Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can buyer on gumtree be trusted? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Ive advertised a watch on gumtree for 40pounds and got a reply stating the following:-

Dear seller,
    I saw this item much enviable to what I'd need as a gift for my Husband who is on an intensive programmed with chevron abroad in Malaysia.If you'll be able to allow me to purchase it right away, I'll be glad to offer you £100.00 GBP including the shipping and handling via ROYAL MAIL or PARCEL FORCE as i will be paying you via PayPal bcos is fast and secure pls if this is ok by you kindly get back to me with your pay pal valid email address or you may send me a payment request to ***************
    Regards
    Sharon

does this seem like a legit reply? And will I be secure to provide a paypal account detail and send it to malaysia via royal mail?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't send it to Malaysia.

In summary, NO, NO, NO!

ReputationRep:
    Sure just make sure your paypal account has a good password, and don't accept an email from paypal as proof of payment. Log in and check as fake emails have been sent before. Also work out postage costs first...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    Hey

Ive advertised a watch on gumtree for 40pounds and got a reply stating the following:-

Dear seller,
    I saw this item much enviable to what I'd need as a gift for my Husband who is on an intensive programmed with chevron abroad in Malaysia.If you'll be able to allow me to purchase it right away, I'll be glad to offer you £100.00 GBP including the shipping and handling via ROYAL MAIL or PARCEL FORCE as i will be paying you via PayPal bcos is fast and secure pls if this is ok by you kindly get back to me with your pay pal valid email address or you may send me a payment request to [email protected]
    Regards
    Sharon

does this seem like a legit reply? And will I be secure to provide a paypal account detail and send it to malaysia via royal mail?

Either you're trying to advertise what your selling but if not the so intended interested buyer's reply is too detailed, I would suggest that you do open up another seperate paypal account that is not linked you either your personal address or bank account information.

ReputationRep:
    nah im not adverstising the watch on here lol. But im really really confused. the buyers offered me 100pounds when im selling at 40. And he wants it in malaysia?

So what should I do? Open a new paypal account then what? Do I register my bank details?

ReputationRep:
    ??? the person has also provided me a malaysia number:s

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.