Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi People

I'm a new user here and I've just finished my first year at university and my accommodation halls used to fine me over the smallest things. I decided not to pay them then and I have now received a letter at home with a final notice that I have to pay a total of £85.

The letter says if I do not pay the fine my guarantor will be contacted for payment (parents) and they will take legal action.

I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced anything like this before? And if so do I really have to pay? I mean are these accommodation halls for real about going to court and stuff?

Its ridiculous, they will find any little reason to fine students!

ReputationRep:
    Just pay it for goodness' sake. You probably know exactly why you were fined. So put up with it and accept the consequences of your actions.

ReputationRep:
    They cant really afford not to pursue these fees otherwise there would just be taken as the joke you seem to think they are. My uni doesnt let people graduate if they have fines outstanding which is a bit harsh but the message is the same:
    Just pay the fines. You should have and probably could have (if they were indeed unjustified) disputed them at the time

What sort of thing are they for?

ReputationRep:
    Pay them or you won't graduate. Or let you re-enrol for next year.

ReputationRep:
    What did you even do?

Pay it, student halls are generally pretty cheap (comparatively) anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are serious just like any other company that you may have a debt with.

ReputationRep:
    This is y i make sure i do the inventory at beginning of the year =)

ReputationRep:
    Pay it, but follow it up. Our warden warned us that we would be charged for every little thing (dirt in kitchen lights, cracks in lights, etc etc) but said we could always contact him if we felt the charges were too much. Maybe contact your halls manager or the head of student accommodation services? It's always worth doing a bit of complaining about and see what you can get out of it.

ReputationRep:
    its only £85 pounds thats basically nothing to a student anyway just pay it and yes the uni prob will take you to court

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.