics with medicine via the public health route or just standing for election for your local council or through BMA ect. If you want to go into politics it is an advantage to have had a career outside politics, before running for an election. However if you want to enter civil service, definitely apply for PPE, although if your on the fence and just interested in politics you can do medicine and have politics as a hobby on the side and later in life pursue a political career if you in the end decide you want to make a difference through politics.

ReputationRep:
    ^
    my sister did say u can do anything with a med degree, but i didnt think politics is an option. knowing that medicine look more appealing but i still dont have any real work experience so cant decide just yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.