Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice needed for a friend-ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE DEGREE FAILED? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Well this person i know failed her second year at Nottingham Trent-accounting and finance degree.

The uni said that she could redo her second year 2008-09 but would be capped at just a pass 40%.

Well, now she has failed 2 exams but cannot resit them. The uni has notified her after a decision with the assessment board stating that she needs to terminate studies and that they wont allow her to resit.

Is there a chance she can appeal against this decision or won't her case be strong?

If not, what do you think she should do now?

This person has been affected by parents divorce and has had problems.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I doubt she'd be able to appeal if she's already re-sat,did she tell the uni of her problems? I've failed my first year due to ill health/family stuff and in the process of sorting out suspending my studies etc but I doubt your friend would be able to do that if she has already done the required resits. best advice would be to speak to the uni again or try and see if she can get a transfer to a similar course at another uni,however I am no expert so my advice to your friend would be to speak to a tutor at uni or a student advisor of some sort

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    No she didnt notify her uni of her problems this year. She redid her 2nd year and she would be capped at 40% for every module. but shes failed 2 now u see.

ReputationRep:
    ouch.....ummm well it sounds as if shes majorly screwed....and if she didnt pass her retake year then maybe uni isnt for her.

ReputationRep:
    Erm,

The best thing she can do is ask the tutors, head of year studies and so on herself. It does sound like they have made a final decision though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    No she didnt notify her uni of her problems this year. She redid her 2nd year and she would be capped at 40% for every module. but shes failed 2 now u see.
    She might've had a chance if she'd spoken to them about the problems then they could've taken it in to account and offered her support but as she never then I doubt they'll do anything. Like suggested your friend would be best off speaking to the head tutor etc to see what the options are.

AJxx
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Failing the same year not once, but twice, suggests that someone probably shouldn't be at university, or at least not doing that particular degree at that time. How many chances do you want them to give her?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.