Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where is your surname most common? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Surnames.aspx

Simply type it in, then go 'geographical location'

ReputationRep:
    "There were no results found for your selection. There needed to be at least 100 people with the name on the Electoral Register in 1998 to be in the database. We are hoping to add these missing names at a later date." :-(

ReputationRep:
    According to that, fairly common all over, but particularly in the south-west. Least common in Wales and the Scottish Highlands

ReputationRep:
    Me and my sister are probably the only ones in the world with our full surname (double barrelled, one extremely uncommon).

ReputationRep:
    Wales - with Shrewsbury having the most

-x-

ReputationRep:
    According to that some tiny places in England, but it's a manx name so Isle of Man, just about everyone's related to me in some way or another

Harrow, Greater London

Not surprised. :awesome:

Nowhere. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    A lot in a small area of Western Scotland, a lot in London, a lot in the North West, then there's only a few other areas with any (where I live it's white)

ReputationRep:
    South West and East Anglia. However in East Anglia, it's more common in Norwich, which is highly ironic as I'm from Ipswich...

ReputationRep:
    Outside my family it's very unlikely that anyone in Britain has ever shared my surname. It (and variants) are common in Finland - where my family originated - though

ReputationRep:
    Most common in Hampshire (where I live) and the Isle of Wight.
    Least common everywhere else, it seems.

Johal is most common in Southall, Twickenham and Ilford.

Not surprised either. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    A lot in a small area of Western Scotland, a lot in London, a lot in the North West, then there's only a few other areas with any (where I live it's white)
    If you then click on geographical location, above the map, it gives you the exact town with most occurences

ReputationRep:
    Most common in Colchester and Milton Keynes, and generally in the South East. Weirdly there are barely any people with my surname in Wales, even though my dad who the surname was passed to me from, is Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    My names overall come from Scotland and the North West

ReputationRep:
    There were no results found for my selection. I didn't think there would be, somehow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    If you then click on geographical location, above the map, it gives you the exact town with most occurences
    Cheers for that (it was Liverpool for both of the years)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Cheers for that (it was Liverpool for both of the years)
    Mine is Stockport

ReputationRep:
    all over Wales

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.